PDA

View Full Version : Proud New Owner!

Ironbutt
06-05-11, 09:14
After months of research, I finally hit the "Add To Cart" button on a DDM4 V3 upper.

It arrived on Friday, but I haven't gotten to shoot it yet, because my gun club was hosting a SASS Cowboy Action shoot all weekend. I'll be out with it first thing Monday though.

A few questions for DD experts:
First. The front pin fits very tight when I attach it to my M&P 15 lower; to the point where it needs a few light taps to insert the pin. Normal? The rear pin goes in easily.
Second question. I've been reloading 52-55gr/Varget for the M&P 1:9 barrel, but would like to go heavier, maybe 69-77gr, for the 1:7 DD barrel. Does this barrel show a preference for bullet weight?

DocHolliday01
06-05-11, 09:23
1/7 twist will typically stabilize heavier bullets better than a 1/9. Best way to know for sure is to just try some different weights and see.

Ironbutt
06-05-11, 09:30
1/7 twist will typically stabilize heavier bullets better than a 1/9. Best way to know for sure is to just try some different weights and see.

Yeah; I knew the answer to that before I asked it. I have lots of Varget & 4895 on hand, so I think I'll just get some 77gr SBTHP's & start the process of working up loads.

geistacwm
06-05-11, 13:15
Congrats.

Should be a reliable piece.

CoryCop25
06-05-11, 14:54
Unless you are shooting long range, 77gr is not very economical for range work. I keep in the 55 to 62 grain range for training and use 75 to 77 for defense ammo. My business guns are zeroed at 50 yards with 75 gr ammo so I just compensate when I use my training ammo and use a couple of 75gr at the end of my shooting session to make sure I am dialed in before going to work. I use mostly DD CHF barrels in my builds and 68 grain Hornady OTM shoot the tightest groups.

Are you talking about Topton Fish and Game by chance?

CoryCop25
06-05-11, 14:56
As for your first question, the pins should loosen up after a little use. Just give it some time. It's perfectly normal.

Ironbutt
06-05-11, 23:21
Unless you are shooting long range, 77gr is not very economical for range work. I keep in the 55 to 62 grain range for training and use 75 to 77 for defense ammo. My business guns are zeroed at 50 yards with 75 gr ammo so I just compensate when I use my training ammo and use a couple of 75gr at the end of my shooting session to make sure I am dialed in before going to work. I use mostly DD CHF barrels in my builds and 68 grain Hornady OTM shoot the tightest groups.

Are you talking about Topton Fish and Game by chance?

Thanks. That's kinda' what I had in mind. I'll keep loading the lighter stuff for range work. I just have to get a few boxes of various weight bullets & see what the gun likes the best.

No, I belong to the Ickesburg Sportsman's Assn. (Perry County). They're really big into cowboy action shooting & have a nice setup. When nobody's using the CA range, I love to run it with my 1911. You can burn up 3-500 rounds real quick.

CoryCop25
06-06-11, 10:51
Good luck and happy shooting.

jd1123
09-18-11, 15:18
For your front pin - I don't know how common this is, but it's happened to me before. I replaced the front pin (if you have the part, more frustrating than difficult) and everything worked fine. It's most likely the pin and not the receiver, but I'm speaking from my own experience only.

I've had a DDM4v3 for a while now - it was my first AR purchase. It eats everything well - I have not seen any noticeable accuracy issues with any weight bullet. I fire 55gr and 62gr at the range, sometimes take out the 69gr and 75gr. All about the same for me, but I am no expert marksman.

All in all, the rifle has performed phenomenally over the past year and a half. I have several thousand rounds through it.

After months of research, I finally hit the "Add To Cart" button on a DDM4 V3 upper. You made a great decision.

It arrived on Friday, but I haven't gotten to shoot it yet, because my gun club was hosting a SASS Cowboy Action shoot all weekend. I'll be out with it first thing Monday though.

A few questions for DD experts:
First. The front pin fits very tight when I attach it to my M&P 15 lower; to the point where it needs a few light taps to insert the pin. Normal? The rear pin goes in easily.
Second question. I've been reloading 52-55gr/Varget for the M&P 1:9 barrel, but would like to go heavier, maybe 69-77gr, for the 1:7 DD barrel. Does this barrel show a preference for bullet weight?