PDA

View Full Version : ccw holster OWB choice

Linea_de_Fuego
10-15-07, 12:40
http://members.aol.com/gunpics/1980.jpg

Do you all feel that the pancake style above is better for a G19 than a classic loop and tunnel design like this?

http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/images/hl/hl_tss.jpg

Akoni
10-15-07, 12:46
Do you all feel that the pancake style above is better for a G19 than a classic loop and tunnel design like this?

Yes..

Alpha Sierra
10-16-07, 21:23
Yes..

+1

Pancakes are the only OWBs that I can hide well.

Linea_de_Fuego
10-17-07, 00:20
+1

Pancakes are the only OWBs that I can hide well.

I wondered about that and called the company to ask their recommendation. I was told that the owner and son both use the Askins style model. The reasoning for this choice as I understand was because of the smaller surface area of the Askins. I was more concerned about how tightly it carries next to my side. If it does not do well for me I can always go with the pancake next.

Lumpy196
10-17-07, 01:38
The reasoning for this choice as I understand was because of the smaller surface area of the Askins.

As far as Im concerned, a holster with a "smaller surface area" just means its not as likely to distribute the guns weight as well.

The Askins design makes a great holster for open carry or for range games, but Ive yet to meet anyone that liked it for a serious concealment rig.

I prefer Kramer's horsehide beltscabbard. Its thinner, and holds the gun very close to the body.

Alpha Sierra
10-17-07, 05:47
As far as Im concerned, a holster with a "smaller surface area" just means its not as likely to distribute the guns weight as well.
Agreed. And I should add that I have not found a kydex OWB holster that does not stick out like a sore thumb unless I wear ridiculously oversized shirts.

Sam
10-17-07, 06:17
Bruce Nelson designed the classic "loop and tunnel" scabbard that's widely copied (authorized and unauthorized) by several makers. Col. Askin didn't design this holster, Bianchi stuck his name on their interpretation of the Nelson rig. Milt Sparks and Lou Alessi are the only two companies that Nelson officially passed the torch to after he couldn't keep up with the demand.

Linea_de_Fuego
10-17-07, 12:48
Thanks you all for the sage advice. I did change the order to a pancake like this.
http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/images/hl/hl_2145.jpg

Canonshooter
10-17-07, 17:39
No doubt pancake holsters conceal the best because they pull the grip section in tight against the body.

No doubt pancake holsters are the least comfortable of the two because they pull the grip section in tight against the body.

Akoni
10-17-07, 18:15
Agreed. And I should add that I have not found a kydex OWB holster that does not stick out like a sore thumb unless I wear ridiculously oversized shirts.

Standby for a review (getting enuff carry time on it to do it) of the Raven Concealment Systems kydex rig. I think they are on the right track to a concealment kydex rig. For OWB, I'm still a fan of my Kramer belt scabbards but the RCS rig may turn out to be a viable alternative if you prefer kydex.

signal4l
10-17-07, 21:25
Buy one of these:

www.ravenconcealment.com

You can wear it any way you want. Best holster I have tried. I can comfortably hide my M&P 45 under a light shirt.

signal4l
10-17-07, 22:52
Akoni--

I missed your post and your reference to RCS holsters. I would recommend purchasing the "wings" for $15 when you place your order. They would convert the holster to a pancake type and would pull the weapon in even closer.

Akoni
10-18-07, 07:52
Akoni--

I missed your post and your reference to RCS holsters. I would recommend purchasing the "wings" for $15 when you place your order. They would convert the holster to a pancake type and would pull the weapon in even closer.

I have several of the various available attachment options that I'm trying out.

stony275
10-25-07, 14:13
I'll be the first to admit that I was skeptical at best about RCS (Raven Concealment Systems) holsters. I wore a Kramer horsehide holster for the better part of a year practically every day while doing PSD work in Iraq.

I am now wearing the RCS Phantom and their dual magazine pouch. I've been back in country (Iraq) almost a month now and I find their gear very comfortable, it conceals extremely well and find the the holster holds my weapon well, but when I draw it, there is a very clean release for lack of a better term. There's not the drag that I've found with other holsters.

A key thing that has not been mentioned is the modularity of RCS. You can add a flashlight scabbard to the magazine carrier. They can also make a backup gun holster to mount to the mag carrier. I know of two people (one a very prominent firearms instructor and another who is also well known) who have either requested or already have RCS S&W J frame holsters to mount to their mag carries.

Finally, if you want to carry a weapons light on your pistol, the RCS Phantom does a great job of doing this.

I'm not slamming the Kramer belt scabbard at all, I still have it and it beats the hell out of the Uncle Mikes injection molded holster we were/are issued. But my recommendation to someone who is looking for a true concealed carry holster (as opposed to an IDPA approved holster) would be to give the RCS very serious consideration.

Short Bus
10-25-07, 20:22
Do you all feel that the pancake style above is better for a G19 than a classic loop and tunnel design ...

I don't think either design is inherently better than the other. The gun, overgarment, carry position, preferred draw stroke, your body type, and quality of construction are all considerations in selecting a holster. The type of holster should be dictated by them, not the other way around.

All holsters are not created equal. Some tunnel & loop designs pull the butt of the gun in just as well as a pancake design. The pancake typically takes up more space on the belt.

FWIW, when I wore leather holsters, I was partial to Kramer and Milt Sparks.

Alpha Sierra
10-25-07, 21:23
I've heard enough good things about Kevin Manley's holster over on Defensivecarry.com that I have ordered two Cochise Defenders, one for a S&W 637 and one for a S&W 915. I will probably order one for my K frame as well.

I am also thinking of ordering a Laredo Defender for all the above guns.

Cochise Defender
http://kdholsters.com/images/cochise-brown-bg-2-ss.jpg

Laredo Defender
http://kdholsters.com/images/laredo-shark-bg-s.jpg

Linea_de_Fuego
10-27-07, 22:33
The holster came in today, looks good, feels good (has shield not evident in image) and rides well against my side. It has too much retention now since it is new.

Will silicone spray make the inside slicker for break in or is there a better product? The inside is pretty smooth but unlined.

Shrike9
10-28-07, 05:08
The holster came in today, looks good, feels good (has shield not evident in image) and rides well against my side. It has too much retention now since it is new.

Will silicone spray make the inside slicker for break in or is there a better product? The inside is pretty smooth but unlined.

Do NOT use a silicone spray, it will ruin the holster :eek: :eek:

Mitch Rosen has a product called Leather Lighting & Rusty Sherrick has a product called Hyde Glyde that's cheaper than the LL and ya get more in the bottle. I've got both and while they are about the same I'd recommend Hyde Glyde as ya get more for your $$$$

Linea_de_Fuego
10-28-07, 11:19
Do NOT use a silicone spray, it will ruin the holster :eek: :eek:

Mitch Rosen has a product called Leather Lighting & Rusty Sherrick has a product called Hyde Glyde that's cheaper than the LL and ya get more in the bottle. I've got both and while they are about the same I'd recommend Hyde Glyde as ya get more for your $$$$
I read that Leather Lightning was silicone based. I have not done anything yet but keep the pistol in the holster.

Alpha Sierra
10-28-07, 17:37
Watch TV with the holster in one hand and the pistol on the other. Insert and remove pistol from holster about 100 times in a row. That will break it in a bit. Also wearing the holster tends to soften it up inside a tad.

Sam
10-31-07, 20:42
With recommendation from signal4l and posts by members here and at 10-8, I ordered an RCS Phantom holster for my 1911.

Got the holster today. Wow, this is the most concealable kydex holster in the whole wide world of sports! In its OWB configuration, the holster held my 1911close to my side and minimize butt/grip printing. I ordered the "over hooks" to convert it to IWB, to try to mimic the Threat Solutions/Dave Vaughn Ultimate Concealment holster. It works great also, but without the long wait and lack of response like Threat Solutions. Although the "over hooks" were a bitch to install, I bet the rubber belt loops might be easier to deal with.

Those who want one of these better order fast before they become well known and get flooded with requests.