PDA

View Full Version : What's a good 3Gun Muzzle Bake or Comp?

snipekon
06-06-11, 10:05
I've been shootin the 100yd range with open sights lately, and I've really started to notice how much my rifle jumps. It's more of a horizontal kick, but it does have a bit of push upwards. I was doing some searching and found a few that looked like good options; BattleComp, Phantom, SJC Titan Brake, and Demon Tactical. Anyone familiar with these? Recommended for competition use? I honestly have no idea where to start. I may just buy two and see which one works for me, but that isn't the economic route is it... :confused:

snakedoctor
06-06-11, 12:22
SJC Titan for competition shooting. BattleComp for Tactical shooting.

snipekon
06-06-11, 12:36
So next question, is there a specific one for a 16" barrel? I'd look but I'm on my phone. Is there any other makes/brands besides the Titan to look at? I don't want to look like a NST wanna be.

wahoo95
06-06-11, 12:43
The Titan is super sweet comp for competition use. They are very loud but the gun won't move at all! As stated above the BattleComp works great for more Tactical use. I personally use a BC and have been happy. I plan to build an 18" upper which I will mount a Titan to. Another option to consider are the inexpensive Miculek comps......they are very effective and priced right around $50!

snipekon
06-06-11, 12:53
That Miculek looks a little like the Titan. I might purchase that one and see if I like it. I do use a DPMS AP4. I know what y'all are saying bout the BC but unless the dudes in their videos are shooting 35gr they have such little recoil at all!! What makes it different than a competition comp? I wont be shooting competition till at least December anyways, so I have time to try a few out I guess.

wahoo95
06-06-11, 13:03
The BC cust down on movement a great dealm however its still not a full fledged Compensator. Comps like the Titan make for NO movement rather than reduced movement with the trade off being excessive blast and flash. The BC works more like a happy medium of being agood comp and a good flash hider all in one. There are better Comps and Flash hiders on the market but not really many that can do both jobs well like the BC.

snipekon
06-06-11, 13:35
Should have caught that, since that was one of BC's big selling points. ha. I just purchased the Miculek, and I hope to have it in by Friday for a Saturday range day. I just hope it doesn't really affect my accuracy to much negative. At 100yrds open sights, 55gr soft tip, 16" 1in9 Barrel i'm averaging 6" groupings. I couldn't tell you if that is good or not? I've only shot that rifle 5-6 times.

xpd54
06-07-11, 04:09
I run a Surefire MB556K on my 3G rifle. I like it alot.

snipekon
06-08-11, 18:57
I got the Miculek Brake in, and timed to 1o'clock. It pretty much tightened that way and then that's what Mr. Miculek told me to do. :) Saturday or Sunday I'll report back with my opinion. If no bueno, I'll check out that Surefire one. It seems pretty reasonable. Though I must say, this brake just makes sense in the design and theory. Can't wait to try it out.

snake eater 332
06-08-11, 20:04
I run a Surefire MB556K on my 3G rifle. I like it alot.

+1 for the Surefire MB556K.

Alaskapopo
06-08-11, 21:15
I like the SJC Titan comp designed by Eric Lund. It works great.
Watch the lack of muzzle movement when I shoot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI8GgHGnDlQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jqSn5LEcwo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlLvl-yrRVo

This is the rifle in the videos above.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/AR%20style%20rifles/NoveskeRogueHunter.jpg

I also have it on my Larue Stealth precision set up.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/AR%20style%20rifles/LarueStealth.jpg

snipekon
06-09-11, 12:58
I like the SJC Titan comp designed by Eric Lund. It works great.
Watch the lack of muzzle movement when I shoot.

Holy crap, I should have caught it was the muzzle brake. Here I am thinking these dudes just have super strength and some super enhanced battle stance or something. I mean, I knew it wasn't that, but I honestly didn't think it would have made that much difference. I can't wait to see how this Miculek does. I will try and have videos and pictures to compare to the Titan. I may just have to get my buddy to buy a surefire or titan so I can try them too.

prc77
06-09-11, 19:06
JP is another well liked comp.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.3_tre.php

Jesse Tischauser
06-12-11, 18:38
I like the Triangle Shooting Sports rolling thunder comp from Brownells because you can "tune" it to force mote gas up and either left or right away from your support hand.

snipekon
06-13-11, 09:39
Yeah, so hit the range, but impatient me; I shot a different grain than normal. I have been wanting to try something new and I should have waited till next week. Well, I shot a 62 grain soft point.

So the Miculek is freakin loud. The concussion blast was knocking my buddy off target while he was scoped in on the lane next to me.

The kick is little to none, and the muzzle rise isn't noticeable if there is any at all. On the bench and freehand.

I can't say much for anything else due to the fact I did terrible. Embarrassing.

Jesse Tischauser
06-13-11, 09:56
Yeah, so hit the range, but impatient me; I shot a different grain than normal. I have been wanting to try something new and I should have waited till next week. Well, I shot a 62 grain soft point.

So the Miculek is freakin loud. The concussion blast was knocking my buddy off target while he was scoped in on the lane next to me.

The kick is little to none, and the muzzle rise isn't noticeable if there is any at all. On the bench and freehand.

I can't say much for anything else due to the fact I did terrible. Embarrassing.

U think the miculek is loud? Wait until you shoot the rolling thunder or Titan in an enclosed area! There is a reason why they work so well.

snipekon
06-13-11, 10:01
Thanks! Now I know never too shoot those inside. I wouldn't even shoot this one inside! Glad I have an outdoor range! Besides the 90-100 degree heat! Good thing for shade.

ccoker
06-13-11, 11:07
ha, I went to an indoor range yesterday because it's the most convenient one..

the RO tried to put me next to a guy with a bolt action that was obviously trying to dial in a scope...

I told him "that guy is NOT going to be happy with me next to him" and to please put me over a stall or 2

Was testing a few uppers with varying comps, Titan, MSTN, Nordic Tactical.

I hate shooting a comp indoors off a bench and only do it if I have no other choice due to time...

kelly neal
06-13-11, 11:09
The Rolling Thunder comp has a a lot of fans - and rightly so.

snipekon
06-13-11, 11:17
The Rolling Thunder comp has a a lot of fans - and rightly so.

Well when ever I build a stainless steel AR I will probably check that one out.

For now, I'm going to start looking into training and some matches to see if the Miculek is good enough. Then I will look into the SF, JP, Titan, Rolling Thunder, etc.

Clint
06-13-11, 11:56
Was testing a few uppers with varying comps, Titan, MSTN, Nordic Tactical.

I hate shooting a comp indoors off a bench and only do it if I have no other choice due to time...

That looks like a pretty short list...;)

Cold
06-13-11, 15:28
We prefer either the SJC TITAN or SF MB556K (or either 308 equivalent) for competitive shooting.