PDA

View Full Version : AK-74 and 5.45x39

TigerStripe
10-15-07, 12:56
I've been thinking about buying an AK74 or 5.45 Krink. I've seen on some sites where people are stating that the 5.45 ammo will dry up and make an AK74 useless. People are saying to get a 7.62x39 or 5.56. Any opinions, agreeing with or contesting that claim? All info with truly be appreciated.

TIA,

TS

TOrrock
10-15-07, 13:00
I'm not as worried about the 5.45mm drying up as I once was. There is Russian commercial ammo available, as there is a metric shit-ton of surplus 7N6 from 3 countries coming in currently.

Russian, Bulgarian, and Polish. There's actually a glut on the market right now, and there's more coming in.

I really enjoy my AK-74. It's a very light recoiling, flat shooting little rifle.

I think that if you're at all interested in an AK, you should pick at least one up in 7.62x39mm and 5.45x39mm.

Hopet that helps.

M4arc
10-15-07, 15:01
In addition to Wolf I see that Golden Tiger is now making and selling 5.45!

While it's more expensive than the surplus 7N6 it is readily available.

tiger seven
10-15-07, 15:12
I was at the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot on Saturday and I actually saw more 5.45 ammo for sale than 7.62x39 or 5.56 and .223.

Made me wish I had an AK-74...

Derek

M4arc
10-15-07, 15:35
I was at the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot on Saturday and I actually saw more 5.45 ammo for sale than 7.62x39 or 5.56 and .223.

Made me wish I had an AK-74...

Derek

What kind of prices were they asking for the 5.45?

tiger seven
10-15-07, 16:07
What kind of prices were they asking for the 5.45?

If I recall correctly, most of it seemed to be in the $150-170 per thousand range. I think it was mostly Wolf and Golden Tiger. I wish I had more details but I was really only shopping for 5.56 and 9mm. I just remember seeing many, many cases of 5.45 (and several full pallets of it) and wishing 5.56 were that cheap...

Derek

M4arc
10-15-07, 16:20
Thanks Derek.

That sounds about right. I've see Wolf & Golden Tiger mostly goes for $160/1000 on the internet and in the shops.

Razoreye
10-15-07, 20:20
Wasn't it a few years ago that "all the 5.45 is drying up" posts abounded? I laughed at them and still do now. :p

DamnYank!
10-15-07, 21:14
recommended ak74 assembled and ready to go for under $800? looked at some from Ohio Rapid Fire but thats about it so far. love the skeleton side folder like in TigerStripe's avatar.

Shihan
10-15-07, 21:31
Is all the surplus stuff corrosive? I have been thinking of picking up a 74 but im trying to decide if I want to stock another personal caliber and than I have to make sure I have plenty of mags for it and parts. What parts do or do not interchange from the AKM?

TigerStripe
10-17-07, 02:45
Is all the surplus stuff corrosive? I have been thinking of picking up a 74 but im trying to decide if I want to stock another personal caliber and than I have to make sure I have plenty of mags for it and parts. What parts do or do not interchange from the AKM?

I've read that the surplus is corrosive and isn't corrosive and I'm talking about the milsurp Russian/Bulgarian, so I don't know for sure. I may buying or building that AK74 or Krink-type after reading about the ammo situation.

Thanks,

TS

M4arc
10-17-07, 06:11
Yes, it is corrosive.

Obiwan
10-17-07, 07:11
"Wasn't it a few years ago that "all the 5.45 is drying up" posts abounded?"

I actually got into a "discussion" on another board just recently

The classic satament "it won't be cheap or available for long"

But no specifics...heck I can predict things will get more expensive

Funny thing is the guy was saying how much cheaper 5.56 was to make....more use, etc......and yet here it is more than double the price

Lumpy196
10-17-07, 07:22
My concern is that there is no domestic producer of 5.45.

Yes its available now, but who knows what will happen in the world ammunition market and the politics that can affect it.

It could dry up quick.

Of course that could just be over-thinking it considering the initial investment in the weapon platform isnt overwhelming and few of us on this board at least would have it as a primary weapon ;)

TOrrock
10-17-07, 07:24
recommended ak74 assembled and ready to go for under $800? looked at some from Ohio Rapid Fire but thats about it so far. love the skeleton side folder like in TigerStripe's avatar.

Well, Atlantic Firearms has some rifles built on Polish Tantal kits that should be really nice.

If you can, try to find an Arsenal Inc. SLR-105A1, they're the best of the breed.

Baring that, I'd get the best condition kit that Ohio Rapidfire has and send it to be built up on a DCI/NODAK receiver.

And yes, ALL surplus 5.45x39mm is corrosive. No bid deal.

TigerStripe
10-17-07, 15:18

That's mine as well.

Yes its available now, but who knows what will happen in the world ammunition market and the politics that can affect it. It could dry up quick.

True, especially with the upcoming elections.

Of course that could just be over-thinking it considering the initial investment in the weapon platform isnt overwhelming and few of us on this board at least would have it as a primary weapon ;)
Hmm... Configuration...???

TS

JOHNO
10-19-07, 14:45

Yes its available now, but who knows what will happen in the world ammunition market and the politics that can affect it.

It could dry up quick.

Buy it cheap and stack it deep!

IrishDevil
10-19-07, 20:12
I have one of the Tantal's from Atlantic, it's a nice rifle. It's a great shooter, noticeably more accurate at extended ranges than my 7.62x39 guns (not that the others are inaccurate). I've only shot 70 grain Wolf so far, I'm keeping the surplus for a rainy day, reminds me I need to buy some more.:D

DamnYank!
10-19-07, 20:18
I have one of the Tantal's from Atlantic, it's a nice rifle. It's a great shooter, noticeably more accurate at extended ranges than my 7.62x39 guns (not that the others are inaccurate). I've only shot 70 grain Wolf so far, I'm keeping the surplus for a rainy day, reminds me I need to buy some more.:D

fixed or folder? how are they with support and warranty backup?

TigerStripe
10-19-07, 20:38
fixed or folder? how are they with support and warranty backup?

What he said...

TS

IrishDevil
10-19-07, 21:13
I bought the folder, because it was all they had at the time. Changed it to an old wooden Romy stock I had in the parts box, before I ever fired it. As far as Atlantic goes, I've had no problems with them, had my ffl fax his info and they shipped the gun the next day. Rifle has seen a little over 2,000 rounds of Wolf 70 grain, no malfunctions and pretty accurate, it groups comparably to my AR's at 100. Mags used are black Bulgarians, and Polish steel mags. I'm running mine with the BlackJack Swift lever, and a VCAS for the sling. Looking to change the muzzle brake from the Polish grenade launcher type to something else, don't know yet as choices are limited due to the barrel extended past the threads on the Tantal's. In short, get one, they are SWEET! Oh yeah, there is no scope rail mount on the receiver, as is the case with most American receivers.