PDA

View Full Version : Knights Micro BUIS Worth the wait???

bmuoio
06-06-11, 12:28
I have been reading many threads relating to the supply in demand. These sight are defiantly the most sought after. I like the idea of adjustable elevation in a small package. I had to get an straight answer from KAC so I just got off the phone with them. They said manufacturing is at full production on those and still can't make enough to fill military orders. What's your take??

Biggy
06-06-11, 12:36
I have been reading many threads relating to the supply in demand. These sight are defiantly the most sought after. I like the idea of adjustable elevation in a small package. I had to get an straight answer from KAC so I just got off the phone with them. They said manufacturing is at full production on those and still can't make enough to fill military orders. What's your take??

I have had good luck finding hard to get KAC components at www.gungalleryjax.com

wahoo95
06-06-11, 12:36
Guess it depends on how you plan to use them. Its very nice to have elevation adjustments in such a small package!

I personally I'm fine with the PRI Rear and Troy front I use. They don't have me the ability to adjust elevation on the fly in the rear, however they seem to work very well for back up sights. I have them set up with a 300yd zero and have no problem hitting anything man sized from 300yds and in which is fine since I'm running them on a 11.5" AR.

I assume they'd be a welcome addition to a Rifl or SPR where the ability to make finer adjustments out past 300yds may be needed.

ALCOAR
06-06-11, 12:38

lifebreath
06-06-11, 14:16
I don't care for the 300m without elevation. Either of the 600m versions are functional and will clear a scope nicely when folded. With a red dot, I'd go with a fixed rear sight with a flippable large/small aperture and elevation, like an LMT or DD.

Dave_M
06-06-11, 14:21
Edited because I'm a tard', haha

kmrtnsn
06-06-11, 14:34
I have the Troys on three rifles, two standard, one set Micro. Very satisfied with them.

ALCOAR
06-06-11, 15:08

Hammertime
06-06-11, 21:26
They are great and there is no wait - just go to a website that has them in stock and buy them. They are in stock multiple places.

You'll love em.

They are well thought out. They are backups in every sense of the word for me - I would never try to adjust them in the field. Just set them up for ImpBSZero (50yd/200m) - you'll be set.

bmuoio
06-06-11, 22:16
They are great and there is no wait - just go to a website that has them in stock and buy them. They are in stock multiple places.

You'll love em.

They are well thought out. They are backups in every sense of the word for me - I would never try to adjust them in the field. Just set them up for ImpBSZero (50yd/200m) - you'll be set.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc250/bmuoio/knights.jpg

JohnnyC
06-07-11, 02:55
KAC BUIS? Absolutely the best on the market IMO. I like them better than the Troys, and haven't had a single problem on them on any of my rifles. Have about 5 sets of them. Statistically that's irrelevant. They've got an IDIQ contract for the fronts, I'm not sure about the rears, but obviously they're not pieces of crap.

Magic_Salad0892
06-07-11, 03:23
KAC is all I'll use. 600m Micro rears, and M4 flip up fronts, however I will be transitioning to Micro fronts at some point as well. I have one Micro front, and three M4 Flip ups. One is getting donated to a wounded vet I know as soon as I get another Micro.

99merckx
06-07-11, 10:46
Just a side note here, (I use both the 300m, and the 600m 'buffalo' rear KAC sights on my rifles), did you guys know the Taurus USA does the mim casting for KAC rear sights? I don't know if they assemble them as well, but there it is. Since they are both Florida companys, I guess that's not suprising, but for some reason I don't know how I feel about this, based on the amount of money I paid for them. I still use, and will use them, however.

Warg
06-07-11, 11:15
They're accurate, low profile, pretty light and hold zero well. I do not employ them as dedicated or backup sights for any HD or SHTF rifle, however, due to how easily they can be folded.

uniform64
06-07-11, 11:31
Just a side note here, (I use both the 300m, and the 600m 'buffalo' rear KAC sights on my rifles), did you guys know the Taurus USA does the mim casting for KAC rear sights? I don't know if they assemble them as well, but there it is. Since they are both Florida companys, I guess that's not suprising, but for some reason I don't know how I feel about this, based on the amount of money I paid for them. I still use, and will use them, however.

What's "buffalo"?

Folks that use the 300m sight, do you find that it could withstand hard use?

Thanks

Rattlehead
06-07-11, 14:08
I've used a lot of rear sights, but the KAC always comes out to be the one I prefer. It doesn't get in the way, and it's robust. Money well spent.

Jsaleen
06-07-11, 18:26
Gun Gallery has the 200-600 Meter Micro's in stock, I called and ordered one today. Gun Gallery is a very respectable place to deal with, just call them up and tell them what you want.

I have had good luck finding hard to get KAC components at www.gungalleryjax.com

Meplat
06-07-11, 23:32

I have a hard time believing this, where exactly did you hear or get this information from?

ryanschmidt65
06-08-11, 00:02
Try to find a pair, they are great

99merckx
06-08-11, 10:39
I have a hard time believing this, where exactly did you hear or get this information from?

I saw them molding/firing the USMC bases on Guns and Ammo T.V.
There is nothing else that looks like the KAC 600m USMC rear sight.
Shouldn't be too hard to believe, a lot of companys farm out small parts, just look at Colt.
Maybe I'm wrong, but who else holds the contract for the USMC buis?

JSantoro
06-08-11, 15:07
Folks that use the 300m sight, do you find that it could withstand hard use?

They are extremely able to take hard use.

That said, there is one thing that should be checked upon receipt, and looked for as the thing is used.

-Mount it.
-Flip it form stowed to UP, and back a few times.
-Observe the windage knob to see if it turns when flipping the thing in either direction.

It's not common, but I've seen it happen on 4 sights out of a new batch of 100, and sporadically in other batches (I don't know in what count batches the original receiver gets them; the ones I saw had been re-packaged and were in 100-count batches). I have one that does that on my Noveske upper, but the one on my BCM upper does not. Being uncommon is not the same as not being potentially undesirable, so check it out.

Personally, I don't care, as I take the "BU" part of "BUIS" seriously (if I flip it up to use because oh-shit-my-RDS-is-down, I would have to be idiotically preoccupied by such minutae to worry about it being off by 1 click of windage), but for those who DO care, it's the only thing on that baby that I could concievably be called a no-go.

It's certainly worthy of rogering up to the vendor, if present.

Titleist
06-08-11, 15:21
All of my Micro rear sights do this windage-drift, and I can basically duplicate the issue 4 out of 5 times.

I've witness-marked the windage once I have it dialed in for this very reason. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed it. It's not a deal breaker by any means.

charmcitycop
06-08-11, 19:30

uniform64
06-08-11, 21:52
Does the windage drift thing happen to the non micro 300m sight?

kdcgrohl
06-14-11, 08:24
They are extremely able to take hard use.

That said, there is one thing that should be checked upon receipt, and looked for as the thing is used.

-Mount it.
-Flip it form stowed to UP, and back a few times.
-Observe the windage knob to see if it turns when flipping the thing in either direction.

It's not common, but I've seen it happen on 4 sights out of a new batch of 100, and sporadically in other batches (I don't know in what count batches the original receiver gets them; the ones I saw had been re-packaged and were in 100-count batches). I have one that does that on my Noveske upper, but the one on my BCM upper does not. Being uncommon is not the same as not being potentially undesirable, so check it out.

Personally, I don't care, as I take the "BU" part of "BUIS" seriously (if I flip it up to use because oh-shit-my-RDS-is-down, I would have to be idiotically preoccupied by such minutae to worry about it being off by 1 click of windage), but for those who DO care, it's the only thing on that baby that I could concievably be called a no-go.

It's certainly worthy of rogering up to the vendor, if present.

Just checked my 3 examples. No movement.

WS6
09-14-13, 09:51
All of my Micro rear sights do this windage-drift, and I can basically duplicate the issue 4 out of 5 times.

I've witness-marked the windage once I have it dialed in for this very reason. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed it. It's not a deal breaker by any means.

Do they still do this, or did KAC make any changes?

JohnN
09-14-13, 10:32
Just checked a rear micro that is installed on one of my rifles and there is no movement.

A bit off topic but does anyone have an opinion on 300meter vs 600meter offset sights.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-14-13, 11:55
Having owned two 200-600m Micros and one 300m micro, I can say that they are top notch. However, with the MBUS Pro out, I cant see any reason to spend the high dollar amount on the KAC anymore.

Remember, BUIS has "Back Up" in the name.

Caeser25
09-14-13, 13:24
Just checked a rear micro that is installed on one of my rifles and there is no movement.

A bit off topic but does anyone have an opinion on 300meter vs 600meter offset sights.

I like the 600m rear sight. I disliked the front sight and replaced it with a DD fixed front sight. The plastic aperture of the 300m rear fell out one day. I bought a new one from operation parts and superglued it in until I upgraded to the 600m.

jpmuscle
09-14-13, 13:34
Having owned two 200-600m Micros and one 300m micro, I can say that they are top notch. However, with the MBUS Pro out, I cant see any reason to spend the high dollar amount on the KAC anymore.

Remember, BUIS has "Back Up" in the name.

I agree to a point as the shrouded front sight is still a nice option for that reason in and of itself.

Boba Fett v2
09-14-13, 13:46

Don't know about the 300m offsets, but the 600m offsets are great. Perfect when using a low power variable optic. Very pleased with this set-up.

http://imageshack.us/a/img844/6172/k8fo.jpg

MountainRaven
09-14-13, 14:02

I just checked my Micro rear and there is a little bit of movement on the wind, but not enough to actually 'click' over and the movement appears to be by the same amount going up each time and the same amount going down each time.

As for 300m versus 600m....

I would say that for 99% of what 99% of people do, the 300m will fit the bill. But, as others have mentioned, with the MBUS Pro, I'm not sure that there is anything the KAC will do that the Magpul doesn't do for much less. Ditto the front sight, unless you're running a DD M4A1 RIS II.

All that being said, I am very fond of the 600m Micro. It's my favorite folding rear sight and the only folding rear sight I plan on using from here on out, unless/until something better comes out.

WS6
09-18-13, 00:02
I got my KAC Micro 300M fixed elevation sight today.

-It fits rails perfectly straight

-It is as depicted in pictures

-The retention of the "stalk" is positive, but not absurd (easily operated)

-The windage adjustments are very positive, and take conscious effort to make

-I placed the windage wheel in-between detents and flipped the sight up and down half a dozen times. When I went to adjust the windage wheel, it was still between detents. I also adjusted the stalk up and down while placing pressure in the corresponding direction on the windage wheel. It required significant effort to adjust, even when performed in concert with moving the stalk up or down in that same direction. When you move the stalk, it does "tease" at the wheel a bit, but this appears to be normal play in the system. That is the only movement of the windage I got while manipulating the stalk and TRYING to get movement.

I assume this means that mine is good to go, and I won't have to worry about it ever doing this? or have any of you noticed that a sight began doing this after some time. I understand that it's an assembly defect and either they will do it initially and then stop, or never do it at all.

Caduceus
09-18-13, 07:52
But, as others have mentioned, with the MBUS Pro, I'm not sure that there is anything the KAC will do that the Magpul doesn't do for much less.

Snipped for content ...

Overall I agree. However, used KAC's run a lot cheaper than the magpul; I just got 4 (600m) at $40 each from a dealer on TOS. The new Magpul's can't be found anywhere near that price yet.

Tzook
09-18-13, 11:52
I do think the KAC sights are probably the best in the game, however; taking into account how much I actually USE my BUIS, Troys work just fine for me.

Aimpoint's don't break bro ;)

WS6
09-18-13, 12:00
I do think the KAC sights are probably the best in the game, however; taking into account how much I actually USE my BUIS, Troys work just fine for me.

Aimpoint's don't break bro ;)

I understand. I went with the Eotech because it has a better reputation for reliability on this forum based on user feedback, as well as the fact that I'm faster with it (the fact that almost all of the Delta I have shot with use one also helped push me). I still want quality BUIS, though!

Boba Fett v2
09-18-13, 12:22
I understand. I went with the Eotech because it has a better reputation for reliability on this forum based on user feedback, as well as the fact that I'm faster with it (the fact that almost all of the Delta I have shot with use one also helped push me). I still want quality BUIS, though!

Newer Eotechs seem to be less problematic, but the older models not so much. I've shot with a lot of long tabbers and Tier 1 types as well, and there is about as much consensus on which is the preferred sight among that group as there is among the message board commandos.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

Tzook
09-18-13, 14:28

I absolutely hear you, and that's always a smart move. All I'm saying is for me personally, the Troys are good enough kit for how much I actually use them

Boba Fett v2
09-18-13, 15:27
I absolutely hear you, and that's always a smart move. All I'm saying is for me personally, the Troys are good enough kit for how much I actually use them

I probably use my offset BUIS more than I need to, primarily to sustain my proficiency in transitioning from high mag to irons for near targets. So for me quality irons are a must. With that said, Troys are excellent sights, more BUIS than the casual shooter needs, so I think we can rate them much higher than "good enough". ;)