PDA

View Full Version : AR15 /silencers help needed

acegoesbang
10-15-07, 13:29
First off I would like to say hello to everyone and that I am new to the forum. I have a few projects at hand but heres the concerning one . I have a dpms 20' ss bbl varmint , I have just ordered a Chip mccormick drop in trigger group ..
My next task is putting a silencer on it and have decided on a ranger 2, my ? what do I have to expect from the can is it qiet and how qiet ,, Is it accurate and how accurate and say I work up a good subsonic load will that make it holywood qiet ??? and post would be great and ideas coments on the trigger group would also be great I have never used a CMC trigger it should be here in about 4 days .

rob_s
10-15-07, 13:34
As a general rule, suppressed .223 sounds like unsuppressed .22LR.

Subsonic .223 is pretty much a waste of time. The bullet drops too fast to be of any use at distance, and it's too light to have any momentum under the sound barrier. Subsonic is best with heavy bullets.

markm
10-15-07, 13:36
I can only give you advice on one piece of your scenario. DON'T ORDER AN AAC CAN THROUGH YOUR DEALER!

ONLY buy one if it's already in stock.... unless you have 6 or more months before you actually want the silencer.

Tuukka
10-16-07, 02:13

Subsonic .223 is pretty much a waste of time. The bullet drops too fast to be of any use at distance, and it's too light to have any momentum under the sound barrier. Subsonic is best with heavy bullets.

Unsuppressed .22LR rifles run in the 140-145 dB range, depending on whether subsonic or supersonic ammo is used.

Typically the top 5.56mm suppressors are c. 133-135 suppressed, so the sound pressure levels are actually lower than on the unsuppressed .22 LR rifle.

rob_s
10-16-07, 04:32
I was just trying to give him a rough idea of what to expect, and make sure that he's not expecting that "pfffft" noise from the movies. ;)

Shadow6
10-16-07, 10:57

+1. "Hollywood" suppression is gonna be pretty difficult to achieve with .223 even with a decent can and subs.

-Doc

acegoesbang
10-16-07, 12:04
yeah I figured getting it qiet would be a trick but I mainly just wanna do away with ear protection and retain accuracy ..... so if I can make it sound close to a 22lr that would be great I just threw the ? about subs' in there cuz I thought they might be fun to play with . I figured even at only 1100 fps it would get the job done out to 100 yards on a coyote head shot with out maybe messing up the chance of a few others trying to come in ?

nationwide
10-16-07, 12:44

No... unsuppressed .22LR will make my ears ring (tinnitus), suppressed M193 out of 16" and 11.5" barrels does not.

rob_s
10-16-07, 12:47
No... unsuppressed .22LR will make my ears ring (tinnitus), suppressed M193 out of 16" and 11.5" barrels does not.

Neither one has ever given me a problem.

nationwide
10-16-07, 13:01
Neither one has ever given me a problem.

Maybe I'm just a big pussy??? :eek:

rob_s
10-16-07, 13:37
I doubt it. It probably just has to do with ammo selection, type of rifle used, shooting environment, etc.

markm
10-16-07, 14:30
Oh Snap! My dealer JUST called, and my friggin M4-1000 has arrived!:eek:

acegoesbang
10-17-07, 01:54
:eek: I seen them but I think they have QD system and i want a thread mount my barrel is 1 inch though tit woul dbe better to taper it down to the threads kinda concave to the can .....

about the ringing of ears I have probs out of mine busted my left ear drum twice two lil pin wholes that have scared over first time really ringing them 410 darenger under concrete bridge frog gigin didn't wanna shoot it there but had choice ears or cotton mouth (I don't like poisonous snakes) and like them less when it's knight time and their in the water with me . I've heard tales of snakes not being ables to bite when in the water (not to sure on that ) but i asure you they wont bite with out a head :D

I have done other stupid this 44 black hawk standing next to the house
45/70 Gov't TC super 16 port off of tool box of truck back glass really hurts the ears
And the worst ever 30 carbine revolver fire across the passenger seat of the pick up never shoot a 30 cabine pistol of any kind with out ear plugs tell you the truth just don't shoot one it's pointless lol

Robb Jensen
10-17-07, 05:09
First off I would like to say hello to everyone and that I am new to the forum. I have a few projects at hand but heres the concerning one . I have a dpms 20' ss bbl varmint , I have just ordered a Chip mccormick drop in trigger group ..
My next task is putting a silencer on it and have decided on a ranger 2, my ? what do I have to expect from the can is it qiet and how qiet ,, Is it accurate and how accurate and say I work up a good subsonic load will that make it holywood qiet ??? and post would be great and ideas coments on the trigger group would also be great I have never used a CMC trigger it should be here in about 4 days .

McCormick is an okay trigger for a match rifle. I much prefer Geissele 1st followed by JP 2nd. Subsonic .223 is a waste of time, it isn't going to cycle the gun and has pretty short range. Not much is really Hollywood quiet except for maybe .300 whisper with subsonic and an efficient can and friend of mine is a Class II manufacturer and his .30 cal cans on a .300 whisper are even quieter than my wifes Ruger 10/22 and Ruger 22/45 AAC Pilot suppressed with Remington subsonic.