PDA

View Full Version : When does round 2 of the Obama gun buying frenzy start?

a1fabweld
06-06-11, 21:48
We all remember the crazy frenzy a few years ago that started about 6 months before the chosen one was sworn in. Everything was backordered, DPMS uppers were selling for $800, & 5.56 was $.50 per round & up. When does the next frenzy start & do you think it will be worse than the last one?

SteyrAUG
06-06-11, 22:21
We all remember the crazy frenzy a few years ago that started about 6 months before the chosen one was sworn in. Everything was backordered, DPMS uppers were selling for $800, & 5.56 was $.50 per round & up. When does the next frenzy start & do you think it will be worse than the last one?

As I don't think he is stupid enough to hurt his election chances by announcing something as polarizing as new gun control intentions I think it will happen AFTER he is re elected, assuming he is.

I doubt it will be as bad as the last time, a LOT of people learned the hard way about gun speculation (the time to buy was LONG BEFORE the demand) when they bought at premium prices and then the bottom fell out.

And if we do get another ban it will probably take some time for the panic prices to set in like in 89 and 94. At first there will still be a strong supply and only a slight initial price increase. And only after the supply is dried up (probably take a few years) will prices actually trend up into the collectors market.

Ironically right now is still a pretty bottom dollar BUY TIME. You really can't get hurt buying right now even if there is never a gun ban. Prices are as depressed as they are going to get and only recently has the regular gun market started moving. Up until a couple months ago it was only the collectors market and the super steals that were actually moving.

The real factor is going to be what happens when the economy sufficiently recovers and your average guy once again has a gun budget for toys. That is when you are going to start seeing some runs on things. And one of the first gun markets that will whip back to correction prices will be the NFA market when that happens.

The one I'd like to see correct is ammo prices which are still so high they make serious shooting cost prohibitive. But I may be holding my breath on that one.

Heavy Metal
06-06-11, 22:44
He may squeak by but we are extremely likely to take the Senate no matter what. In spite of the Dems controlling the Senate, this is the most pro-gun Congress since before the NFA was passed in the mid-30's. Most A-rated Senators and House members ever. 50 A-Rated Senators, an all time high.

And the whole Exectuive Order torturing of the Sporting Purposes clause of the 68 GCA is getting about to the end of it's rope.

Takes 60 votes in the Senate to pass a ban. The House is overwhelmingly pro-gun. The Dems are defending so many seats in the Senate that mathematically, loss of control is virtually guarenteed even if Obama manages to squeak out a victory. The Dems are defending even more seats in 14 than in 12 and the party in the White House tends to get shellacked in a good year during the 6th year of an administration. A Republican fillibuster proof super-majority is not beyond the realm of possibility in 14.

Except for the economy and possible Supreme Court replacements, an Obama victory could be the best thing ever for Gun Owners. We could end up with enough of an overwhelming majoity to just about eradicate all undesirable gun control laws after 2016.

As far as Gun Rights go, this is truly a golden age for us. We are ascendant in a way that could not have been dreamnt of a mere ten years ago. And there is still a lot of potential upside left!

So a new ban? Simply put: Not.going.to.happen. The odds aren't uphill, they are up a cliff. The most he can do is screw with the imprtability of things like some shotguns.

People panic buying? Well, people can panic for any reason they like and it doesn't have to be a rational one.

Will it be as bad as the last time? No way.

1) People have much less discretionary income now.

2) Obama is already POTUS. He wont have Pelosi and Reed at his back next time.....if there is a next time......and if Unemloyment and the Econony(which is looking more and more like it is about to enter the second dip of a double-dip recession) dont improve, there wont be a next time.

(If we go back into a full-blown recession, the Democrats will be massacred at the polls across the board in an historic fashion.)

SteyrAUG
06-06-11, 23:04
As far as Gun Rights go, this is truly a golden age for us. We are ascendant in a way that could not have been dreamnt of a mere ten years ago. And there is still a lot of potential upside left!

So a new ban? Simply put: Not.going.to.happen. The odds aren't uphill, they are up a cliff. The most he can do is screw with the imprtability of things like some shotguns.

Never say never. The 80s was a golden age and we still got the import ban of 89 by executive decree. It is when we say "can't happen" that we usually get caught with our pants down wonder exactly what just happened.

That said, you are correct that it is still "good times." I'm honestly amazed that some dipshit hasn't seriously attempted the renewal of the Clinton Assault Weapon Ban since it was successfully amended to Larry Craigs industry protection bill by a Republican controlled Congress in 2004. I thought at most we'd see a 2 year window yet here we are almost 7 years later. And the gun control folks might at this point figure the cow is out of the barn.

Much as I hate to admit it, the NRA getting into bed with guys like Reid might be the reason. It's about as savory as an alliance with Stalin but I guess that worked too.

Iraqgunz
06-06-11, 23:23
Do not under-estimate the power hungry scum also known as our elected officials. We have seen them sell us out before and they will do so again.

I also don't think that President Obama is down and out. He managed to be in when we "killed Bin Laden" and when he campaigns he will tout that as well as the successful drawdown in Iraq, the upcoming drawdown in A'stan and the fact the he single handedly saved us from a "financial disaster".

Too many idiots will believe it and the Republicrats are going to **** the pooch by nominating some idiot that is so far right he/she won't have a snowballs chance in hell.

Abraxas
06-06-11, 23:34
the Republicrats are going to **** the pooch by nominating some idiot that is so far right he/she won't have a snowballs chance in hell.

They might have better luck with that. I mean last time they gave us McCain who was too far to the left for many.

Heavy Metal
06-06-11, 23:40
Never say never. The 80s was a golden age and we still got the import ban of 89 by executive decree. It is when we say "can't happen" that we usually get caught with our pants down wonder exactly what just happened.

But we don't have our paints down, we are on the offensive. Some where, we are at least winning some small victory every week.

Hell, the antis have been reduced to the point they couldn't pass a magazine ban in uber-blue Conneticut! To quote a movie we all know:"We stopped em' butt-cold!"

We weren't even fighting back during the 80's, we didn't know how. We learned, we got tough, got organized and now we are on the march. Shit, this websites active memebership alone likey dwarfs the number of truly active anti-gunners in the whole CONUS.

I thought at most we'd see a 2 year window yet here we are almost 7 years later. And the gun control folks might at this point figure the cow is out of the barn.

Exactly! The best selling rifle in America is the AR-15 right now. Before the 94 ban, it was a rarity, today it is a commodity. It is , in the parlance of the 'Heller' decision, "In common useage."

The Horse is well out of the barn getting further from the glue factory every day.

We are winning and it is time we started acting like it.

SteyrAUG
06-07-11, 15:17
But we don't have our paints down, we are on the offensive. Some where, we are at least winning some small victory every week.

We are winning and it is time we started acting like it.

All I'm saying is don't start celebrating the end of the war until the enemy understands he has lost. I can't count the number of times the gun community has thought they "had em on the ropes" and started dancing around instead of finishing the fight.

Hell in the early 80s there was actually speculation that Reagan might disband the ATF.

You are correct that things are much different now from what they were, all I'm saying we aren't completely out of the woods yet.

Doc Safari
06-07-11, 16:22
Obama told Sarah Brady he was going to do some gun control things under the radar. The Republican party has yet to come up with a candidate that has Obama's charisma. Doubt me? Why is the president still at about 50% approval even with the economy on the verge of the next Great Depression? We may be actually looking at him another four years.

Don't count Obama out.

So to answer the OP's question, I'm guessing the next panic will begin in earnest about late winter or spring 2012.

Buy now.

Heavy Metal
06-07-11, 17:10
AP poll out today has Romney beating him by three points.

If milktoast is ahead of him, a Rick Perry would destroy him.

Irish
06-07-11, 18:17
We did just get hit by Reid and the rest, including the NRA's complicity, when they let Rand Paul's opposition to the Patriot Act extension regarding gun snooping laws go by without support.

Here's an interesting article (http://blogs.forbes.com/larrybell/2011/06/07/u-n-agreement-should-have-all-gun-owners-up-in-arms/) that was just put out about the UN and future gun control issues that may arise.

scottryan
06-07-11, 19:12
No gun control is going away and I bet Obama will be elected again.

Thinking any import ban stuff is going away is just a fantasy. The important ban has gotten more and more restrictive ever since is was enacted.

Moose-Knuckle
06-07-11, 19:15
For anyone who read Grant's thread . . .you know that the frenzy has already began in the first stages. Dealers, manufactures, etc have had similar announcements on their sites in reference to price increases and on hand stock availability. BCM comes to mind.

Anyone try buying a top tier BCG in the past couple months?

usmcvet
06-07-11, 20:09
For anyone who read Grant's thread . . .you know that the frenzy has already began in the first stages. Dealers, manufactures, etc have had similar announcements on their sites in reference to price increases and on hand stock availability. BCM comes to mind.

Anyone try buying a top tier BCG in the past couple months?

Yeah I bought an LMT BCG and it feels good knowing I have a good quality spare.

Magazines have been my focus lately. They're so freaking affordable. I need to buy another dozen.

a1fabweld
06-07-11, 22:59
I remember about 6-8 months before the last elections, when obama's popularity was high & growing, the last frenzy started & moved rapidly. I remember talking to my customers which range from flamming lib's to hard core rightys, about what their thoughts were regarding obama being elected & upcoming gun restrictions. About half said "Buy all the guns you can now cause this is your last chance". The other half said "obama can't afford to ignore big issues like jobs, economy, & foreclosures to focus on guns because he'll be jeopardizing his second term. But watch out if he gets a second term". So, only about half of the people I spoke with before the last election were worried & gun sales were still at a record high.

I'm assuming the same people who freaked out last time are going to freak again + the sceptics as well this time around. Just my thoughts which mean nothing.