PDA

View Full Version : saiga 308 ak platform

hillbilly123
06-06-11, 23:11
Anybody own one? if so do u like it?

bigghoss
06-07-11, 12:09
I have one and I love it. mine is still in the import configuration but I'll be fixing that soon. the big issues I have with mine are that a lot of forends for saigas don't fit the .308 due to the larger barrel and also the ultimak railed gas tube won't fit either I'm told. also there is only one manufacturer that makes steel mags and they're $50 each. I read good things about them though. I bought some less expensive polymer mags just for range use but they don't appear to be metal reinforced so I don't trust them for hard use. don't forget about 922r! I've never had any malfunctions with mine and like all AK's it works great with cheap steel-cased ammo.

jimmyp
06-08-11, 17:32
what is the going rate for one of them? When RS regulate comes out with their TA33 mount it would be a cool rifle to put one on.

bigghoss
06-08-11, 19:25
I think they can still be had for close to $500. not sure, mines a couple years old.

tpd223
06-08-11, 20:19
I just traded for one, $600 was the asking price with three mags.

The_Biased_Observer
06-08-11, 20:28
I've got one that's apparently a vodka special. Bolt lug hits the fresh round in mag and causes malfunctions. Haven't gotten around to figuring the fix yet.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Eliakim
06-08-11, 20:49
I picked one up for cheap a few years ago. It is very crudely made and ugly but it shoots reliably.

I don't think I'd pay what they are going for now though if I didn't already have one. Out of the box it has so many sharp edges you can cut yourself on just about anything on the rifle, and it sure is loud with the short 16" barrel!

The 7.62 X 51 is a real thumper :laugh:

Iraq Ninja
06-08-11, 20:58
Mine came converted from Red Jacket. They also replaced the standard barrel and put a new Shaw barrel in it.

The only issue I have is with the aftermarket mags. Only the factory ones work well. I also put an new trigger in it and it made a big difference.

BSWilson
06-08-11, 23:40
There's someone making decent steel mags for them. They work fine, but they look like they were made it Pakistan from old computer chassis

The dealbreaker for me was that it was less accurate than most AK's. It did shoot nice though...

bigghoss
06-10-11, 00:17
There's someone making decent steel mags for them. They work fine, but they look like they were made it Pakistan from old computer chassis

The dealbreaker for me was that it was less accurate than most AK's. It did shoot nice though...

the steel mags are from cs specs. http://stores.csspecs.com/StoreFront.bok

it looks like they've been refined a bit. not as ugly as I recall.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/csspecs/IMG_2445.jpg

Raichle 9
06-11-11, 21:56
I had one for about two years. I could never get used to the trigger. It is odd.

I thought about doing a conversion to standard AK configuration, but I just couldn't justify the cost.

Sold it off.

I now have an M1a Standard Loaded.

yellowcarbon
06-17-11, 20:05
I have a couple of Saigas and love them. The accuracy is pretty good and it has been 100% reliable for me. I have only run the plastic Surefire mags, but really need to pick up some of those metal mags.

One of the Saigas started off as a 21.5" sporter configuration. I had the barrel cut to 18" and threaded for a flash hider & sound suppressor. It actually suppressed better than my M1A Scout. I have a Red Star Arms trigger on it, so it is pretty nice. I also have a Krebs scope rail which extends the irons to the back of the reciever.

The other is a Ver21, which is a factory converted gun with a wood thumb hole stock. I got it for the same money as a PSL and have been extremely pleased with it. Ammo isn't as cheap as 7.62x54R, but the Russian steel cased stuff in .308 is close. But there is a ton of options from Federal Gold Match to Hornady .308 TAP.