PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your HD weapon?

Travis B
06-07-11, 22:30
My Mossberg has a full tube but none in the chamber and the safety is engaged. You?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-07-11, 22:37
Loaded G19, chambered, on my nightstand. AR is in my bedroom cond. 3.

SteyrAUG
06-07-11, 22:45
My carry gun is on top of my safe loaded chamber.

My MP5 is full magazine, empty chamber. It is a pain in the ass to load/unload it as I take it in and out of the safe several times a day.

Travis B
06-07-11, 22:47
Loaded G19, chambered, on my nightstand. AR is in my bedroom cond. 3.

For those (myself included) who don't know the conditions, here they are: http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/1911_conditions.htm

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also known as "cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Condition 3 - The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-07-11, 22:53
For those (myself included) who don't know the conditions, here they are: http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/1911_conditions.htm

Sorry, we use it alot in the military. Condition 2, of course, does not apply to the AR15 platform.

Travis B
06-07-11, 22:57
Sorry, we use it alot in the military. Condition 2, of course, does not apply to the AR15 platform.

No worries, I'm sure I'll learn them next year :dance3:. I saw that a couple of them didn't really apply to the AR but in general, they're the same, correct?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-07-11, 23:03
No worries, I'm sure I'll learn them next year :dance3:. I saw that a couple of them didn't really apply to the AR but in general, they're the same, correct?

Slight deviations from weapon to weapon, but usually they refer to the same general thing.

M16
CONDITION 1. To place a weapon in condition 1, a round must be in position to be fired and the safety must be on.
- CONDITON 2. To place a weapon in condition 2, a round must be in position to be fired, the weapon’s action must be closed, and the hammer must be forward. (This condition only applies to weapons that have external hammers).
- CONDITION 3. To place a weapon in condition 3, ammunition is in position to be chambered, the chamber is empty, the action is closed, and the safety is on.
- CONDITION 4. To place a weapon in condition 4, all ammunition is removed, the chamber is empty, the action is closed, and the safety is on.

BCmJUnKie
06-07-11, 23:03
M&P .40 between the matress, G27 in holster mounted behind headboard. M4 between bedframe and nightstand. 12gauge pump behind bathroom door, fully loaded tube. none in chamber

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-07-11, 23:05
I also keep a cond. 3 G26 in my wife's nightstand...not sure if I trust her at 1 yet.

Iraqgunz
06-07-11, 23:27
OP,

FYI- This has been discussed here previously. If for any reason that spirals out of control it will be shut down in a heartbeat.

ChicagoTex
06-07-11, 23:46
Everything defensive is stored fully loaded/locked, including chambers. Single action hammer fired guns (including rifles and shotguns) are always stored safety on, all DAs and striker-fired are safety off (if they even have safeties).

The idea is minimum safe status for competent handling. Futzing with the action when you're freaked out is an invitation for malfunctions and forces you to give away your position/readiness state before you might actually want to.

ztf HITMAN
06-07-11, 23:55
M&P 40 cond. 0
BCM Mid cond. 3
Mossberg 500 PGO 12 gauge cond.1

Sent from my ZTF Com1 Device using Tapatalk.

Mac5.56
06-08-11, 02:56
M&P .40 between the matress, G27 in holster mounted behind headboard. M4 between bedframe and nightstand. 12gauge pump behind bathroom door, fully loaded tube. none in chamber

And I stumbled into your bedroom and guns just started falling from the sky...:rolleyes:

Mac5.56
06-08-11, 02:58
I go to bed at night content in the fact that I can defend myself and that my situation is well under control without a Barret .50 tucked snugly under my pillow.

Iraqgunz
06-08-11, 03:37
My G22 is always loaded unless I am doing some maintenance. It sits in its' Kramer holster on my hip or wherever I am located. At night it sits on the night stand next to the bed.

My shotgun is in the safe, tube is loaded and chamber is empty.

The SBR has a loaded magazine inserted, empty chamber and is on fire. If I need to do something I simply pull the charging handle to the rear and I am GTG.

Magic_Salad0892
06-08-11, 04:32
SBR - in between the nightstand and my bed. Round in chamber, safety on.
Glock - Round in chamber, next to bed, in holster.

Travis B
06-08-11, 06:21
Is it personal preference how to store a weapon? I know I won't chamber a round and take the safety off, but would it be OK to store it with the safety off so all I have to do is pump once and fire? My only concern is that I live in a college house with two roommates and while I trust them around firearms, I don't would hate for a drunk friend to get lost and end up in my room where there's a weapon one action away from going live. If ever there's drinking here I make sure people stay away from my side of the house. Should I just stop being a worry wart or is this a legitimate concern? I don't want to brief every visitor to our home about proper firearm safety, mostly because I see no need for them to know that there are firearms here.

Iraqgunz
06-08-11, 06:50
Your situation is totally different than mine, and probably many others. I would make sure all of my weapons are secure unless I had them under my control. That's just me.

Is it personal preference how to store a weapon? I know I won't chamber a round and take the safety off, but would it be OK to store it with the safety off so all I have to do is pump once and fire? My only concern is that I live in a college house with two roommates and while I trust them around firearms, I don't would hate for a drunk friend to get lost and end up in my room where there's a weapon one action away from going live. If ever there's drinking here I make sure people stay away from my side of the house. Should I just stop being a worry wart or is this a legitimate concern? I don't want to brief every visitor to our home about proper firearm safety, mostly because I see no need for them to know that there are firearms here.

Travis B
06-08-11, 06:55
Your situation is totally different than mine, and probably many others. I would make sure all of my weapons are secure unless I had them under my control. That's just me.

It definitely is a unique situation. While I have enjoyed college, it has made firearm use difficult, to say the least. All other weapons are fine, but my shotgun is a bit concerning. I would just load it every night and unload every morning, but a situation could arise where I needed it at 5 in the afternoon, and then it wouldn't be loaded for bed yet.

The_War_Wagon
06-08-11, 06:59
My Mossberg has a full tube but none in the chamber and the safety is engaged. You?

Ditto on MY Mossberg. My AR has a full mag - no round chambered.

1911 on my nightstand is in Condition 1 though.

Quiet-Matt
06-08-11, 07:06
SBR - Cond. 3 between nightstand and bed muzzle down.
Glock 23 - Round in chamber, in holster, in easly accessable secret hidey spot where it lives when I'm in the house.

kaiservontexas
06-08-11, 08:03
My 870 is loaded +1 on safe leaning up against the entrance to my room.

My G17 is docked and loaded +1 chilling in its new phantom RCS holster next to my daily carry bag.

I have no children or significant other so such safety concerns are not an issue at this time.

J-Dub
06-08-11, 08:13
dislcaimer: i dont have children

M&P 9, round chambered (Hydroshocks), underneath my side of the bed (arms reach)

In the closet: 870 w/ #4buckshot (on safe) and AR with mag inserted (round not chambered/on safe)

mtdawg169
06-08-11, 09:56
Delete. Dang cellphones.

mtdawg169
06-08-11, 10:06
I know this topic comes up often, but I have a question due to changing family circumstances. I have a 19 mo. old at home. I used to keep my M&P in the nightstand in cond. 1. Since our daughter has started walking and figured out how to open drawers, I recently moved it to a dresser a few feet from the bed with higher drawers, out of her reach. This is a very short term solution obviously.

Ultimately, I'm going to have compromise accessibility for safety in order to ensure that my wife stays happy and my baby stays safe. I know the long term solution is safety education. In the short term, I need a solution. All I can think to do is buy one of the keypad entry drawer safes. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

BCmJUnKie
06-08-11, 10:56
. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Like I stated in my post, I have always been a fan of mounted holsters. I keep a Blackhawk holster (no retention) mounted behind the headboard. No one can see it and its easy access.

Ironman8
06-08-11, 11:13
mtdawg,

Check out the "bedside backup" by Crossbreed...I don't have one but it has really had my attention for a while...I don't think it would be hard to make your own version of this either...which is what I might do...

t42beal13t,

I was in your same situation about a year ago. My solution was to not let my roommate even know I had a gun in the apt, and secondly to make sure my AR and pistol were both well hidden anytime we had ppl over...regardless of the condition you keep your firearms in, its usually a bad idea to leave them out when other people are over...

Cobra66
06-08-11, 11:14
My HD pistol (Beretta 92FS) is stored loaded, chambered, w/safety off in one of those quick access pistol safes along with light, pepper spray, and an extra magazine. The safe I have is a Gun Vault Mini Link (http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/mini-mini-deluxe.html). It has worked well and I can get into it in under 15 seconds. It has a light inside that comes on for a minute or so once you open the safe door. I do however always have at the back of my mind a fear that when the moment of truth comes, it will malfunction. They do make a version with a biometric reader. I have a personal home safe for files etc by Sentry that has a biometric reader and it really doesn't work all that well. I would certainly not trust it at 3am.

The safe is a compromise. I have a 6 mo old who will soon be entering the "get into everything phase" and my wife has a lot of friends with kids whom she invites over while I am gone. I grew up in Wyoming and for the most part nobody ever locked guns up, it was assumed that all kids were gun inoculated, but here in the Bay Area, it is safe to assume most kids have never seen a real gun outside of a cop's holster. As a result, I just can't take a chance. Heck, I'd easily bet more than half the women in my wife's "mothers group" would get freaked out if I told them they are in a house with guns.

I am getting around to cable locking my shotgun (or other long arm) to the bottom of our cedar chest to provide a second gun in the room but I haven't found a cable lock that would provide quick enough access.

The rest of the firearms are in safes located elsewhere in the house.

a1fabweld
06-08-11, 11:22
With a curious 4 & 6 year old in the house, all the hardware is in the safe. But, we have a 120 lb New Foundland standing guard in the house 24/7. One bark from her would make most bad guys think before they entered.

ssracer
06-08-11, 11:57
HK USP .40c with light mounted in condition 2 in a mini gunvault

Mac5.56
06-08-11, 11:59

You have got to be kidding me!!! As IG said your weapons should be under YOUR control at all times. Primary word there is YOUR. Since it doesn't seem that the answer to this question is a yes on your part, you should really re-think how you store your weapons.

How much of a worry wart would you be when your calling 911 cause your drunk friend blew a hole in the chest of his girlfriend?

Moose-Knuckle
06-08-11, 16:51
G17 full 17 round magazine and one in the chamber ready to rock-n-roll. No kids and locked in safe when not at home.

Spiffums
06-08-11, 17:28
My carry gun is on top of my safe loaded chamber.

My MP5 is full magazine, empty chamber. It is a pain in the ass to load/unload it as I take it in and out of the safe several times a day.

Ahhh to have problems like this.

Loaded Mag and empty chamber on all but my carry gun. This way Mom or Sis can grab any gun I have and have it ready with just a working of the action.

SteyrAUG
06-08-11, 17:57
I know this topic comes up often, but I have a question due to changing family circumstances. I have a 19 mo. old at home. I used to keep my M&P in the nightstand in cond. 1. Since our daughter has started walking and figured out how to open drawers, I recently moved it to a dresser a few feet from the bed with higher drawers, out of her reach. This is a very short term solution obviously.

Ultimately, I'm going to have compromise accessibility for safety in order to ensure that my wife stays happy and my baby stays safe. I know the long term solution is safety education. In the short term, I need a solution. All I can think to do is buy one of the keypad entry drawer safes. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

In the short term you can probably get away with a top shelf in the closet. I have a gun safe next to the bed and my holstered carry gun goes on top of it at night.

But ultimately you are going to have to secure things as 10 year olds can get into almost anything and no "top shelf" is out of reach.

Ahhh to have problems like this.

Loaded Mag and empty chamber on all but my carry gun. This way Mom or Sis can grab any gun I have and have it ready with just a working of the action.

Yeah, I know, it's like a rich guy complaining about how hard it is to count all his money. But I was mostly referring to when I used to keep it Condition 0 or 1 and twice a day having to chamber and then later unchamber a round.

Now I just keep it Condition 3 and take it in and out of the safe as I come home or leave the house. Made life much easier.

The Cat
06-08-11, 18:34
At night,

M4 between my bed and nightstand, Condition 1
1911 on nightstand, Condition 3

Mrs Cat has her SiG on her nightstand, Condition 3

During the day my M4's always in the same room with me, and in my workshop I have an AK with a 100 rd drum full of softpoints hidden.

The orange Battlecat in my avatar is our first line of defense, though. He'll bite the piss out of you.

RD62
06-08-11, 20:28
I have small children.

My Glock stays fully loaded with a round in the chamber other than when it's being cleaned or at an IDPA match.

At night after making the "rounds" (feeding the dogs out back, taking the trash down, locking doors, etc) and the kids are in bed the Glock goes on the night stand and the SBR is moved to an easily accessible location with a 20rnd PMAG seated on a closed and empty chamber, safety on.

All other guns are secured with cable or trigger locks and stored in a locked chest. Ammo stored seperately in a locked box (other than spare mags for the Glock and SBR).