PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on AR15 purchase

Apocalypse-Now
06-08-11, 02:53
looking for one around $1,200 tops.

i don't want to build one, just want to purchase one.

these are the brands i'm thinking of:

rock river
stag arms
daniel defense
les baer

i just want if for target plinking and defense, not going to shoot matches with it.

features i want:

direct gas impingement
chrome barrel
properly staked gas key
m4 feed ramps
quad rail or magpul rail
adj buttstock
decent sites
great customer service that pays for shipping

thanks for any input :D

fdxpilot
06-08-11, 02:58
I would go for Daniels Defence. That's what my current 5.56 AR is. Also, check out Bravo Company (BCM.) I don't think you'll find much love for the other 3 brands around this forum.

Cameron
06-08-11, 02:59
This site is basically devoted to exploring the best AR brands, so looking around you will find a plethora of info about great brands. That said I would suggest you look at Daniel Defense or Bravo Company.

Cameron

RogerinTPA
06-08-11, 03:00
Try doing a little research by using the yellow search button.

Out of your choices, Daniel Defense.

All the others are way subpar.

Apocalypse-Now
06-08-11, 03:04
i looked at a quad rail DD today (the short rail), and i noticed it had space between the upper and lower receivers, whereas the rock rivers don't. is there a reason for that? another avenue of gas escape perhaps? thnx

thopkins22
06-08-11, 03:24
i looked at a quad rail DD today (the short rail), and i noticed it had space between the upper and lower receivers, whereas the rock rivers don't. is there a reason for that? another avenue of gas escape perhaps? thnx

It's just a manufacturing variance, and one that is almost entirely irrelevant on the list of things that create a quality rifle. There are stickies in the General Discussion and Technical forums that can help you understand what other features are important to you and why they are important.

As others have said, Daniel Defense makes a great rifle. With your list of desired features, it's the only one that really satisfies them...although in more depth than the language you used really requires.

They are all DI.

They can all be had with a chrome lined barrel, but the one you get from Daniel Defense will be of a higher quality than those from the other manufacturers listed. It will be hammer forged from high grade steel, have a proper chamber and twist, and can be had in various profiles.

While I've seen the occasional picture of other ones staked properly, I think we've all seen more where they weren't. I've never seen a picture of an improperly staked DD gas key, and know that mine is staked properly. The bolt carrier will be of the authentic design and the bolt will be made of the proper steel, proofed, and thoroughly tested. The others, not so much. They may well function fine, but the bolts from companies like DD have a better chance of working fine for longer.

They can all be had with M4 feedramps, for a while Rock River was cutting them after they had been anodized, exposing the softer metal underneath. I've read on the internet that they have fixed this.

As to the rest of it, they are all available with quad rails and adjustable buttstocks, though Daniel Defense became a player based on the high quality of it's rails. They also produce(and put on their rifles,) one of the best fixed sights on the market.

Iraqgunz
06-08-11, 03:33
First off you need to fix your priorites. It should be a DEFENSE weapon first and then a plinker, otherwise you can get a Ruger 10/22.

Do not limit yourself to xxx brands. In addtion to Daniel Defense you should also be looking at a Colt 6920 or similar, Noveske and even a complete BCM. Also do not discount LMT.

Before you buy anything you need to sit down, think about what you want and why you want it. Educate yourself as to the specs and differences. Do not rush out and buy some crap from the local junk peddler aka your nearest dealer.

Stay away from garbage AR's.

1. Bushmaster
2. Oly Arms
3. DPMS
4. Stag Arms
5. Other Unknowns
6. Les Baer- overpriced and not worth it.

Apocalypse-Now
06-08-11, 03:41
6. Les Baer- overpriced and not worth it.

cdnn has a quad rail carbine les baer for $1,100 right now. seems to be a pretty good price.

Iraqgunz
06-08-11, 03:46
We can lead you to water, only you can drink. If you think that Les Baer is good to go then by all means purchase it. I highly encourage you to do your homework. Do not ask someone at the gun store as they will sell you what they want to.

I suspect that you will rush out and get something other than what will be mentioned here. Again, unless you have a pressing need that you need it right now, I suggest that you READ AND LOOK at the stickies and other info posted here before you do anything.

it's been the case on the two DD rifles i've looked at. they were very consistent in every aspect, it seems more likely to be part of their design. i just don't know the point behind it.

cdnn has a quad rail carbine les baer for $1,100 right now. seems to be a pretty good price.

Apocalypse-Now
06-08-11, 03:51
We can lead you to water, only you can drink. If you think that Les Baer is good to go then by all means purchase it. I highly encourage you to do your homework. Do not ask someone at the gun store as they will sell you what they want to.

I suspect that you will rush out and get something other than what will be mentioned here. Again, unless you have a pressing need that you need it right now, I suggest that you READ AND LOOK at the stickies and other info posted here before you do anything.

i'm in no rush, and have bought quite a few guns before. i'm well aware of the countertop commandos at the gunstore.

i have two questions: do you always sound so condescending? & do you recommend any brands that aren't site sponsors?

Apocalypse-Now
06-08-11, 04:35
It's just a manufacturing variance, and one that is almost entirely irrelevant on the list of things that create a quality rifle. There are stickies in the General Discussion and Technical forums that can help you understand what other features are important to you and why they are important.

As others have said, Daniel Defense makes a great rifle. With your list of desired features, it's the only one that really satisfies them...although in more depth than the language you used really requires.

They are all DI.

They can all be had with a chrome lined barrel, but the one you get from Daniel Defense will be of a higher quality than those from the other manufacturers listed. It will be hammer forged from high grade steel, have a proper chamber and twist, and can be had in various profiles.

While I've seen the occasional picture of other ones staked properly, I think we've all seen more where they weren't. I've never seen a picture of an improperly staked DD gas key, and know that mine is staked properly. The bolt carrier will be of the authentic design and the bolt will be made of the proper steel, proofed, and thoroughly tested. The others, not so much. They may well function fine, but the bolts from companies like DD have a better chance of working fine for longer.

They can all be had with M4 feedramps, for a while Rock River was cutting them after they had been anodized, exposing the softer metal underneath. I've read on the internet that they have fixed this.

As to the rest of it, they are all available with quad rails and adjustable buttstocks, though Daniel Defense became a player based on the high quality of it's rails. They also produce(and put on their rifles,) one of the best fixed sights on the market.

good info. appreciate the input. i've been reading thread on the extractor "insert" to look out for, but couldn't find a pic on it. i have field stripped an AR before and don't recall what that would look like. do you know what that is? does DD have that? thanx

jklaughrey
06-08-11, 04:40
i'm in no rush, and have bought quite a few guns before. i'm well aware of the countertop commandos at the gunstore.

i have two questions: do you always sound so condescending? & do you recommend any brands that aren't site sponsors?

He gave you sound advice and you answer with this tripe? If you can't understand then you are having a serious issue of not hearing well. Let me help.

LISTEN, READ, SEARCH, THEN READ AGAIN!

Iraqgunz
06-08-11, 04:41
Colt isn't a site sponsor and I recommended them. I recommend site sponsors for the simple fact that they are QUALITY AR's. I don't get paid by them and I don't have stock options.

Yes, because I have seen a thousand of these threads and though we try to steer people in the right direction they end up buying something less and then come back looking for help.

Apocalypse-Now
06-08-11, 04:44
wow, now there's a mod-ass kisser. :eek:

jklaughrey
06-08-11, 04:49
wow, now there's a mod-ass kisser. :eek:

You are way out of your lane mister! Perhaps an airsoft forum is the speed you need.

Banned in under 2 hours...Is that a record?