PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your ammo?

rob_s
06-08-11, 06:16
I'm not looking for your secret pass code or anything, just some ideas.

I'm looking at something like this (http://www.sanduskycabinets.com/products.php?action=viewprod&prodid=156) but am a bit leery of the cost ($350 at Home Depot for the 36" wide model).

I'm thinking maybe I need to hit some used office-supply places or something?

I think I want something metal, lockable, and big enough to hold all of it in one place. I may even consider building a shell around it to add some fire resistance to it.

Rider79
06-08-11, 06:28
I use heavy duty Rubbermaid shelves in the garage. I have about 18,000 rounds on hand, 14,000 of which is 9mm or 5.56. I rent so I don't have the option of anything too crazy to store ammo.

The_War_Wagon
06-08-11, 06:38
30mm & 40mm ammo cans, stuffed in a closet (and along the wall) of my in-home office. With 50k of ammo (12K of 5.56 and 10k of .308 alone), it's a LOTTA cans! I'm like you Rob - need to build a bunker/shell or something for it, but my in-home office doubles as gunroom/mancave; my wife's just happy it's not scattered over the REST of the house... anymore... :o

JeepDriver
06-08-11, 08:06
In 30 & 50 cal cans. I have to change things around though. I need to isolate & secure the gun stuff better.

My son is getting to mobile, I'm going to be building a dividing wall and installing a steel door to the gun section of the utility room. I had thought about using fire resistant dry wall to line the room with.

30 cal slut
06-08-11, 08:08
orange home depot job box.

-a few hundred bucks.

-ugly, the wife will kill you if you park it in the living room

+not quite a safe, but lockable (usually two padlocks on each side)

+loaded down with ammo, nobody is going to be able to move it unless you are The Hulk or have a forklift.

+also good for storing valuables like mags etc.

+won't tip over like a storage cabinet.

+come in various sizes.

bulbvivid
06-08-11, 08:11
Though I don't use them for ammo storage, I did pick up a few horizontal filing cabinets, like those used in medical offices, to use in the garage. They are made to hold a lot of weight—I have them stuffed with tools and all kinds of crap—and on the ones I have, the front of the drawer lifts up and slides back, so you can use it like a cabinet with shelves that slide out. Most have keyed locks on them.

I got mine at an auction for a business that closed. I looked at used office furniture places, but they wanted too much for them. You may check for auctions in your area to see if any will be for sale. I also got a couple of upright cabinets similar to the one you show from Home Depot, but the ones I got do not have locks.

markm
06-08-11, 08:13
Really? This is 1990s ARFcom subject matter... for when we got tired of talking about how a 1/7 twist barrel would wear out faster than a 1/9.

sl4mdaddy
06-08-11, 08:50
Really? This is 1990s ARFcom subject matter... for when we got tired of talking about how a 1/7 twist barrel would wear out faster than a 1/9.

...and it's not Thursday so no discussions about M4 feed ramps.

:jester:

(sorry, couldn't resist)

And to stay inline with the original question..... 50 cal ammo cans in the closet.

kdcgrohl
06-08-11, 09:36
Back on topic...

Just finishing up construction of a 6' tall 26.5" wide angle iron constructed shelving system to hold 16 50 cal cans & 8 40mm cans with a 1' opening at the bottom.

Roughly 97' of angle iron invested so far.

Still needs painting & bolting to the wall/floor next to the safe, and finish up the door/locking system.

jhs1969
06-08-11, 09:40
First the ammo goes into 30, 50 and SAW cans, then is stacked into a steel gun cabinet. The cabinet is a "Stackon" brand I believe, they can be found at most sports stores in various sizes with prices begining at a little over $100. It is lockable.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=402868&pdesc=Stack_On_8_Gun_Steel_Security_Cabinet&aID=510L1&merchID=4006

Here is a quick link that I found. Probably not the best route but has worked well for me.

usmcvet
06-08-11, 11:57
I'm not very organized with my ammo storage. I have an old desk with several drawers full. There is ammo stacked on top of my safe and a few cases next to the safe. I also have a dozen it so loaded magazines.

rob_s
06-08-11, 12:30
orange home depot job box.

-a few hundred bucks.

-ugly, the wife will kill you if you park it in the living room

+not quite a safe, but lockable (usually two padlocks on each side)

+loaded down with ammo, nobody is going to be able to move it unless you are The Hulk or have a forklift.

+also good for storing valuables like mags etc.

+won't tip over like a storage cabinet.

+come in various sizes.

Thinking about maybe doing one of these (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202222132/h_d2/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&keyword=rigid+chest&jspStoreDir=hdus&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&navFlow=3&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&ddkey=Search). As you mention, not cheap, and with a depth it may not be the easiest thing to get access inside of, but it may be misleading enough for my purposes.

ultimately I may come down to price:volume of storage.

Also hunting around the used market.

mtdawg169
06-08-11, 12:51
Holy crap, 20K rounds? 50K?

I keep mine stuffed into a dozen or so 50 cal. ammo cans and they all get stuffed into a utility closet. I've been thinking for a while that I need a better system. A job box or locking cabinet might be the ticket.

sl4mdaddy
06-08-11, 13:27
Thinking about maybe doing one of these (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202222132/h_d2/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&keyword=rigid+chest&jspStoreDir=hdus&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&navFlow=3&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&ddkey=Search). As you mention, not cheap, and with a depth it may not be the easiest thing to get access inside of, but it may be misleading enough for my purposes.

ultimately I may come down to price:volume of storage.

Also hunting around the used market.
144 lbs. empty, that's not as heavy as I would have guessed it to be. Seems like a pretty good option but I think I'd seal up the power cord pass thru for moisture/dirt/critter prevention. Or I guess you could use an electric dehumidifier and seal around the cord.

ChocLab
06-08-11, 13:44
These are heavy duty cabinets in a variety of sizes with a 900lb to 1800lb shelf capacity.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/c/storage/cabinets/heavy-duty

JeffWard
06-08-11, 13:45
Large purple Crown Royal bags store about 500 rounds of 5.56...

Oh you mean securely?

JW

rob_s
06-08-11, 13:50
These are heavy duty cabinets in a variety of sizes with a 900lb to 1800lb shelf capacity.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/c/storage/cabinets/heavy-duty

GREAT link, thank you.

Quiet-Matt
06-08-11, 13:53
First the ammo goes into 30, 50 and SAW cans, then is stacked into a steel gun cabinet. The cabinet is a "Stackon" brand I believe, they can be found at most sports stores in various sizes with prices begining at a little over $100. It is lockable.

Same here. Ammo cans in a StackOn gun cabinet.

Don Robison
06-08-11, 13:58
A couple of the Sentry Gun lock boxes without any of the gun racks installed. They lock and cost around $125 on sale.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_29471_-1?N=626381015

NWPilgrim
06-08-11, 14:15
I just use 50 cal ammo cans on a heavy duty shelving unit (7k rds mostly 5.56 and pistol), plus some more cases of ammo on other wooden shelves in my garage (3K rds mostly .30-06 and .308), and all my AK ammo in a big Coleman box on the floor (3K rds). About 8 cans per shelf.

Don't see the need for it being locked. Anyone that can get into my garage will have tools galore to break into anything less than a quality safe in a matter of seconds. I keep the garage closed and locked unless I am working in it or nearby.

If I needed it all locked away, I would just build a lockable storage closet with built in shelves in the garage made of 3/4 plywood with heavy wire fencing stapled to inside to strengthen and deter quick sawing through. Cost would be $150-$200 depending on size.

bubba04
06-08-11, 14:41
Currently all my ammo is stored in ammo cans in the house.

I am currently building a new home and was wanting to convert my closet into a walk in fireproof gun safe, however the wife told me hell no.

That being said the job box is a good idea and I will be looking for a better way to store ammo. Living in a hot and humid climate I would like to keep my ammo in a climate controlled environment.

Colt guy
06-08-11, 16:23
In the basement next to the gun safe is a Stack-On 14 steel gun cabinet bolted to the floor and wall. I built several wooden shelves and put my ammo on the different shelves. The bottom 1/3 is open for 50cal ammo cans can stack 6 down their.

If you take the ammo out of the box's you can get more in the ammo cans. The shelves are for the ammo I load for and 22 rim fire ammo. I keep it locked and it works very well.

m1a_scoutguy
06-08-11, 23:41
All my Surplus/Factory is in Ammo cans !! Most is in the original Box or wrapper,,poly,,etc ! It is in my Basement spread around my reloading bench and such,,I do have it fairly organized,,,06 in some cans,,,308 in others,,223,,then Shot Shells,,& last but not least 22 stuff !! I also have several Ammo cans with both 223 & 308 on stripper clips and in Bandoleers,,ready for SHTF stuff,,hopefully never need it !!! ;) I also have a Steel Cabinet that I got from work,,it has a Locking Door,,,it is where I keep all my Powder,,3 shelfs,,,bottom shelf hold 8 lb jugs,,other two hold assortment of 1 lb cans for both Pistol and rifle !!! The cabinet also has 3 drawers and it is where I put all my Reloaded ammo so its handy and ready to go !! I liked the Cabinet you mentioned Rob in the one link,,,nice,,lockable,,etc,,kinda pricey,,but could be worth it !! I never thought about it,,but I have a Lockable tool box like the one in the 2nd link,,left over from my construction days,,,it just sits in the garage with junk in it !!! Hmmmm,,mite just have to paint it up and bring it into the house !!! (When the Wife isn't around of coarse,,LOL ) That about covers it I think,,I have WAY more components than I do ammo,,( And I have alot of ammo,,;)) But I keep all my Brass in Plastic Pails with tite lids,,some are the square ones that look like the ones Kitty Litter come in,,I got them from work,,,(Free) and have ALOT that are full with 223/30-06/308 brass,,I have a good hook up for Once fired stuff,,,:D All my Loose bullets are also in Ammo cans !!!

usmcvet
06-09-11, 03:21
We have a place that sells state surplus property and I k ow online you can view federal surplus fir sale. You might find something high quality at fire sale prices. You may need to pad lock it but that could work too.

rob_s
06-09-11, 05:38
I was thinking that with the right jobox and the right wood paneling one could always construct a kind of a shroud around it to keep the women happy. Probably isn't going to wind up in the living room, but at least it might get you in the house vs. in the garage.

I have quite a few ammo cans but I also have a good bit of stuff still in the boxes. I'll definitely need to take an inventory before filling up the jobox and tape it inside the lid or something to know what's in there as some of it will get buried.

ffhounddog
06-09-11, 06:23
ammo cans behind a locked work room. I have a lock on the house, lock on the room, and guns in a safe. Need another safe for ammo but it would be huge.

m1a_scoutguy
06-09-11, 10:04
I was thinking that with the right jobox and the right wood paneling one could always construct a kind of a shroud around it to keep the women happy. Probably isn't going to wind up in the living room, but at least it might get you in the house vs. in the garage.

I have quite a few ammo cans but I also have a good bit of stuff still in the boxes. I'll definitely need to take an inventory before filling up the jobox and tape it inside the lid or something to know what's in there as some of it will get buried.

Rob,,,I always use a Sharpie & write the Date the Ammo/Powder/Primers come into my House ! It is a good ideal for a quick reference,,what is nice is I just write it on several spots on the carton,,box,,etc,,so I can see it at a quick glance !!! Hmmmmm & the Job Box is seemig like a better ideal all the time !!!! :D

rob_s
06-09-11, 10:10
I usually write on the box when I got it and how much I paid, and maybe where from, when I get a delivery of ammo.

My concern is that the jobox will require me to stack boxes/cans in such as way as to prevent me from seeing everything at a glance (which is why I originally wanted a vertical cabinet with a shallow depth so that I could see everything that was in there at a glance) so I will need an inventory list to tell me what's in the jobox.

Bimmer
06-09-11, 12:47
... horizontal filing cabinets, like those used in medical offices, to use in the garage.
They are made to hold a lot of weight—I have them stuffed with tools and all kinds of crap—and on the ones I have, the front of the drawer lifts up and slides back, so you can use it like a cabinet with shelves that slide out.

+1

These are just about perfect, and the place I work was literally giving them away.

They're just deep enough to hold full-size ammo cans, and mine are six feet tall. They even come with steel "file separators" for organizing!

Sorry, but to me a Jobox makes sense for the back of a pick-up, but in a garage it would up too much floor space and be too deep (what's in the bottom?).

bubba04
06-09-11, 12:59
You make a good point on the floor space.

+1

These are just about perfect, and the place I work was literally giving them away.

They're just deep enough to hold full-size ammo cans, and mine are six feet tall. They even come with steel "file separators" for organizing!

Sorry, but to me a Jobox makes sense for the back of a pick-up, but in a garage it would up too much floor space and be too deep (what's in the bottom?).

Bimmer
06-09-11, 13:13
You make a good point on the floor space.

Yeah, I have a four car garage and only two cars, but I still like to make the most of the space I have...

The floorspace issue is even more acute because most Joboxes have flip-top lids, so you couldn't store anything on top of them.

That's obviously not a big issue in the bed of a pick-up, where such things belong, but I can imagine it being a constant PITA every time you want to get at your ammo to remove all the stuff that accumulates on top of such a big horizontal surface...
It's not a Jobox, but my wife and I were given a big wooden chest with a flip-up lid, we've found it virtually unusable for this very reason.

Meanwhile, there's a pile of bulky stuff (tackle box, waders) sitting on top of my medical-office file-cabinet (it has a name, but I forget it), and that stuff just lives there.

Also... in my home office I have an old 3-drawer 40" wide Steelcase credenza designed to hold files, and it's also super-handy for storing gun stuff. It's lockable, and its countertop-height top surface makes a good work space (my photocopier lives there), and since my wife doesn't seem to realize that there's anything but old paperwork inside, I doubt that any burglar would, either...

If you're looking for something insulate/fireproof and cheap, I've heard of people storing ammo in old (unplugged) refrigerators...

m1a_scoutguy
06-09-11, 13:29
I usually write on the box when I got it and how much I paid, and maybe where from, when I get a delivery of ammo.

My concern is that the jobox will require me to stack boxes/cans in such as way as to prevent me from seeing everything at a glance (which is why I originally wanted a vertical cabinet with a shallow depth so that I could see everything that was in there at a glance) so I will need an inventory list to tell me what's in the jobox.

Yea,,good point Rob. Maybe make the Job Box your "Long Term" Storage Box,,your Stash Ammo,,Special stuff etc ! That's where the vertical storage will be a better choice for stuff your using on a regular basis,,new acquisition's & items like that ! Having both would probably be a good ideal anyways !!

rob_s
06-09-11, 17:31
Can any of you using filing cabinets post pics, or link to the product you're using? We use large filing cabinets at work but I'm unsure as to the structural integrity of the drawers.

SeriousStudent
06-09-11, 20:58
Rob, a friend uses something that might work for you, and be in your price range. He has an electrical cabinet from a job site, that he picked up relatively cheaply. With your day job, this might be something that you could track down.

It's a large steel box, over 6 feet in height, 3 feet wide, about 18 inches deep. It locks and has the shallow shelves you want.

With his permission, I'll shoot some pics and send you an email.

I'm getting ready to relocate myself, and in much the same situation regarding ammo storage.

Mark71
06-09-11, 22:06
How are you guys who live in an apartment storing your ammo?

thopkins22
06-09-11, 23:25
How are you guys who live in an apartment storing your ammo?

Ammo cans on top of the safe and in the back of the closet.

MaceWindu
06-10-11, 00:51
What I use. Works great, keep boxes and other things stacked around it. To the common person passing by, they have no idea what's in it. :D

http://www.lowes.com/pd_195894-76354-37211296_0__?storeId=10151&Ntt=site+safe&UserSearch=site+safe&productId=3019396&N=0&catalogId=10051&langId=-1

Mace

Bimmer
06-10-11, 03:48
Can any of you using filing cabinets post pics, or link to the product you're using? We use large filing cabinets at work but I'm unsure as to the structural integrity of the drawers.

What I'm using is called a "Shelf File Cabinet." They're relatively rare, but here's a link to a new one:

http://www.ifurn.com/chairs-hsc-626cl.html

The other item I mentioned is called a "Lateral File Cabinet." They're everywhere.

I wouldn't worry about structural integrity.

My "Shelf File Cabinet" is built like a brick shithouse, and I wouldn't hesitate to put 100-200 lbs on each shelf... not boxes of lead bullets, perhaps, but certainly stacks and stacks of loaded ammo.

Tightly packed files are surprisingly really really heavy, and hanging files (in a lateral file cabinet) typically distribute the weight of an entire drawer full of files over only a couple points without any problems. Laying boxes of ammo in the bottom shouldn't be of any concern.
Mine is actually designed so that you can't pull out more than one drawer at a time, so that you can't tip the thing over on yourself...

Six Feet Under
06-14-11, 08:07
I keep all of my ammo in 50 and 30-cal cans, except for my hunting ammo, that goes on the shelf in my safe since there is so little of it.

5.56- one .50 cal, one .30 cal, both full
9mm - one .50 cal (not full yet need another 500rd Ranger FMJ)
12 gauge - one .50 cal can, 75% full
.22LR - one .30 cal can, loose, full to brim

All have desiccant packs in them. Meager collection but my problem is every time I buy ammo I shoot it all so it's amazing I have held on to what I've got this long. :p

Stored along the wall in my closet, next to the safe.

mark5pt56
06-18-11, 06:38
If you just need to lock it up and in the garage, try to find those folding metal cruise lockers that may still be in the inventory. Ask around with some Navy vets and they may have one they don't want. You can add a double layer plywood base and the appropriate load rated swivel casters so you can move it about if need be.

That Rigid box is nice and you could add wheels also. Most of those "office" metal cabinets will not hold the weight before bending in the center.

Inside, you could always encase the stainless steel wire shelves with wood to make it look nice if you need to store inside and not have it look like an eyesore.

rob_s
06-18-11, 06:44
I mostly need/want it to not look like it's storing ammo, and secure it from anyone without tools.

30 cal slut
06-20-11, 07:14
If you just need to lock it up and in the garage, try to find those folding metal cruise lockers that may still be in the inventory. Ask around with some Navy vets and they may have one they don't want. You can add a double layer plywood base and the appropriate load rated swivel casters so you can move it about if need be.

That Rigid box is nice and you could add wheels also. Most of those "office" metal cabinets will not hold the weight before bending in the center.

Inside, you could always encase the stainless steel wire shelves with wood to make it look nice if you need to store inside and not have it look like an eyesore.

That's a great idea, thanks.

philcam
06-20-11, 07:56
I got lucky. While on temporary assignment to Nogales, AZ I was driving by an Army Navy surplus store and saw a large yellow fire cabinet out front. I passed by this place several times a day, thinking it would be too expensive. Finally my curiosity got the best of me and I stopped. The guy wanted $100!

The shelves are very sturdy. It locks, but could easily be broke into. I have about 10k rounds in mine of 9mm .40, 5.56 etc. It looks like this:

http://m.grainger.com/search/ProductSearch_item?item=3W209

Bimmer
06-20-11, 14:50
Most of those "office" metal cabinets will not hold the weight before bending in the center.

Au contraire.

I'd hazard to guess that closely packed files weigh as much as factory boxed ammuntion.

If you're talking about the cheap "Made in China" file cabinets, then you can bend them with your fingers, but something like a Steelcase cabinet is NOT going to bend...

Ironbutt
06-20-11, 23:19
The job box is a good option. I got one at Lowes a couple years ago & with my ammo/reloading supplies in it, it'll take a forklift to move it.

turbo38gn
06-21-11, 05:35
Being in auto repair most of my working career, and an ex Snap-on Tool dealer.. I use one of these and love how I am able to organize my different calibers and have easy access to whatever I want to pack. Yet, still able to lock and secure somewhat easily.. Another benefit to the roll cart is I have a nice work bench on top of it...

caporider
07-05-11, 16:39
I have about 12,000 rounds grouped by caliber stored in a sports locker (it's full now, BTW):

http://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/armory/locker.jpg

Gatorbait
07-07-11, 11:40
Used office supply stores are good, but I think you may do better hitting the auctions. You never know what you will come accross at an auction, $$ seem to go further, and the quality of the stuff made 20 or 30 years ago is much better than the china mart stuff of today,IMHRO. What I have picked up and use today for less than $50:

Old filing cabinet, probably older than me...
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/clastac/storage015.jpg?t=1310053658
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/clastac/storage018.jpg?t=1310053632
Keeps gear from getting away....
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/clastac/storage019.jpg?t=1310053576
3k of .223 in grab-n-go set-ups. No problems with the rails of the cabinet holding up, the old stuff was built well.

Old (I think) map or survey storage cabinet....
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/clastac/storage012.jpg?t=1310053754
Old, heavy, a little rusty....
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/clastac/storage013.jpg?t=1310053710
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/clastac/storage014.jpg?t=1310053685
Works well with the smaller stuff.

If I were to organize and store gear and stuff in something like a closet, I would reccomend well built, deep filing cabinets. However, YMMV.

gb

gb

Moose-Knuckle
07-08-11, 00:02
I simply store all ammo in surplus .50 cal cans in closets stacked on one another and labled with a print out on the front of the can with it's caliber contents.

Logicalpath
07-08-11, 00:11
I use Uline for all my company supplies and it looks like they have much better prices for the same quality some of you have already posted. This company has a ton of stuff but at first glance this is what I found:

http://www.uline.com/Grp_269/Cabinets-Lockers

Rob if they won't let you open an account(I'm not sure if they sell to individuals), let me know and I can place the order for you through my CO.

Logicalpath
07-08-11, 00:14
Used office supply stores are good, but I think you may do better hitting the auctions. You never know what you will come accross at an auction, $$ seem to go further, and the quality of the stuff made 20 or 30 years ago is much better than the china mart stuff of today,IMHRO. What I have picked up and use today for less than $50:

Old filing cabinet, probably older than me...
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/clastac/storage015.jpg?t=1310053658
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/clastac/storage018.jpg?t=1310053632
Keeps gear from getting away....
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/clastac/storage019.jpg?t=1310053576
3k of .223 in grab-n-go set-ups. No problems with the rails of the cabinet holding up, the old stuff was built well.

Old (I think) map or survey storage cabinet....
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/clastac/storage012.jpg?t=1310053754
Old, heavy, a little rusty....
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/clastac/storage013.jpg?t=1310053710
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/clastac/storage014.jpg?t=1310053685
Works well with the smaller stuff.

If I were to organize and store gear and stuff in something like a closet, I would reccomend well built, deep filing cabinets. However, YMMV.

gb

gb

I really like that grab-n-go setup you have!

Gatorbait
07-09-11, 23:47
Thanks.

After spending way too much time trying to work things other ways, I came back to the most efficient way(for me at least) to store the ammo was in old ammo boxes. I now only keep 2 kinds of 5.56, and the Tactical Tailor 30 cal. can covers keep things sorted and secure, ready to go, and much easier to carry. I have found that the cans with the covers draw much less attention sitting in the back of a vehicle vs. just the can itself. Both 30's and 50's fit great in the deep file cabinets, and I like not having a small mound of them just laying in the open.

I just bought 3 more file cabinets from a country auction tonight, and will be putting them into place tomorow. More bullets and beans to follow,,,,,,,

gb

deadlyfire
07-10-11, 01:02
I personally don't own that much ammo so a surplus ammo can plus a few random containers hold all my rounds.
If and when I do get more ammo, Caporider's setup is pretty sweet. =P

LennieT
07-10-11, 08:57
My stainless steel side-by-side refrigerator died, had to get a new one. Normally I would put the old refrigerator on the street and somebody would haul it away or the trash guys would pick it up eventually. Kept looking at it in the garage and realized that it has lights, adjustable shelves, door shelves, bins if you need those, and putting a padlock through the handles would secure it (the padlock won't make it a safe by any means, have even thought about a chain around it and a padlock, won't keep a determined robber out but it would sure slow them down). So cleaned the inside really good and moved it to the man cave. Looks fantastic, holds a ton of stuff, the lights come on when you open the doors, and the price was right.

Lennie

rob_s
07-10-11, 22:11
Got the filing cabinet loaded up. and that was just the cardboard for the most part. The ammo cans... well...

I think what I need to do is start trying to work some trades, or try to sell off some of this stuff to get the ammo I actually shoot.

randyman_ar
07-10-11, 22:29
Large purple Crown Royal bags store about 500 rounds of 5.56...

Oh you mean securely?

JW

Never used one for ammo. However in my younger days they did come in handy for storing...............;).

I'm just using ammo cans, but the job box looks interesting.

DemonRat
07-11-11, 01:28
ammo cans for now till i can save money for this

http://www.yankeesupply.com/catalog/productdetails.cfm/cID/102/pID/608/ageID/2/action/view.htm

Doc Safari
02-22-12, 16:17
I simply store all ammo in surplus .50 cal cans in closets stacked on one another and labled with a print out on the front of the can with it's caliber contents.

This is what I do, but I've learned to stick to 30 cal ammo cans. The 50's get heavy real fast. The 30's remain light and compact enough to just "grab and go".

I'm also still debating whether to keep the ammo in the original boxes or dump the ammo loose into the can.

Advantage of loose ammo: can fit more in a can, and eliminates any "acid in the box paper" issue.

Disadvantage: if you get rid of every firearm that shoots that caliber, it's easier to sell your left over ammo if it's still in the original boxes.

I've personally never seen rounds corrode from leaving them in the original boxes (as long as they were in a sealed military ammo can). But then again I live in a dry part of the country, so that may help. I also tend not to leave ammo stored more than a year or two before I shoot it. I try to rotate my inventory.

Other people I've talked to complain of having to throw badly corroded ammo out. Mostly these are old timers who have had ammo stored for literally decades, so ammo put away in the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, or 1980's may have been packaged with different, more acidic paper than a modern box of ammo. Then again, you can't control every variable like humidity, temperature, was it stored next to the water heater, and what have you.

For example, a lot of (most?) modern ammo boxes are "white" on the inside, indicating bleached paper. Older ammo boxes were left "brown" like the natural cardboard color. I don't know if this is a factor or just a meaningless observation. I just don't know.

Anybody have any input on how important an issue acid in the original box paper is?

Moose-Knuckle
02-22-12, 17:52
I'm also still debating whether to keep the ammo in the original boxes or dump the ammo loose into the can.

Advantage of loose ammo: can fit more in a can. . .

This may be true for the .30 cans. I tested this out with Russian commerical 7.62x39 in .50 cans. I found that I could fit more in the cans boxed than I could loose. Another advantage of keeping the ammo in the box is that if you were to experiance a KB or some other ammo related issue you have the manufactures date/lot code on the box.

. . . and eliminates any "acid in the box paper" issue.

I've personally never seen rounds corrode from leaving them in the original boxes (as long as they were in a sealed military ammo can). But then again I live in a dry part of the country, so that may help. I also tend not to leave ammo stored more than a year or two before I shoot it. I try to rotate my inventory.

Other people I've talked to complain of having to throw badly corroded ammo out. Mostly these are old timers who have had ammo stored for literally decades, so ammo put away in the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, or 1980's may have been packaged with different, more acidic paper than a modern box of ammo. Then again, you can't control every variable like humidity, temperature, was it stored next to the water heater, and what have you.

For example, a lot of (most?) modern ammo boxes are "white" on the inside, indicating bleached paper. Older ammo boxes were left "brown" like the natural cardboard color. I don't know if this is a factor or just a meaningless observation. I just don't know.

Anybody have any input on how important an issue acid in the original box paper is?

Not sure, the oldest ammo I have stowed away was canned in '99 and it's as pristine as the day I purchased it. I just went through all my cans this past weekend to confirm label contents and add new desiccant packets.

arbninftry
02-22-12, 21:11
Pelican Case with some O2 absorbers. Seals everything up tight. Holds alot as well.

Its like this, but does not have the wheels. Highly recommend one with wheels.

http://www.pelican-case.com/pelican-protector-case-with-wheels-1620nf-od-green-no-foam.html

Sticks
02-25-12, 05:29
Vacuumed packed in 250 round bags in a .30 cal ammo can, buried 3 feet down every 5 miles along my route to my 2 bug out locations.

JK

Lots of good ideas here. Not an issue for me since I only keep 1k pistol on hand and just started into 5.56.

A safe is my next big buy. Gotta find a place to put it.