PDA

View Full Version : I need a little advice on my Brand New DPMS LRT SASS

evenodds20
06-08-11, 11:55
well, my wife got tired of me talking about it so she finally went and bought be one without me knowing. She ordered it, had it transferred and brought it home. I have had it since january and have not sent one round through it yet! i was wondering what it would be worth right now if i were interested in selling it! thanks.

Timberwolf
06-08-11, 12:22
Checking GunBroker for what they are going for (or at what price they are not selling) is my best advice.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-08-11, 12:25
If my wife bought it for me I would just shut my mouth and shoot it before it gets you into trouble.

hikeeba
06-08-11, 12:26
You could try surfing Gun Broker to get an idea of what you rifle may be listed for and/or selling for. There are a lot of unknown factors to consider, like your location, selling locally vs. shipping out of state, how bad you want/need to move it, etc. I don't think there is a magic number anyone can spit out.

5pins
06-08-11, 12:28
I my wife bought me a DPMS I would have told her to take her shoes off and get in the kitchen.:jester:

Just joking, I’m sure her heart was in the right place. Just take 20% the new price and start there.

jsummers
06-08-11, 12:49
Why sell it if you were talking about it nonstop and your wife finally got it for you as a surprise?

evenodds20
06-08-11, 12:59
i no it sounds dumb, but at the time we were alot better off financially. I was laid off in october but we had a good bit of money to get by on and didnt see me going back to work. well, she got the rifle, we got some other stuff, and now we have 8 months til we have to be in destin at Eglin AFB. (her orders) we need to sell our house and tighten up a few other loose ends and i have too many high priced items just sitting in cases not being used. (high end music equipment, rifles, etc) I appreciate the advice about gun broker. i totally forgot about doing that. and i really dont wanna sell it so it would have to be a good deal, but its been in its case since the night we brought it home and she feels the same way that if im not shooting it, why should i have it! thanks guys

sjc3081
06-08-11, 13:02
Deleted

The Cat
06-08-11, 13:07
Deleted

ReaperAZ
06-08-11, 13:24
I learned my lesson, never get rid of guns, only get more or replace them with another. But if it came to selling I would do as others have said and see what they are selling for to give you an idea of value and go that route.

evenodds20
06-08-11, 13:57
again, i apologize for the question. i know its all circumstantial. i was just being lazy looking for some quick advice. ill do my research and see what its worth. just off the top, i see a retailer asking $2020 for it but they are out of stock. what i do have going for me is that i got a rock bottom price on it so i think my loss will be minimal if i decided to sell. I really dont want to get rid of it, i was more or less inquiring. it was a spur of the moment thing. my hobbies rotate about every 2-3 months. ill be into motorcycle riding, then golf, then weapons, music, etc. i have alot of interests and hobbies and firearms are on the back burner for now. not permanent but we are just focused on other things right now. ill probably regret it if i sold which means i probably will end up keeping it, but i just thought i would ask. thanks again guys.

edited to add: i see it going as low as $1710 before tax and transfer so maybe im looking at around $1600-1700 local.

ReaperAZ
06-08-11, 14:10
Nothing wrong with keeping it or selling it. In the end it is your choice and no one can change that but you. I have in the past had very similar circumstances and decided to sell the item, looking back I wish I never had.

JeffWard
06-08-11, 14:18
I'll pay ya $1200 for that piece of "garbage" DPMS... LOL

I'd love to give it a good home, and shoot the hell out of it. It'll match my other to "garbage" DPMS's.

JW

The Cat
06-08-11, 14:24
ill probably regret it if i sold which means i probably will end up keeping it.

I can just about guarantee you'd regret it someday. If I were you I'd keep it and have as much fun as possible with it. You get into dire straits economically, you won't be able to replace it. Plus, it's a gift from a woman who's obviously cornered the 'Cool' market, and that makes it priceless :)

JSantoro
06-08-11, 14:51
again, i apologize for the question.

No need. Don't let one sourpuss get to you; this is an uncommon sort of question, as resale value doesn't really get talked about unless one counts the Equipment Exchange as "discussion." Hope not! :p

To everybody else...stay classy, guys! For real, I was all "Aw, f**k!" when I clicked on this thread. Sometimes I'm happy to be wrong....

The Cat
06-08-11, 14:53
JSantoro: Aye ;)

bubba04
06-08-11, 15:01
I would keep it and shoot it. Though rare as hell, I enjoy when my wife gets a wild hair and gets me something gun related.

sjc3081
06-08-11, 15:02
My apologies extended.

evenodds20
06-08-11, 18:33
no worries man. I talked to my wife about it! even though she loves the thought of me selling a toy to bring in some quick cash, she too thought i would regret it. I am not a competitive shooter so the likelihood of spending that kind of cash on another rifle may not happen again for some time. she said i might as well keep it since i already got it and i think thats what im going to do! thanks for all the posts and advice! now i just need to properly break it in. I guess my next question would be, do you think it matters if i use the cheap Tul/wolf/ steel cased ammo or should i use a certain round for break in procedures? ill be doing my research on this as well!

jsummers
06-08-11, 20:15
i no it sounds dumb, but at the time we were alot better off financially. I was laid off in october but we had a good bit of money to get by on and didnt see me going back to work. well, she got the rifle, we got some other stuff, and now we have 8 months til we have to be in destin at Eglin AFB. (her orders) we need to sell our house and tighten up a few other loose ends and i have too many high priced items just sitting in cases not being used. (high end music equipment, rifles, etc) I appreciate the advice about gun broker. i totally forgot about doing that. and i really dont wanna sell it so it would have to be a good deal, but its been in its case since the night we brought it home and she feels the same way that if im not shooting it, why should i have it! thanks guys

That makes sense. I asked because no one has ever given me a firearm, so I know I'd be crazy excited to get something, especially if it was something I really wanted. I think it's awesome your wife got it for you.

davidz71
06-08-11, 22:28
no worries man. I talked to my wife about it! even though she loves the thought of me selling a toy to bring in some quick cash, she too thought i would regret it. I am not a competitive shooter so the likelihood of spending that kind of cash on another rifle may not happen again for some time. she said i might as well keep it since i already got it and i think thats what im going to do! thanks for all the posts and advice! now i just need to properly break it in. I guess my next question would be, do you think it matters if i use the cheap Tul/wolf/ steel cased ammo or should i use a certain round for break in procedures? ill be doing my research on this as well!

That's one classy woman and she is right that you might regret letting it go. It sounds like she wanted to make you happy so I would look at some other way to increase the finances.

GunnutAF
06-08-11, 23:54
Why in the heck would you sell a perfectly good rifle- especially a gift from your wife? You be stupid boy!:rolleyes:

evenodds20
06-09-11, 00:26
i know i know. its stupid. and probably ever dumber to ask a room full of gun enthusiasts right? i think im keeping it. but i was still interested in knowing exactly how depreciated it is and i think i have a decent idea.

so does anyone know if i can use any type ammo for by break in procedures or is it vital to use quality ammo? right now i have 2 boxes of monarch from academy sports which is the same as Tul Ammo or Wolf...all steel cases. if not, what ammo would one recommend for break in procedures? i think i need about 160 rounds to complete the break in process! thanks for the help guys.

GunnutAF
06-09-11, 19:54
Naw just get Military ball ammo and have at it! I don't shoot .308 so couldn't tell you where to get any! Take a look locally, if not search the ammo link hear for some places to buy I'm sure someone got some fairly cheap ammo!:D Here you go PMC 500 case 262 plus shipping!
http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/308_Ammunition.html

Ironnewt
06-09-11, 20:02
I try to only sell guns to finance "better" ones. Every time I sold a gun 'for the money' I ended up regretting it. I usually ended up buying a replacement later on at a higher price. Additionally, your wife bought it for you. That means a lot. If there is anyway you can swing keeping it, I would.

C-grunt
06-09-11, 23:13
I request pictures of said SASS.

scouts out
06-10-11, 01:40
I request pictures of said SASS.

+1...it ain't real without pics

Bimmer
06-10-11, 14:39
I think I'm keeping it, but i was still interested in knowing exactly how depreciated it is and i think i have a decent idea...

Here's a guaranteed way to find out exactly what it's worth, and it'll only cost you $3 or so...

Put it up for auction on GunBroker, with a low opening bid, and then see what happens.

Just set the reserve high enough that you won't be disappointed if it actually sells!

Smuckatelli
06-10-11, 15:09

Talk to these bubbas:

http://www.afas.org/

They may be able to spot you a few thousand until you get settled into your wifes next duty station. We used the Navy Marine Corp Relief Society a few times right before PCS to tighten up finances before the move.

I would keep the rifle....I have to 'buy' those types of presents for myself....:(

evenodds20
06-10-11, 18:53
I hate to say it guys, but the WIFE STRUCK AGAIN. while i was at my motorcycle safety course today, she went out and bought me a S&W M&P 15-22. i could not believe it when my 3 year old grabbed me by the hand and told me she had bought me a gun. it was supposed to be a fathers day gift but he couldnt contain himself. she was a little p/o'ed but only for a sec. I thought it was a better present having the surprise ruined but the kids rather than waiting for it. its these things we r gonna look back on and laugh about 10 years down the road. I promise ill post up some pics tonight to prove it. I can hardly believe it myself, and thanks for all the help guys!:thank_you2:

Smuckatelli
06-10-11, 19:22
I hate to say it guys, but the WIFE STRUCK AGAIN.

Will you two adopt a 48 year old boy? :D

evenodds20
06-10-11, 20:22
As promised, here is my collection of weapons thus far. I have a old S&W .38 revolver my mother used as an off duty carry weapon back in the day. It was passed to my grandfather, and in 2005 passed to me when he passed away. I keep it cleaned and ready, but its more a family jewel than anything. I guess i better go out for the Ft. Walton Beach PD when we get into town! 4 years of contract civilian le doesnt justify this much firepower. God bless my wife lol!
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/evenodds20/photo-11-1.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/evenodds20/photo-10-1.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/evenodds20/photo-8-1.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/evenodds20/photo-7.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/evenodds20/photo-5.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/evenodds20/photo-4.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/evenodds20/photo-3.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/evenodds20/photo-2.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/evenodds20/photo-1.jpg

Scorpion
06-11-11, 00:57
i know i know. its stupid. and probably ever dumber to ask a room full of gun enthusiasts right? i think im keeping it. but i was still interested in knowing exactly how depreciated it is and i think i have a decent idea.

so does anyone know if i can use any type ammo for by break in procedures or is it vital to use quality ammo? right now i have 2 boxes of monarch from academy sports which is the same as Tul Ammo or Wolf...all steel cases. if not, what ammo would one recommend for break in procedures? i think i need about 160 rounds to complete the break in process! thanks for the help guys.

Just take it out and shoot it. No need to break it in.

jbo723
06-11-11, 01:38
Nice looking collection and I'm diggin the descreet carry bag hanging on the chair :p..

You definitely have an awsome wife. I'm glad I'm in the same boat as well. My significant other knows that any present from her to me has to be gun related no matter what.

Kchen986
06-11-11, 11:14
If you can afford to keep it, keep it. I still regret selling some of the cool guns I had. Anyway, I'm no expert, but when I was looking at .308 AR10/SR25/DPMS/RRA pattern rifles about 2.5 months ago, I firmly remember valuing the DPMS SASS between ~$1,800-$2,100.

Hope this helps? Try to keep it though...they're supposed to be 3/4 MOA shooters. :).

evenodds20
06-11-11, 17:23
actually thats her discreet carry bag. Coach with a matching wallet and holster!! j/k. but anyways, yeah ill be keeping the 308. i was on here trying to get numbers for a possible for sale add, and she goes out and buys be another one. so i guess it would be stupid. ill just have to live with the $ we have and be smart. thats it.