PDA

View Full Version : Does this forum software have "rep" functionality?

rob_s
06-08-11, 13:13
I'm on at least two other forums where users can give + or - "rep" to a post. When I first encountered this I thought it was gayer than AIDS, but after seeing it in action it appears to actually work. On some forums it's a very convoluted process by which there are temp bans, permanent bans, etc. for getting too much negative and some kind of rewards for higher counts, but in either case the users overall "rep" is visible to others. This helps tremendously in sorting out people with 10k useless posts from those with 500 fantastic posts.

I am guessing it's embedded in the software here just not turned on?

The Cat
06-08-11, 13:21
I'm an admin on a forum that uses it, and it works really well for us.
It adds a bit of that which cannot be 'seen' on internet forums - the reaction of the other person.

We don't do anything administrative as far as negative rep goes. No need to - somebody with lots of neg rep is obviously a douchebag and people usually don't place much creedence in what they have to say. It's a self-regulating problem.

ryr8828
06-08-11, 16:02
I have 2 vbulletin forums and it's turned on in one and turned off in the other. It encourages mob action by cliques in a larger forum.

I'm sure that all the people here with one point of view would receive lots of good rep from each other while giving neg rep to those who disagree with them. It's a dog and pony show and not worth the time.

dewatters
06-08-11, 16:20
I've seen the negative side. What would happen here is that someone will get his nose out of joint because you said his Olympic Arms rifle was crap, and then stalk every post you've ever made, hammering each one with negative reputation points.

ALCOAR
06-08-11, 16:23
I've seen the negative side. What would happen here is that someone will get his nose out of joint because you said his Olympic Arms rifle was crap, and then stalk every post you've ever made, hammering each one with negative reputation points.

That's sounds perfect for the OP:(

HeavyDuty
06-08-11, 20:02
I've modded a forum that had it. Totally useless, it turns into a beauty contest.

Army Chief
06-08-11, 20:20
I am guessing it's embedded in the software here just not turned on?

That's correct. We've just not enabled it for reasons that have mostly been dealt with in the thread. Peer reviews don't necessarily function well in an environment where you have a relatively small number of industry professionals and SMEs, and an increasingly large membership base.

The solution chosen by site management long ago was to place emphasis upon careful vetting of those wearing "titles" on the site, and to promote a certain egalitarianism among the general membership. In general, that seems to have proven effective, notwithstanding the occasional growth pains that we all have to deal with from time to time.

AC

rob_s
06-08-11, 20:21
That's sounds perfect for the OP:(

Perhaps ironically, I think you'd probably get a lot of + points.

Army Chief
06-08-11, 20:44
I've never done this before, but I would really appreciate it if you two gentlemen would do whatever is necessary to find the common ground here: PM, e-mail, phone call, fruit baskets ... whatever it takes.

It's been a rough ride for a lot of us around here lately, and we all bring something different to the table, but you're both valued contributors in the eyes of many in membership, and it bothers me as a colleague and a friend when I have to intervene, edit or strip your posts because of the recent running and gunning.

There is strength in unity. Figure it out, make it work, and bury the hatchet. This is not a site edict, I'm not speaking on behalf of the staff, and I'm not judging a soul. I'm simply asking this as a personal favor because you're both stakeholders in this place, and you both play something of a leading role in your respective lanes.

Iron sharpening iron ...

AC