PDA

View Full Version : Please let me know what Vietnam era rifle to get my dad

firearmslawyer
06-08-11, 15:08
Howdy folks:

My dad recently indicated he was interested in getting an AR like the one he carried in the Army during some of his two tours back in '67-'68. I want to surprise him and find and buy the rifle (a non-NFA version) and have it shipped to an FFL near him in North Dakota to do the transfer. So.... I need the help of the experts.

Here is what I know and have been able to subtly find out from asking him about what he remembers. I asked about what flash hider his rifle had and he said it was able to cut wire if you needed and he thought that was neat so I am thinking he is referring to the three prong flash hider. I have poked around online and the SP-1 looks like these had the bird cage flash hider. I want to do it right but am not sure what to do. I found online references to a Colt 604 with the three prong flash hider but apparently that was for the Air Force, not the Army. So now I don't have a clue what to hunt for on Gunbroker.

I have pics of him with his M79 and M60 and M14 over there but not with his Black Rifle so I have not that much to go on. Looking to set it up with correct bayonet and sling, ammo pouches, etc. if possible so any guidance on that would be great. Thanks for helping me put this surprise together for him. He is a great guy who volunteers countless hours helping vets deal with the VA and I want to show him how appreciated he is with this surprise. Any help and guidance DEEPLY appreciated guys!

lethal dose
06-08-11, 15:25
Give the folks at NODAK SPUD a call. They sell decent replica stuff.

firearmslawyer
06-08-11, 15:37
Thanks and I may resort to that, but I am looking for a vintage Title I gun that is closest to the machinegun he carried. I will go repro if I have to, looking for the real thing at this point, what ever that is model wise, first.

Chris T.

Bruce in WV
06-08-11, 17:03
PM sent

mini4m3
06-10-11, 03:42
Sounds like your dad was using a 602 but could be a 601 or a 603 (XM16E1).

I've never heard of a 3-prong flash hider cutting wire but you never know.

Lots of information on variants over at http://retroblackrifle.com/. Give them a look.

mini4m3
06-10-11, 03:45
Oh also I'd like to note that the original Colt SP1s did have the 3-prong and honestly think that may be a good choice to get him.

Something like this I suppose. Pretty neat because as I believe you said this gun was made the same year his service rifle might have been (or at least when he used it).

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=234510779

Lincoln7
06-10-11, 06:09
I'm waiting on the arrival of an M16A1 kit from gunthings.com. It's a disassembled M16 from another country (so it has a new US made barrel, not necessarily the best thing) and includes all but the lower receiver and the disconnector (originally full auto). Might be a decent option for a mostly original version. I'll soon find out what the quality of the kit is. Most, if not all the original parts are supposed to be Colt MFG.

TOrrock
06-10-11, 07:13
I would hit the easy button and buy a Colt SP-1, and if he wants a three prong flash suppressor, you can certainly swap it out.

JOHNO
06-10-11, 08:06
You could in fact cut wire with the 3 prong supressor but this is also part of the reason behind the decision to discontinue its use as it sprang the prongs.

Ask your Dad if his rifle had forward assist.

If it had forward assist and a three prong FH you'll need to build the rifle but he could have been issued an earlier variant without forward assist and an early Colt AR 15 would be as close to original as you could get.

firearmslawyer
06-10-11, 10:33
Thanks Guys!!!!!!

That auction that mini4m3 posted is exactly what I am looking for! Now I just need to see if I can win the auction at a good price.

Thanks so much for your help folks!

Chris Thomas

JOHNO
06-10-11, 11:06
Do a gunbroker search for colt sp1, you have several good options.

mini4m3
06-10-11, 12:24
Thanks Guys!!!!!!

That auction that mini4m3 posted is exactly what I am looking for! Now I just need to see if I can win the auction at a good price.

Thanks so much for your help folks!

Chris Thomas

There are a lot of SP1's just like that out there. By no means take that as the end all be all. I just found that one real quick.

I do think SP1 is the route to go but do a little more research - at least on finding a deal on one because they are out there.

firearmslawyer
06-10-11, 12:25
Roger that. I have it covered like a fat lady on a toilet seat. If this auction does not happen, eventually another will. At least I have found the gun I am looking for. Thanks so much for all your help folks!

CT

Lincoln7
06-13-11, 07:39
Just to close the loop, I received the M16A1 kit from gunthings.com. All the included parts are in great condition and have Colt markings except for the barrel. It went together great and is shooting nicely. Judging from a few parts such as the bolt, cam pin, and charging handle, I'd be suprised if this was ever even used.

Glad to hear you found what you're looking for on Gbroker. Good luck!

v3n0m
07-05-11, 11:02
i agree with johno

scottryan
07-13-11, 15:24
I'd get him an SP1 or an SP1 carbine depending on what he wants.

The barrels that come with the M16A1 kits are the market are garbage.

jo-mach
05-28-12, 11:10
Sounds like your dad was using a 602 but could be a 601 or a 603 (XM16E1).

I've never heard of a 3-prong flash hider cutting wire but you never know.

Lots of information on variants over at http://retroblackrifle.com/. Give them a look.

From an old guy. the 3 prong was used by some to also cut the metal banding around supplies that came in but it didn't keep it;s original shape after a few times