PDA

View Full Version : Eagle III-A hydration options

MookNW
06-08-11, 16:22
Hey guys, I just scored an Eagle 3-day pack from the Natchez sale. After using it a little, I'm wondering what the best way to carry water on it is. My first thought was to get a pouch that would fit a Kleen Kanteen 40 oz, but the pouch options are slim. I checked with tactical tailor and they may be able to make one with a drawstring and molle attachments for under $40, but I think that would add more profile to the pack than I want.
Soooo, I think a bladder would be the way to go.
Who's using a bladder setup with this pack, and what means of attachment are you using? I'm looking for around 2.5L of storage with a nozzle.
I feel a bladder unit in the frame pocket of the backpack may move around more than one would want.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Serpico1985
06-09-11, 10:32
I have the same question. I have the frame insert for mine. I could attach a bladder to the frame sheet but the bladder then would not fit in the pocket because theres hardly any room left over from the frame sheet. Without the frame sheet I see nothing to attach the top of the bladder to. I imagine I will just put the bladder in the largest compartment and make sure theres nothing in there to puncture it.

Danny Boy
06-09-11, 11:19
I leave my 3 liter thermoback in it's carrier to keep it rigid and just stuff it in the frame sheet pocket. There's more than enough room but I never use frame sheets. If I'm doing something that requires me to be able to remove it from the pack the shoulder straps from the thermoback carrier get routed through the webbing loops on the top of the pack and through the cinch straps on the side so it sits on the front of the pack.

MookNW
06-09-11, 11:20
I may try to get my gal to sew a pouch for the hydro pack on the nylon that separates the frame area and the cargo area of the large compartment. It seems the best way to keep it from shifting on the move, and would keep the original dimensions designed for the frame thingy.
BTW Serpico, where did you find the frame for the pack, and how do you like it?

Serpico1985
06-09-11, 11:38
Got it from skd when they were in stock, and I like it, keeps the pack from crumpling up if I have it only half loaded.

LiveFreeOrDie2111
06-11-11, 08:41
Water will be one of the heaviest things you carry (unless you're toting around a few extra bandoleers of ammo too) best bet is center it in the elastic pouch directly next to your back, its gonna slosh around as you drink from the camelbak pouch which will shift the weight back and forth. The further away from you body it is, the more you will feel those back n forth effects and it will just add stress on the pack and the webbing. Dunno how far you're traveling with this, but trust me after a few miles you feel every mistake you made with your gear.

Slopes
06-11-11, 10:53
My A-III has no problem fitting the frame and my camelbak 3L, I just stick the hydration tube up through the top hole covered by the eagle logo, and the bladder has no issue staying flat .