PDA

View Full Version : Storm Lake SS barrel vs Glock 19 OEM bbl

andy t
06-08-11, 17:06
While doing a coating of my Glock 19, the company messed up the original barrel and as a replacement they coated a Storm Lake SS barrel without contacting me.
The president says that they think it's a superior product, however, I am not convinced and I think that for my purposes (self defense, trainig) a Glock OEM barrel is better suited. Especially since I shoot dirt cheap ammo (Wolf steel case) through my Glocks.
I wonder if anybody has experience with the Storm Lake barrel and whether it's any better than Glock OEM.

Thanks!

one
06-08-11, 20:41
If you had an OEM barrel I think they should have replaced it with an OEM barrel.

Marty916
06-08-11, 20:46
I installed a Storm Lake SS barrel on my Glock 21C in order to mitigate the flames in low light caused by the compensation slots in the stock barrel. I have over 2k rounds through it and have observed no issues with fit, feeding, accuracy or wear. Regardless, I do agree that the barrel should have been replaced with an identical factory component. Taken to the extreme, if they had broken your Aimpoint T1 and replaced it with a Swiss Arms RDS you might be somewhat displeased...

willowofwisp
06-08-11, 21:31
I'm surprised they didnt go oem....they are only 96$ new.

DOA
06-08-11, 21:42
I would had them replace it like for like. You had an OEM, you should get an OEM replacement. Now, having said that, Stormlake barrels, at least mine is outstanding. Mine is a 9mm conversion barrel. A bit tighter chamber but not so overly tight to cause issues. I shoot lots of Wolf thru it.

one
06-08-11, 22:43
I'm surprised they didnt go oem....they are only 96$ new.

Maybe a used one they had access to on short notice?

Lost River
06-09-11, 10:53
Without a doubt, I would only accept a factory Glock barrel as a replacement if it were mine.

militarymoron
06-09-11, 11:12
it doesn't matter whether the OEM or SL barrel is better; the issue is with the company not contacting you to let you know about the situation and asking whether the resolution they planned was acceptable to you.
i'd be very wary of doing future business with a company that does that.

andy t
06-09-11, 19:02
I contacted the company and asked them to replace the SL with Glock OEM although the president said it "will take time".

one
06-09-11, 19:16
Shouldn't take that much time. Glockmeister shows them in stock

http://www.glockmeister.com/G19-GLOCK-Factory-Barrel/productinfo/G3577/

Willowofwisp might know somewhere cheaper to get them from his post above. I didn't check with Lone Wolf or anyone else.

Out of curiosity how did they mess up or damage your barrel?

andy t
06-09-11, 20:22
Somewhere in the refinishing process they have to subject the bbl to high pressure hot water or something. They didn't properly cork it and as a result it developed rust in the 1/4 nearest the muzzle.

charmcitycop
06-09-11, 23:31

scottryan
06-10-11, 08:03
That place the OP is doing business with are bottom feeders.

grimm
06-10-11, 09:56
While doing a coating of my Glock 19, the company messed up the original barrel and as a replacement they coated a Storm Lake SS barrel without contacting me.
The president says that they think it's a superior product, however, I am not convinced and I think that for my purposes (self defense, trainig) a Glock OEM barrel is better suited. Especially since I shoot dirt cheap ammo (Wolf steel case) through my Glocks.
I wonder if anybody has experience with the Storm Lake barrel and whether it's any better than Glock OEM.

Thanks!

The situation was poorly handled by the company. If they are a big outfit, a bbl shouldn't be a problem. Have them send you a check for the cost of the part. If you paid with cc, dispute it for services not rendered/completed.