PDA

View Full Version : I hate every thread like this - Can't Decide - FN Scar or HK MR556

forgiven
06-08-11, 18:35
Forgive me M4 carbine, but I've saved the funds and now that the FN Scar 16 ($2,300), 17 ($2,570), and HK MR 556 ($2,550) are ALL AVAILABLE -

I didn't expect this, nor did I plan for this.

So please, help me pick one!

MountainRaven
06-08-11, 19:17
SCAR 17S.

It's only $20 more than the H&K, but brings with it all of the capabilities of the 7.62mm NATO cartridge and it's only a matter of time before we see conversion kits for 5.56mm NATO for the 17S.

Armati
06-08-11, 19:56
If you want a 5.56mm go with the proven and highly developed M4 system.

The SCAR 17 is the only rifle that gives you an additional capability.

GKoenig
06-08-11, 20:40
Get the SCAR 17.

I bought the MR556 a couple of weeks ago. I haven't even shot it yet, and I have some quasi buyers remorse. I'll probably sell it at a slight loss and get myself the SCAR 17S.

Hell, anyone want a deal on an MR556?

Ferris2son
06-08-11, 20:45
SCAR 17
IF you can afford to feed it.

forgiven
06-08-11, 21:07
For the gentleman that suggested an M4, I already have two 6920s, looking to get something new.

SteyrAUG
06-08-11, 21:21
You already have 6920s for serious rifles and both the SCAR and HK are going to be very high quality so just buy the one that gives you the biggest stiffy.

If you still can't decide try this mental exercise. Imagine you are Arnold Schwarzenegger in the movie Commando during the kidnap scene. You run out to the tool shed / secret weapon bunker and open the hidden door. Only instead of a rack of HK91s you mentally substitute FN SCARs and HK 556s.

Now run the movie in your head. Which one was there? If both which one did you grab to kill the bad guys? The one that is most prominent in your Commando fantasy scene is the one you desire the most. That is the one you should buy.

It is a useful psychological trick I have used to make many a major gun purchase.

:jester:

mkmckinley
06-08-11, 21:26
I'd go with the SCAR.

SRT-M4
06-08-11, 21:50
I'd go with the SCAR.

Ditto

Either SCAR for sure. Once you have both SCARs then go for the HK.

decodeddiesel
06-08-11, 21:53
You already have 6920s for serious rifles and both the SCAR and HK are going to be very high quality so just buy the one that gives you the biggest stiffy.

If you still can't decide try this mental exercise. Imagine you are Arnold Schwarzenegger in the movie Commando during the kidnap scene. You run out to the tool shed / secret weapon bunker and open the hidden door. Only instead of a rack of HK91s you mentally substitute FN SCARs and HK 556s.

Now run the movie in your head. Which one was there? If both which one did you grab to kill the bad guys? The one that is most prominent in your Commando fantasy scene is the one you desire the most. That is the one you should buy.

It is a useful psychological trick I have used to make many a major gun purchase.

Along these lines, I just watched (for probably the 20th time) The Way of The Gun since it is now on Netflix Instant Watch. I was thinking about how the Galil is used by the desperadoes in the movie, part assault rifle/part DMR/Sniper rifle...In this case the SCAR-H is the obvious winner and would kick ass in this role.

JoshNC
06-08-11, 22:15
........so just buy the one that gives you the biggest stiffy.

Steyr, this is FANTASTIC advice. I really love it. Well put my friend.

Of the rifles listed by the OP, my personal bias goes to the SCAR-17. It will be the next purchase in my collection.

Hunter Rose
06-08-11, 22:15

A thousand thanks for this little gem. I will never worry about deciding between two firearms ever again!:D

To the OP, I'd go with one of the SCARs (17 if you can afford to feed it 7.62mm) since the HK doesn't seem like it would supplant your 6920s.

zacbol
06-08-11, 22:32
Where are you seeing the SCAR17 for $2550? Just curious. Haven't been paying much attention to prices since I picked mine up but that's a damn good price.

forgiven
06-08-11, 22:48
Where are you seeing the SCAR17 for $2550? Just curious. Haven't been paying much attention to prices since I picked mine up but that's a damn good price.

CDNN + Local dealer

fhpchris
06-08-11, 23:24
For the gentleman that suggested an M4, I already have two 6920s, looking to get something new.

If you already have two 5.56 guns, then the Scar is a hard option to beat. If you really want a 3rd 5.56 gun than the MR-556 isn't bad. I think wanting a 308 really changes everything, because that section of the market is a large one. You got LMT, KAC, FN (Scar-17 and FAL), HK91 series (yes it is older, but not a bad choice.), and a few others I am sure.

Personally if you were buying me one, I would have you buy me a KAC, but if I gotta afford one... I would have one of the HK builders make me a HK91 from one of those really nice and 400$ einfield kits. Most of the parts have german proofs on them, and one day I can get an auto-sear. I think it is all up to personal preference. I will be all over the Scar-17 when the magazines and barrels are out there, but I only own a few rifles. If I had the need for a toy, the scar would be a killer choice. I do not know if it is worth selling the HK now though, it might be better to just save up and wait and buy one. I do not see any reason why the price is going to stay high with supply increasing in the future.

Spare magazines and no spare barrels could be an issue for now. If the scar is a toy, then who cares. If it is your only rifle, than that changes things. I do not think I would be happy with less than 10 magazines, and that alone could be 400-500$ or more.

HK51Fan
06-09-11, 01:31
I just went through this same scenario. I had narrowed it down to the SCAR-17H and the MR556. I really wanted a .308, but the MR556 looks really nice.
When I sat back and made a list of what I really liked about each one I decided to go this route instead. I like the proven design, it's built by a quality company, mags are readily available, I'm still not sold on the plastic that the SCAR's have. I like an all metal weapon and this one is nice and shiny like the MR556.
She was shipped out today and should be here Saturday or Monday.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=232118733

This one popped up on GB a few days ago and I probably would have picked it instead of the one I purchased idf it ha been on GB when I bought mine. I could saved some money to put towards some nice optics.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=233535504

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-09-11, 01:44
I have owned a 416 upper and currently own a Scar 17. If it was my only rifle I would probably buy the MR556.

Magic_Salad0892
06-09-11, 02:59
SCAR-17, or Knights SR-15.

Iraqgunz
06-09-11, 04:13
The MR556 is such a bastard it gives me a soft on. I would say go for the SCAR 17. Then get a Dremel and go to town on the lower so it will use PMAG's.

JoshNC
06-09-11, 05:17
I have owned a 416 upper and currently own a Scar 17. If it was my only rifle I would probably buy the MR556.

Whoa, hold the phone.....are you no longer running a 416 upper on you M16 lower?

QuietShootr
06-09-11, 07:06

LMFAO!! Added to the arsenal.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-09-11, 11:26
Josh,

I sold it about a year ago to help finance a new office for my practice. I have another one coming (with the new barrel profile) and it should be here in a month or two.

fhpchris
06-09-11, 22:43
I just went through this same scenario. I had narrowed it down to the SCAR-17H and the MR556. I really wanted a .308, but the MR556 looks really nice.
When I sat back and made a list of what I really liked about each one I decided to go this route instead. I like the proven design, it's built by a quality company, mags are readily available, I'm still not sold on the plastic that the SCAR's have. I like an all metal weapon and this one is nice and shiny like the MR556.
She was shipped out today and should be here Saturday or Monday.

This one popped up on GB a few days ago and I think I may have picked instead of the one I purchased and saved some money to put towards some nice optics.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=233535504

Those are both some nice looking rifles :)

I think the 1800$ one is pretty attractive if you don't want the extras your rifle came with. That is ~700$+ less than a 17s, not even counting the 400-500$ in mags. The difference in cost will be as much as a good suppressor!

GunSlinger
06-09-11, 22:57

I almost think you stole this thought from my brain, for I have used this very ruse from time to time in my decision making.
your alright man, I'm going to change everything I said about you.

Sigmax
06-10-11, 00:31
I have another one coming (with the new barrel profile) and it should be here in a month or two.

Thank god, you without the 416 is enough to knock the stars out of alignment. I was almost going to send you mine.....almost.

It's like Josh without a SIG 553, just unnatural.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-10-11, 06:38
LOL. That's probably true.

OTO27
06-10-11, 13:09
Between the 17 and MR556, its a no brainer, go with the 17. Now I have a similar dilema except is between the 17 and the PredatAR. I have been holding of on making a thread since I know how much its frowned upon but if I dont make up my mind soon, gona have to do it.

HK51Fan
06-11-11, 16:30
Between the 17 and MR556, its a no brainer, go with the 17. Now I have a similar dilema except is between the 17 and the PredatAR. I have been holding of on making a thread since I know how much its frowned upon but if I dont make up my mind soon, gona have to do it.

between the two I would go with the SCAR 17, The PredatAR is really just another AR. IMO.

P.S. With the DSA FAL and my HK51, and my M1A1 springfield I'm pretty well covered on .308, but I do still have a hankering for the SCAR. I also have a hankering for the new SIG 550-A1 that CDNN is bringing out. I'm going to need to really look at the 550-A1 before I make a decision on the SCAR. Really like the look and the specs, but still not 100% on the amount of plastic these rifles have for the cost. I know that's on me and something I'll need to get over.

On another note, my DSA FAL won't be here till tuesday. I guess my overnighting the money to the guy in FL ( he got it last Saturday) didn't convey exactly how excited I was to take possesion of this rifle, so he didn''t send it out till Wed!!! WTF? :sad:

andy t
06-11-11, 19:43
If you are planning to shoot this gun a significant amount and have no special requirements for the capabilities of a 7.62mm cartridge, get the SCAR 16S. It has the following going for it (from my POV):
- Cheaper to shoot than 17
- Magazines are plentiful
- Lighter than HK
- Has side folder in addition to collapsible stock

HK51Fan
06-11-11, 20:31
I disagree with the SCAR-16, I think for the money if you're going to go with a .223 of that type the ACR is a better rifle and costs less.
The SCAR-17 is unique it's lightweight and the heavy bolt make it a great heavy caliber weapon which is almost as accurate as the SR-25.

gew98
06-12-11, 01:01

Do you have the ability to prose this in a way a female would buy into it willingly ?. I ask as I have tried similar feats of imagination and ...well she whom must be obeyed just does'nt get the bigger picture...and I lose.

MountainRaven
06-12-11, 13:29
I disagree with the SCAR-16, I think for the money if you're going to go with a .223 of that type the ACR is a better rifle and costs less.

I'm curious as to how you figure that the ACR is better than the SCAR, given that the ACR is much heavier and Travis Haley (formerly of Magpul Dynamics) has stated that he would much sooner have a SCAR than an ACR (even the Remington-branded .mil version).

QuietShootr
06-12-11, 13:48
The SCAR-17 is unique it's lightweight and the heavy bolt make it a great heavy caliber weapon which is almost as accurate as the SR-25.

LMFAO!!

Sit down.

Robc1219
06-13-11, 08:46
I'm feeln the same..which to choose. I did own the FDE SCAR 16s but had to sell for financial reasons and regret it. Saving for something new. IMO..The SCAR was light weight, barely any recoil, functioned flawlessly. Only thing I didn't like was the bulkyness of the stock (perfer M4 style). I've only held the MR556, it was heavier but felt solid. All I know is you can't go wrong with the SCAR, I would get it in black now since they have the rail extension, which looks amazing.

QuietShootr
06-13-11, 08:55
Do you have the ability to prose this in a way a female would buy into it willingly ?. I ask as I have tried similar feats of imagination and ...well she whom must be obeyed just does'nt get the bigger picture...and I lose.

Found your problem. Failure to establish chain of command.

Firefly
06-15-11, 16:36
My unsolicited opinion:

I've considered the same things as the OP, however, keeping it in the realm of the parameters of a 5.56 rifle:

I am getting the MR556. Here are my reasons:

- I have some experience with the 14.5 HK416 and while not all the same rifle, I feel comfortable enough with it moreso than learning a new rifle. A new rifle which I have only cursory experience with.

- I have a few HK magazines that, while not my first line magazines, I know will work and are compatible with the HK magwell. That and oodles of USGI magazines (some going back 20 years or more) and Don't mind buying a few Emags.

-The Stock. The SCAR stock is nice, but it's just a folding stock that collapses and it feels too flimsy. I don't like that. I'd sooner just have a collapsing stock and buying an AR style stock for a SCAR is purpose defeating if all I want is a piston rifle.

Also with SteyrAUGs method of picking a rifle...in that scenario, between the two...MR 556 hands down. Yes it's just "another" AR, but both are way more expensive than they need to be and if I'm going to dump that much money into another rifle, it's going to be something I automatically feel comfortable with. Plus the protruding reciprocating charging handle is a turnoff. At least the AK handle is on the right, receiver side and not near any thumbs or fingers.

Plus on a lighter note: I'd sooner buy a German gun than a Belgian one.

either way, when I finally do get the HK, I just don't see myself retiring the Colt anyways.

zacbol
06-15-11, 20:25
Plus the protruding reciprocating charging handle is a turnoff. At least the AK handle is on the right, receiver side and not near any thumbs or fingers.

The charging handle can be moved to either side of the weapon, it's just on the left by default.

Firefly
06-16-11, 06:09
The charging handle can be moved to either side of the weapon, it's just on the left by default.

Changing sides really doesn't help for me. It still gets in the way. I understand why they put it where they put it, but by making it reciprocate they really just defeated the purpose and gave it a new problem. You either need to watch where you put your hands or you have to get a vertical grip and I just don't have enough time or patience to go through all that. It's a new set of muscle memory that I don't need to learn.

The AK handle is fixed and reciprocating but it is back and to the rear...this thing is too far forward and the only way to mitigate it would be to get one of those promised aftermarket parts.

For over two large, I shouldn't have to modify anything. That's just me though.

Cylinder Head
06-16-11, 15:33
Then get a Dremel and go to town on the lower so it will use PMAG's.

LMAO. Don't make me post those pictures up.

Get the SCAR.

HK51Fan
06-16-11, 20:45
I'm curious as to how you figure that the ACR is better than the SCAR, given that the ACR is much heavier and Travis Haley (formerly of Magpul Dynamics) has stated that he would much sooner have a SCAR than an ACR (even the Remington-branded .mil version).

Hey I'm giving my opinion based on my observations of the 2 weapons platforms. If you do or do not agree that's fine, as I have no dog in this fight. On the other hand I would take what any former employee says about ANY THING...with a grain of salt!
I've handled the both of them, I like the ACR better. I looked up the prices and wholesale through JSC is around 1500.00 for the enhanced rifle, so to me that was a better deal.
I handled the SCAR heavy, I liked it, but I liked the DSA FAL better....so I went with the FAL. I must say that I do plan on purchasing a SCAR !7 in the future. As for the SCAR 16, I'd get the ACR regardless of the weight.
I also happen to be 6'4" and an avid weight lifter/moutain biker so there aren't a lot of weapons platforms that feel cumbersome to me. I'm not the norm though.

fhpchris
06-16-11, 20:50
Hey I'm giving my opinion based on my observations of the 2 weapons platforms. If you do or do not agree that's fine, as I have no dog in this fight. On the other hand I would take what any former employee says about ANY THING...with a grain of salt!
I've handled the both of them, I like the ACR better. I looked up the prices and wholesale through JSC is around 1500.00 for the enhanced rifle, so to me that was a better deal.
I handled the SCAR heavy, I liked it, but I liked the DSA FAL better....so I went with the FAL. I must say that I do plan on purchasing a SCAR !7 in the future. As for the SCAR 16, I'd get the ACR regardless of the weight.
I also happen to be 6'4" and an avid weight lifter/moutain biker so there aren't a lot of weapons platforms that feel cumbersome to me. I'm not the norm though.

I agree with you. I think what he said below is out of line and rather disrespectful. I think he is the one that needs to sit down.... Do you really believe he needs a .308 for home defense? :sarcastic:

LMFAO!!

Sit down.

You can actually buy barrels and tons of spare magazines for the ACR. Yes, it might be a tad heavy, but I hardly see that as a reason to laugh at him. Milled AKs are not light yet they have this habit of working.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/bigdog2003_99/2011-01-25_19-57-10_550.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/bigdog2003_99/2011-01-22_17-08-40_320.jpg

Just saying... I think a SBR ACR is not a bad thing.:blink:

(http://www.silencertests.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=67481) thread on the gun if anyone has questions...

The Scar-H is not a bad gun, but it is still suffering from the fact it is in high demand and is very new.

HK51Fan
06-16-11, 21:07
LMFAO!!

Sit down.

Shootr - Did I offend you? Because you've offended me.
I have given my opinion, if you don't like it then give your own opinio, but don't attack me and tell me to sit down!
If you own a SCAR 16 then I understand you have a dog in this fight and I hope you like it and that it works for you.
I opted not to buy one as I didn't see anything really spectacular about it ( my xcr and my M4orgery work just fine). The SCAR 17 though, it has my attention! As I stated in another thread I had the coin to buy any one of these rifles a few weeks ago........and after careful consideration I opted for a DSA FAL instead. This is the one I bought:

So all I'm telling the guy is to keep an open mind. List what he's looking for and what he likes about each one and then look at which one offers the most........after you've done all of that work, then you sit back and think about them over the course of a week. Whichever one you keep pulling pics and specs to look over is the one to get. Now you may find yourself in my position where you like more than one. At that point you have to ask yourselve which one to get first!:D
BUY IT!
Then start putting money away for the next one.....:jester:

here is my list...

1. DSA FAL/ Saiga S-12 plus conversion ( bought them both and conversion is currently being done and will be completed this weekend).

2. MR556 ( Really like the look and feel, also it's HK so you know it will hold it's value.

3. SCAR 17 currently being used overseas and seems to be doing well, parts and mags are scarce and price may drop like the SCAR 16 in a few months.

4. ACR - don't really need it, but after waiting for 4yrs think I should get one.

5. FNP45 tactical/ FDE - personally have not been this excited about a new .45 pistol since the HK USP came out! ( may very well take the #3 slot the more I read about it and handle them).

Once again this is my list and my insights for the poster to mull over as he's making a decision. I'm not putting it out there for ridicule or bebasement.......if you feel the need to do that then PM me and we can....chat. If you really feel strongly about it then you can even come to San Antonio to talk about it over a beer......or whatever.:bad:

HK51Fan
06-16-11, 21:16
I agree with you. I think what he said below is out of line and rather disrespectful. I think he is the one that needs to sit down.... Do you really believe he needs a .308 for home defense? :sarcastic:

You can actually buy barrels and tons of spare magazines for the ACR. Yes, it might be a tad heavy, but I hardly see that as a reason to laugh at him. Milled AKs are not light yet they have this habit of working.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/bigdog2003_99/2011-01-25_19-57-10_550.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/bigdog2003_99/2011-01-22_17-08-40_320.jpg

Just saying... I think a SBR ACR is not a bad thing.:blink:

(http://www.silencertests.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=67481) thread on the gun if anyone has questions...

The Scar-H is not a bad gun, but it is still suffering from the fact it is in high demand and is very new.

Very nice platform you have there FhpChris. That is very close to what I had envisioned my ACR to be.

No I don't think that .308 is a normal home defense round. I do know that it is a very potent rd with great penetration and a distinctive "BARK" which will make people double think their silly actions.....fast, quick, and in a hurry!:bad:

fhpchris
06-16-11, 21:28
Very nice platform you have there FhpChris. That is very close to what I had envisioned my ACR to be.

No I don't think that .308 is a normal home defense round. I do know that it is a very potent rd with great penetration and a distinctive "BARK" which will make people double think their silly actions.....fast, quick, and in a hurry!:bad:

It is not mine, but I have wanted one because of the amount of parts compatibility with the AR15.

I have only a single KAC lower at this time. (sold rifles to pay for school costs :()

MountainRaven
06-16-11, 21:56

Everyone is a former employee. ;)

Frankly, given that Haley left on friendly terms, and given what I know of his character, I find it hard to believe that he would lie or exaggerate in this matter.

Fair enough.

Mass is mass is mass. It doesn't matter how strong you are, something with less mass is going to take less of a toll than something with more mass. It will also be faster target-to-target, easier to operate when weak, ill, or disabled, and a lighter weapon, of course, gives you the opportunity to carry more things that are not weapon. It also means that someone like a wife or a child, who may not be as strong as you are, will be less likely to struggle against the weapon if they use it.

HK51Fan
06-17-11, 00:25
It is not mine, but I have wanted one because of the amount of parts compatibility with the AR15.

I have only a single KAC lower at this time. (sold rifles to pay for school costs :()

I know what you mean. a lot of the fun and superfluous weapons I owned have slowly been getting sold and I'm buying weapons that will hold up to more use. As a matter of fact the money I used to buy the DSA came from my selling my LTD MSAR STG556 setup. I had # 150 of 1500 of the first run which came with a pelican case, knife and sheath, 4 mags, sling, side rail, and olive green rifle. I've heard rumors of the company having problems and didn't want to get stuck with a paperweight. I own 2 Robarms weapons (M96 recon and an XCR-L) with Robarms being such a small company, those might become paperweights. I just wanted to limit my exposure!

I have also enrolled back in school, should have my B.S. in nursing in May and then will decide whether to continue my education as a Nurse practitioner or take my MCAT and apply to Med School.

bigdog2003_99
06-17-11, 18:43
thanks for the good words fhpchris, its a great platform imo

thats actually my sbr acr, i didnt post it over here because almost every thread i read about an acr turns into some sort of argument :(