PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio members

santi210
06-08-11, 21:00
Looking for some local like minded folks interested in training, range trips, weapon build conversation, ect. Can't seem to find too many here in San Antonio.

infidelprodigy
06-08-11, 21:08
Well I'm here!!!! Also the best shop in town for our kind of stuff is Alamo Tactical. I have shot matches with Chris (the owner) and he is a cool guy. Good prices on gear as well.

We'll see what we can set up re: range stuff....

-Dale

santi210
06-08-11, 21:22
Oh yeah, been over there a few times just far as hell from where i'm at (1604 and potranco) I usually do my shooting at bullet hole, weekdays ONLY!!!! That place is ridiculous on the weekends. I have been wanting to get into competition shooting as well as some carbine training classes in order to be more proficient just wasn't sure of any reputable courses here locally.

adh
06-08-11, 22:33
I'm out in Boerne.....work pretty close to SA international airport....I used to do the bullet hole pistol league, but now it's only on Saturdays from 1-7....you used to be able to shoot it on Thursdays and Fridays as well starting at 1pm....I'd go during my lunch.

I am hoping the next time MAST has a class in Houston, that I'll be able to go there for it
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81655

Hopefully once the new FBI range is built, we'll see some courses come to SA :D http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/article/College-board-OKs-FBI-firing-range-791250.php

infidelprodigy
06-09-11, 13:54
Well, good news is Alamo Tac is moving out to 1604 & I-10 area in a couple of months (I live up in that area as well). He's also trying to see about a facility for more realistic shooting because sadly the ranges around here suck the huge one.......

adh
06-09-11, 16:14
Well, good news is Alamo Tac is moving out to 1604 & I-10 area in a couple of months (I live up in that area as well). He's also trying to see about a facility for more realistic shooting because sadly the ranges around here suck the huge one.......

Very cool......and yes...the majority of ranges around here suck the big fat chorizo

Backstop
06-09-11, 16:56
Very cool......and yes...the majority of ranges around here suck the big fat chorizo

Not exactly.

I've been a member of Blackhawk for about 10 yrs, and River City Shooters Club (RCSC) for about 7 yrs.

RCSC has a semi-private range they rent from Blackhawk. The RCSC range is only open to the public for matches. Think they're only having 1 match a month - USPSA or something like that.

But as a member of RCSC, I can use the range any day, all day - as long as there's no match, maint, etc. going on.

You can shoot rifle, shotgun, FA, pistol - whatever the **** you want. The only rules are be safe and clean up after yourself.

RCSC has some new rules, whereby a non-member can be brought into RCSC one time - to see what it's like, shoot, etc.

You can email RCSC and have someone meet you out there, or contact a member for a tour.

Schedule depending, I may be able to show you around the place.

I can also tell you that because of some idiots, joining RCSC isn't guaranteed. They'll want to meet FTF with you, jibba jabba a bit, etc.

Here's RCSC's website: http://www.rcsctx.org/

As far as IDPA, Carbine, 3-Gun matches, I've been shooting with Mike at TexasTactial for about 10 yrs. He's good people, as are most everyone that attends. http://www.texastactical.net/

Friend was telling me today that Bullet Hole has improved. That was the first range I joined after moving here. In years gone by, they'd rent their Special Events bay to us for drills, etc. I haven't been there in about 6 years though.

A Place To Shoot had a lost brass policy about 8 years ago - and I haven't been back since. The only reason I went there was to use the pistol supports they had after I changed sights.

Edit:

Forgot about this.

If you join GOTX Forum, you'll find a group of guy that meet.

I have no more info about that to share.

santi210
06-09-11, 18:42
Not exactly.

I've been a member of Blackhawk for about 10 yrs, and River City Shooters Club (RCSC) for about 7 yrs.

RCSC has a semi-private range they rent from Blackhawk. The RCSC range is only open to the public for matches. Think they're only having 1 match a month - USPSA or something like that.

But as a member of RCSC, I can use the range any day, all day - as long as there's no match, maint, etc. going on.

You can shoot rifle, shotgun, FA, pistol - whatever the **** you want. The only rules are be safe and clean up after yourself.

RCSC has some new rules, whereby a non-member can be brought into RCSC one time - to see what it's like, shoot, etc.

You can email RCSC and have someone meet you out there, or contact a member for a tour.

Schedule depending, I may be able to show you around the place.

I can also tell you that because of some idiots, joining RCSC isn't guaranteed. They'll want to meet FTF with you, jibba jabba a bit, etc.

Here's RCSC's website: http://www.rcsctx.org/

As far as IDPA, Carbine, 3-Gun matches, I've been shooting with Mike at TexasTactial for about 10 yrs. He's good people, as are most everyone that attends. http://www.texastactical.net/

Friend was telling me today that Bullet Hole has improved. That was the first range I joined after moving here. In years gone by, they'd rent their Special Events bay to us for drills, etc. I haven't been there in about 6 years though.

A Place To Shoot had a lost brass policy about 8 years ago - and I haven't been back since. The only reason I went there was to use the pistol supports they had after I changed sights.

Edit:

Forgot about this.

If you join GOTX Forum, you'll find a group of guy that meet.

I have no more info about that to share.

Thanks for the info. Yeah Since I live right down the street from bullet hole i usually go there and i agree, it has improved.

I'll definitely check out RCSC.

adh
06-09-11, 22:16
I will have to check out Texas Tactical and RCSC....thanks for the heads up. Too bad Blackhawk is soooooo far away for me.

Indy5000
06-10-11, 15:11
I shoot with Texas Tactical as well. Good group to shoot with. I'm still trying to make my first Carbine match though. Hopefully, next month.

Redhat
06-10-11, 16:56
If you don't mind me asking, what is it you like about Texas Tactical? I'd be interested in a few more details.

Thanks

Backstop
06-10-11, 18:58
If you don't mind me asking, what is it you like about Texas Tactical? I'd be interested in a few more details.

Thanks

Sure, no problem.

Mike Webb (owner) and his wife are genuinely nice folks. They bring their kids and dog to matches, and the regulars all watch out for them.

I’ve watched their second youngest grow up around the range. Few years back, he was moving this plate steel. Piece was about 12” x 4”, and it was all he could do to pick it up, let alone move. That little guy worked and worked. He’d pick it up, and drop it. Then he’d kick at it, scowl at it, then try again. He got so mad he started to cry. But by God that little man carried that steel about 20 yds.

Mike is extremely flexible, and allows me to shoot an IDPA match with gloves, or maybe use my 6004 as I need to practice with it, etc. As I’ve mentioned before, I remain UNCLAS in IDPA. That’s a personal choice as I’m not there for the game, and I’ve never shot a Classifier. I can’t remember a single time that Mike has mentioned it.

One time, Mike goofed on a carbine COF. Basically, after turning about 4 times walking through, the COF required me to break the 180. I really couldn’t tell I broke it after all the turning – plus I was inside walls, and couldn’t see anything. The RO DQ’d me for the day, screamed a bit, didn’t like what I screamed back at him, so he called Mike. Mike came over, fixed the COF, and put me on another squad so I could keep shooting.

I remember one time the wall fell over on me. I kept my carbine down range, finger off the trigger, etc. The only thing unsafe about it all was the 4x8 piece of plywood falling on me. The rest of the squad was shitting bricks, and some folks actually ran for cover. I was laughing the entire time. I’m sworn to secrecy here, but Mike made sure I was able to shoot for a while.

I play baseball and hockey, and sometimes disappear for a few months. I still get to RCSC, but can’t manage the time for matches. Mike and the rest of the regulars always welcome me back.

Due to injury (broken ankle), 2 minor surgeries, both my parents going in the hospital multiple times, and then me moving, I didn’t shoot a match with Mike in over a year. I went back in April or May, and the regulars all asked how I was doing, where I had been, and put me on the squad with all the regulars.

I went to a match one time after puking my guts out at home - thought it was over. About the 2nd stage, I started getting sick again. Went and found Mike, and told him I was gone. He offered, then personally walked me to each stage, and I shot it next. No one minded, and Mike did me a nice favor. Think I puked twice during those stages. HAHA!

I remember when someone bulldozed all Mike’s props at the Johnson City Range.

Mike has a great new shooters briefing.

Everyone there will help new shooters. Folks have loaned, guns, ammo, pouches, ear pro, etc.

Like anything else though, there are turds in the punch bowl. There are really only 2 people out there I avoid. And even then, it’s nothing to lose sleep over.

Frankly, I couldn’t think of a better group of folks to shoot with.

Oh – I can tell you right now there is some animosity between Mike and RCSC. The explanation has been offered to me a few times, but I just don’t care to hear it. Both groups have treated me well over the years. I'm gonna say it's a topic that shouldn't be mentioned. There are some RCSC regulars that shoot with Mike. Like I said, I don't know what happened, and I don't want to know.

Hope that helps.

If you have any more questions, I'll try to answer them.

There is an IDPA match tomorrow at Cedar Ridge, but not sure if I can make it.

Redhat
06-10-11, 20:00
Backstop,

Thanks.

I went to the web site but couldn't find much background info and the forum is a dead end link.

Backstop
06-10-11, 21:04
Yeah, the webiste is pretty basic.

On the homepage you can subscribe to his emails.

He always sends out emails about the next matches, and any other stuff. If you subscribe, you won't miss any announcements.

You know, it just dawned on me I didn't really address the matches themselves. IE the COFs and props.

The COFs are basic to pretty good, and Mike's props are good. I've seen worse, and I've seen better.

The props at RCSC are better. But as I mentioned above, folks just weren't going to their IDPA, so they stopped having them.

johnpuga1982
03-01-12, 17:24
I'm in San Antonio, born and raised.