PDA

View Full Version : Shot New AR15 for the first time.

Crayder90
06-08-11, 23:04
So I finally got to shoot my S&W M&P15 for the first time. Can't emphasize enough about how awesome it was. That was the first time I shot a 223 round. It had a little more kick to it than I thought it would but not too bad. Grant over at G&R Tactical hooked me up with a heavier buffer and some other tips which helped out very much. Every time I'm in his area I try and stop in, always good to do business with him. I'm also sporting the M4Carbine.net shirt as well thanks to Grant. Anyways, the gun shot very nice and I was able to site in the BUIS. After a couple of hundred rounds she started smoking a little, I guess burning off the oil since it got pretty hot. No FTE, FTF, no problems at all. I ran 3 different kinds of ammo and 5 mags without a single hiccup. I'm going to have to do a lot more shooting now that I'm hooked :D.

Facejackets
06-08-11, 23:12
Welcome to the addiction and the end of your bank account.

Congrats

Crayder90
06-08-11, 23:33
Welcome to the addiction and the end of your bank account.

Congrats

Uh oh . . . the wife ain't gonna like that. :( lol

blackgt85
06-09-11, 00:50

My fiance don't! Had to be creative when I told her about my AK purchase. Little does she know, there is another AK in the future! Grant is a cool guy, thats who I bought my BCM from. Wouldn't hesitate doing business with him again. I bet you will be doing alot more business with him! Have fun with your AR, and all the future AR's you will find yourself aquiring!

Magic_Salad0892
06-09-11, 07:36
Get the female addicted. Only way.

Glad we got a new recruit.

turbo38gn
06-09-11, 07:51
Great to hear of another happy Ar user... what model M&P did you purchase and why the buffer change out of the box....

Crayder90
06-09-11, 08:18
Great to hear of another happy Ar user... what model M&P did you purchase and why the buffer change out of the box....

I have the m&p15. Grant is very knowledgeable on the m&p15. He said it's over gassed & would benefit from a heavier buffer. It worked without any problems.

turbo38gn
06-09-11, 12:03
I have the m&p15. Grant is very knowledgeable on the m&p15. He said it's over gassed & would benefit from a heavier buffer. It worked without any problems.

Are you saying you had a problem with the gun being over-gased, so you replaced the buffer or you just were being pro-active and replaced it with a better part? Just wondering, I have an M&P15-ORC, it has seemed to run fine from the factory, with roughly 1000 plus rounds through it this past year, would I need to upgrade my buffer and what would I notice as a difference in performance?

jmp45
06-09-11, 12:25
I have an M&P 15OR, never had any issues with it. At the last class with Grant I picked up an H2 buffer as Grant suggested, being these are a little over gassed. Shoots a little softer which was never a big issue but it seemed to help the ejection angle a little with 5.56. I'm lucky to live near Grant, he really is the go to guy for all things that go bang.

I'm hoping to have a troy trx extreme 11 and lo pro block installed this summer. Maybe that will help me hit a little better..;)

toekneeg
06-09-11, 12:41
Nothing wrong with the M&P 15 out of the box. The heavier buffer just helps it shoot a little "softer".

Threw an H2 buffer and Battlecomp on a buddies M&P15 MOE and run super smooth even with XM193! I love M&Ps!

cochraneap
06-09-11, 13:09
That was the first time I shot a 223 round. It had a little more kick to it than I thought it would

weird. people who shoot my ARs for the first time always say, "I thought it was going to kick bad, but it didn't kick at all!"

Crayder90
06-09-11, 15:10
Are you saying you had a problem with the gun being over-gased, so you replaced the buffer or you just were being pro-active and replaced it with a better part? Just wondering, I have an M&P15-ORC, it has seemed to run fine from the factory, with roughly 1000 plus rounds through it this past year, would I need to upgrade my buffer and what would I notice as a difference in performance?

No problems with it. Just wanted it to shoot a little softer.

Crayder90
06-09-11, 15:12
weird. people who shoot my ARs for the first time always say, "I thought it was going to kick bad, but it didn't kick at all!"

I guess everything is relative. I've been shooting too many 22LRs I guess. It's definitely softer than my SKS for sure.

hellbound
06-09-11, 15:30

most commercial AR manufacturers open up their gas port for greater ammunition compatibility. this is great for underpowered ammo like wolf, silver bear, or tulammo, however for 5.56 pressure rounds like XM193 or TAP, you're over gassed.

the heavier buffer helps to slow the action down and mitigate the effects of overgassing such as a harsher recoil and excess wear and tear on internal components.

a properly gassed AR should eject between the 3 and 4 o'clock positions. if you're ejecting between 12 and 3 o'clock you're overgassed, and can add a heavier buffer. if you're ejecting past 4 o'clock, you should switch to a lighter buffer. if you're already using a standard carbine buffer, and still ejecting past 4 o'clock, you should check for an undersized gas port, loose gas key, missing/broken gas rings, or misaligned gas block.

Facejackets
06-10-11, 01:31

that sucks. My fiance just got angry at me because I wanted to buy an Aero Precision lower. She made me buy a Noveske.