PDA

View Full Version : Noveske build - Mid 16" - Which Upper?

Blowby
06-09-11, 13:08
So I decided to start a Mid 16" build to hold my SS 16x scope. I wanted another AR for 200-400 yard shots. My other AR's probably could work if needed at this range but not the correct combination of parts for over 200-250 yards.

So the lower is complete and test fired using another upper and works as expected.

Lower:
Noveske Lower
DD Bolt Catch
DD Mag Release
Armalite Trigger Group
Milspec LMT Buffer Tube
LMT SOPMOD Stock
Carbine Buffer Spring
Standard Buffer
RRA Star Saftey Selector (Modified)

Now I'm working on the upper and so far this is the mix.

Upper:
BCM or Noveske Upper Receiver?
Noveske 16" Recon SS Mid
TRX Extreme 13"
Troy Folding Battle Sight BUIS
FN FA BCG
Flash Hider / Brake?

I have been looking for a Noveske upper receiver but no luck. I have a new BCM that I can use but was thinking to keep it consistent with the theme. I have not really though about what I should put on the end of the barrel for this type of shooting.

I ask for help from the experts on this site that I've followed and learned from over the years.

Will the BCM or Noveske upper receiver choice be more of a name?
Which muzzle device is optimal for this build?

Thanks in advance!

Please move if this is in the wrong area.

bp7178
06-09-11, 14:00
I don't think there are huge differences in forged receives, provided they both are sold by the higher quality brands. They are probably both made by CMT anyway.

If going standard forged, I would run the Noveske, if for nothing else to keep things the same.

However, I would suggest a Vltor MUR. Very solid, very tight fit to the barrel extension. The newer MURs are forged and finish machined.

If you are using a 16x scope, I would go with a flash hider. I wouldn't take the chance of a comp's effect on the bullet. That being said, the $8 A2 flash hiders are less than optimal. A few reports about them not being concentric. If you figure your flash hider is the last thing your bullet passes on the way to the target. Don't skimp here. A $8 flash hider is $8 for a reason.

Blowby
06-09-11, 17:26
Vltor might be an option if I can find one. I did look at the differences between the old style and new style.

I agree the A2 will not be going on the end. The flash hider I was thinking about is the ITS Twisted (http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/2385) since it is rated pretty good on flash hiding and noise. Any input on this?

Info from the site:
ITS Twisted, 10 (flash reduction), 0 (recoil reduction), 81.4 (db produced)
AAC Blackout, 10 (flash reduction), 0 (recoil reduction), 81.9 (db produced)

bp7178
06-09-11, 18:20
The only FHs I use currently are the Surefire ones. That's just my preference, as they work with the Surefire suppressors and came highly recommend to me in regards to having zero effect on accuracy.

I more or less found the suppressor I wanted, then bought it's matching FH. The only thing I don't like about some is the tuning fork effect with the open ones. If you haven't heard it, get on you tube. Everytime someone with an AAC/Smitch let's a round go it sounds just like someone hits a tuning fork on the end of the barrel.

Brownells has the MURs in stock, and you can order a sterile MUR, without any logos or markings, directly from Vltor. I just got one from them, but I don't know how many they have to sell, it was a limited run.

Blowby
06-10-11, 23:33
Just picked one up today. AAC 18t Flash Hider. That should cut down on the signature and keep the noise from getting out of control like my PWS.

http://www.alliedarmory.com/product_images/x/152/fh_18t__84167_zoom.jpg

Mauser KAR98K
06-11-11, 10:03
How easy are the AAC's to install? Considering getting one myself.

SkiDevil
06-11-11, 10:16
Hello Blowby,
If you look through the Custom Build forum there have been some similar threads regarding this topic (Noveske SPRish type builds).

That said, I have both the standard Upper receiver and the Voltr-Mur on two different rifles.

The accuracy is excellent in both. Unless, you are desiring the absolute utmost in accuracy then just go with the standard receiver. It would also cut-down on some weight from the rifle as well (If you order an upper Directly from Noveske, the stainless typically come with the Voltr-Mur receiver, however you can have Grant (G&R) or another dealer put one together how ever you want).

If you search through my posts, there are pictures posted-up of mine. I have the 16" Recon and the 14.5" Afghan.

Lastly, I have several Vortex FHs and actually like them alot. The noise (ala tuning fork) doesn't personally anoy me. And after shooting at dusk or in the evening I was impressed by the performance. If it was an inferior design I don't believe Noveske would put it on their guns.

Best of Luck in your selection,
SkiDevil