PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry Laws in SC

Bogart
06-09-11, 20:08
Not sure if this is in the right forum, but I was wondering if any of you in South Carolina could let me know where you can and can't carry legally. I would assume most of the laws are similar to North Carolina, but I just wanted to make sure about places such as movie theaters, places that serve alcohol if you're NOT drinking, etc.

Thanks!

Timbonez
06-09-11, 20:36
A .69 second google search yielded this... South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx?MenuID=CWP)

Specifically:
(M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:

(1) police, sheriff, or highway patrol station or any other law enforcement office or facility;

(2) detention facility, prison, or jail or any other correctional facility or office;

(3) courthouse or courtroom;

(4) polling place on election days;

(5) office of or the business meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district;

(6) school or college athletic event not related to firearms;

(7) daycare facility or pre school facility;

(8) place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law;

(9) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body; or

(10) hospital, medical clinic, doctor’s office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly authorized by the employer.
A person who wilfully violates a provision of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than one year, or both, at the discretion of the court and have his permit revoked for five years.
Nothing contained herein may be construed to alter or affect the provisions of Sections 10 11 320, 16 23 420, 16 23 430, 16 23 465, 44 23 1080, 44 52 165, 50 9 830, and 51 3 145.

Section 23-31-400 starts the discussion on alcohol and firearms. Was that so difficult?

Bogart
06-09-11, 20:45
Thanks for that! Out of curiosity, what did you type in to find that. Last time I googled it, I didn't find this.
Thanks again!

Timbonez
06-09-11, 20:51
I typed "South Carolina Gun Laws." It was the first hit.

Avenger29
06-09-11, 20:53
places that serve alcohol if you're NOT drinking, etc

No go. Yeah, don't like it either because it precludes you from most sit down restaurants.

Timbonez
06-09-11, 20:54
By the way, I didn't see anything mentioned when I skimmed through the likely areas about concealed carry in bars and such, but it is specific about consuming alcohol and carrying concealed. If I had to venture a guess, you are probably ok in a bar as long as you do NOT drink. That said, I am not a lawyer and you assume all risks and responsibilities. If you can't find the answer you're looking for, I would call the SLED and ask.

Timbonez
06-09-11, 20:59
No go. Yeah, don't like it either because it precludes you from most sit down restaurants.

Many states have a law about this, but they have something to the effect of "a business earning over 50% of its profits from alcohol" is a no go. This would make most restaurants safe to carry in. There are others that say you can't sit in the bar area of the restaurant, but the rest of the place is ok.

F-Trooper05
06-10-11, 00:19
This book is a must have for anyone who crosses state borders a lot...

http://www.amazon.com/Travelers-Guide-Firearm-Fifty-States/dp/0972548904