PDA

View Full Version : DD Omega Rail- Triangle vs. Round Handguard Cap

aaron_c
06-09-11, 20:11
I've been reading about the problems people have run into with the triangle handguard caps preventing the user from being able to slide accessories onto the rails of the DD Omega- would simply switching out to a round handguard cap prevent this?

And yes, I read through about fifteen threads on the topic, but nobody had a definitive solution or answer to the above question. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help, or who has experience with this!

x-STG1
06-09-11, 21:25
I've been reading about the problems people have run into with the triangle handguard caps preventing the user from being able to slide accessories onto the rails of the DD Omega- would simply switching out to a round handguard cap prevent this?

And yes, I read through about fifteen threads on the topic, but nobody had a definitive solution or answer to the above question. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help, or who has experience with this!

If it is an issue just cut it off. It is not needed with the Omega.

Quick update, pulled my mid-length and carbine out of the safe, Omega's on both and it looks like the triangle will block the bottom of the side rails. The round looks like it will block the top of the side rails.

It you don't want to remove the handguard cap then one option would be to put the accessories on the side rail before installing. You would have to leave the screw holes on the rail uncovered by the accessory. You could then move it after the install to its final position.

Sanpete
06-09-11, 22:01
If it is an issue just cut it off. It is not needed with the Omega.

Quick update, pulled my mid-length and carbine out of the safe, Omega's on both and it looks like the triangle will block the bottom of the side rails. The round looks like it will block the top of the side rails.

It you don't want to remove the handguard cap then one option would be to put the accessories on the side rail before installing. You would have to leave the screw holes on the rail uncovered by the accessory. You could then move it after the install to its final position.

I'm a little confused by your post. Do you have handguard caps on those rifles with the Omega rails? What do you mean by "it looks like it will block"? Do they contact on your rifles?

I can't remember doing an install of an omega rail on a mid or rifle length with the cap, so i can't comment on that, but i've done plenty of omega installs on carbines w/ round caps and the cap has never interfered. They do come very close to the rail, but do not contact.

aaron_c
06-09-11, 22:09
Removing the handguard caps would probably be fine...I just hate the look of that exposed gas tube. I guess it wouldn't cause any issues- you'd think DD or someone would make a more ovular cap that fits the Omega.

x-STG1
06-09-11, 22:30
I'm a little confused by your post. Do you have handguard caps on those rifles with the Omega rails? What do you mean by "it looks like it will block"? Do they contact on your rifles?

I can't remember doing an install of an omega rail on a mid or rifle length with the cap, so i can't comment on that, but i've done plenty of omega installs on carbines w/ round caps and the cap has never interfered. They do come very close to the rail, but do not contact.

Yes the Omega's clear the handguard caps, sliding on an accessory after the install may be an issue.

Looking at the muzzle end of the side rails on the Omega, if you wanted to slide in an accessory onto the side rail the triangle cap will block the bottom portion of the side rail preventing any accessory from sliding on. On the round cap the top of the side rail is blocked so still no go with sliding on an accessory.

It does look like you could possible tweak the round cap just a bit to slide something on.

x-STG1
06-09-11, 22:39
Removing the handguard caps would probably be fine...I just hate the look of that exposed gas tube. I guess it wouldn't cause any issues- you'd think DD or someone would make a more ovular cap that fits the Omega.

Most other FF rails require you to remove the handguard cap. So with the Omega you do have an option to leave them on.

The top and bottom rails are good to go. I have a Gear Sector flashlight mount on the top rail, had no issues sliding it on. No problem with the AFG on the bottom rail either.

aaron_c
06-09-11, 22:58
Most other FF rails require you to remove the handguard cap. So with the Omega you do have an option to leave them on.

The top and bottom rails are good to go. I have a Gear Sector flashlight mount on the top rail, had no issues sliding it on. No problem with the AFG on the bottom rail either.

I'm guessing you have the DD Omega as well then? Thanks for the information, and you make a really great point that I'm shocked I didn't think about to be honest lol. Any other FF rail requires you to remove everything forward of the receiver it seems, and here I am questioning Daniel Defense for giving us options :p

Hopefully my Aimpoint will sell on eBay at a decent price, I think it has about 6 days or so left on it. As long as it meets the reserve price, which I think it will, I'll have a Daniel Defense Omega rail on its way- either before my vacation, or after it (July 3) if I'm concerned it wouldn't be able to arrive before me leaving. I'd hate to have a $300 chunk of metal sitting at my doorstep for 10 days haha.

hals1
06-10-11, 09:57
You could always remove the rail, slide the accessory on and reinstall the rail if you don't change accessories much.

RD62
06-10-11, 11:08
I've got Omegas on rifles with both styles and have never had an issue sliding accessories on the rails, but then the only items I can think of that may slide on versus tip onto the rails are some VFGs and I've never tried mounting one on the side rails.