PDA

View Full Version : Apparently I'm not as good at reloading as I thought I was (poor accuracy)

jumbopanda
06-10-11, 00:09
I just got my first match barreled AR upper, and I was looking forward to shooting some tight groups with it. It was built by Superior Barrels and included several test targets showing that it was capable of sub-MOA 5 and 10 round groups. For my first range trip I prepared several different handloads using Hornady 75gr BTHP, Prvi Match 75gr BTHP, and Nosler Custom Competition 69gr BTHP. I also had some Ultramax 55gr SP, and some old reloads with 55gr Hornady FMJs.

The results were disappointing. I best group I shot was with the Ultramax ammo: 10 shots in roughly an inch at 75yd. I'd consider that pretty good considering that this isn't any sort of match ammo. The problem is, all of my reloads did significantly worse! None of them could group much better than 2 MOA! I think the Noslers did a bit better than the Prvis, and the Hornadys were the worst of all. But in any case, I was not happy.

Here are the details:

The rifle:
-16" Douglas barrel
-Geissele Match trigger
-Nightforce NXS Compact 1-4x scope
-Shot from a rest with rear bag

The ammo:
-Loaded with Dillon .223 dies
-Ramshot TAC powder
-Every charge weighed, ensuring less than 0.1gr max spread.
-Lake City brass (mixed years, not sorted)
-Brass trimmed with Possum Hollow trimmer and chamfered
-Wolf SRM primers
-No crimp
-Didn't do anything to the flash holes or primer pockets
-Headspace was a bit on the long side, but acceptable according to Dillon case gauge.

So based on this, can you guys recommend any ways for me to improve my reloading process?

DocGKR
06-10-11, 00:12
Purchase some Black Hills Match loads or Federal Gold Medal Match and see what your rifle likes and how well it is capable of shooting, then go back and tune your loads...

jumbopanda
06-10-11, 00:25
Purchase some Black Hills Match loads or Federal Gold Medal Match and see what your rifle likes and how well it is capable of shooting, then go back and tune your loads...

Superior Barrels recommends 69gr FGMM, and that's what they used for the test targets, which showed 5 and 10 round groups of just under 1 MOA. However I suppose I should verify this on my own...

Still, I'm open to any general suggestions on how to load sub MOA ammo.

supersix4
06-10-11, 02:25
You did work up the load in half grain increments right? Each and every barrel is different. You will have to find a load that works for that bullet in that barrel. You should also chrono as you work up. It takes a bit of effort to find the exact load that the barrel likes, but it is well worth it.

mizer67
06-10-11, 06:57
Superior Barrels recommends 69gr FGMM, and that's what they used for the test targets, which showed 5 and 10 round groups of just under 1 MOA. However I suppose I should verify this on my own...

Still, I'm open to any general suggestions on how to load sub MOA ammo.

Here's my process for 100 yard sub MOA ammo:

Components:

Brass: LC
Brass Prep: Trimmed, camphered, deburred, FH deburred, headspaced at -.003" in a Forster FL sizing die, but any old die will usually work unless you're tweaking the necks out of true or have too much neck tension that also plays heck with runout
Bullet: 69 SMK
Charge: 24.0 - 24.8 grains of RE-15 weighed to be spot on per my scale
Primer: FGMM, Tula SR, Wolf .223 SRM or Rem 7 1/2 all work
OAL: 2.25
Seating: Redding Comp. Seater
Runout: measured at .001" or less

It's not a smoking hot load, but it's accurate = .86" ES and mean radius of .28" on average over 10 rounds.

I think you need to move up in magnification on your optic though. A 1-4X isn't going to give repeatable precision at the 1/2" level. It's great for what this type of carbine is meant for, but not evaluating the ultimate precision capabilities of your carbine.

markm
06-10-11, 09:01
Check bullet depth seating.. I match my OAL to a good performing factory round.

Bullet Runout (roll the ammo on a flat piece of glass/granite.. something with a reflection if you don't have a guage). Watch the ogive when you do this. A reflection will double the runout and make itself visible to the eye. I took my expander ball OUT of my Dillon carbide sizer and bought a RCBS neck expander die which i use after resizing brass... then tumble the lube off. This reduced my bullet runout.

Make sure the crimp isn't excessive, a LEE FCD is what I use with my dillon dies... or no crimp with 69gr SMKs. Sometimes a crimp will improve consistency in neck tension.

TAC is a decent powder, but I've never had it impress me with accuracy. Get some short cut extruded powder if you're chasing accuracy. Most ball powders just don't deliver.

Brass shouldn't be an issue. Most 5.56/.223 brass has close enough internal case volume that it's a non issue. Just batch them by kind.

That possum hollow trimmer is a piece of shit. I use it for crude short range practice ammo only. It regularly cuts uneven, varying lengths, etc. I use a LE Wilson hand trimmer when I want the job done RIGHT.

The primers are good. But probably not best matched with ball powder... DEFINITELY suck with H335. SRMs will be better with the short cut extruded powders like H322 or Benchmark though... Great with longer cut powder like VARGET or IMR-4064, but then you almost have to hand meter those powders. SRMs should give you low standard deviatons in velocity.

Here's what my silly methods and some 69gr SMKs and IMR 4064 did for Papabear.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/IMR4064.jpg?t=1303417908

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-10-11, 10:43
Lots of good advice for you here brother 2 or 3 for sure. It dosent sound like you did a ladder test? Which in the case of an auto loader where your COAL is restriced by the deminsions of your magazines is esential to finding the sweet spot.

Like it was said before the ladder test must be done with diffrent powders and primer combinations to find the sweet spot.

Also important to remember it could be you, dont let your barrel over heat and always test loads at a minimum distance of 200 yards to allow your bullets time to stabalize.

shootist~
06-10-11, 11:29
What was your powder charge and COL with the 75 grain bullets?

Around to 24.0 grains of TAC has been the sweet spot for my 77 gr SMKs. I've had better luck with the 77 grain SMKs than Hornady 75s. I like Rem 7 1/2 primers, but 90% of what I do is based on personal superstition and the other half on Voodoo. ;)

Using a headspace gauge to adjust your sizer can help some. Use dummy loads to find where your hard-chambered dummy loads start to stick in the chamber and adjust the sizer down a little from there. I size for reliability, but try to not over do it.

30 cal slut
06-10-11, 21:08
i just tried a batch of imr 4064 topped off by a sierra 55 gr fmjbt and rem 7.5 primers. no unusual case prep other than resizing (regular redding full length die and trim if needed with giraud case trimmer).

sierra lists 25.8 grains of imr 4064 as the max load....it just about fills the case up if you've trimmed to 1.75 inches. bullet is definitely touching the powder when seated to coal length of 2.25 inches. listed velocity for this load is about 2,900 fps.

tomme boy
06-11-11, 00:11
You sure it is just not the shooter??

markm
06-11-11, 08:54
i just tried a batch of imr 4064 topped off by a sierra 55 gr fmjbt and rem 7.5 primers.

How are you metering that rice?

30 cal slut
06-11-11, 09:47
Meter? Lol.

Premeasured hand scoop.

jmart
06-11-11, 10:01
Are you ladder testing?

JW5219
06-11-11, 11:26
What is the twist rate on that barrel? or did i miss that? I'd d try a slower burning powder with those heavier bullets too. Varget maybe.

GunnutAF
06-11-11, 13:12
The barrel maker sent you targets? So was it mounted on your rifle? If not they used a mounted test bed to shoot those groups which means ZERO to you and your rifle! You can't possibly shoot and hold that rifle a solid as a test bed! :rolleyes: As been stated already work up the load with each bullet type, wt. Every barrel is diferent and will work different with each type of bullet- I've found ove r the years the best accuacy is mostly likely to be found at a median velocity usually about a 100 fps from max with a given powder! For example with my '06 loads with any given bullet my best accuracy with two diefferent gun has been in the 2600-2700 fps range with bullet of 150 -180 gr wt's! With the .223/5.56mm 2900-3000 fps with 55-69gr !

markm
06-11-11, 15:07
Meter? Lol.

Premeasured hand scoop.

Same here. :(