PDA

View Full Version : EO Tech Failure and Their Response

Dave in NC
06-10-11, 12:22
On May 26th, I was shooting a few rounds with my S&W M&P15A to confirm my iron sight zero after finding the rear sight "loose" during a cleaning. I didn't think there would be a problem but I figured I needed to check.

I fired 3 rounds with irons only to the body of a B27 target, and for the heck of it thought I'd confirm the EO Tech's zero also. I fired 3 rounds with it to the head of the target. I made the rifle safe, cut the EO Tech off, went downrange, checked these rounds, and returned to fire again.

I fired the 3 rounds with irons only, then shifted to the EO Tech. I pressed the side button, but nothing happened. No reticle.

I pressed again. No reticle. I pressed harder. No reticle. Then I checked the sight, and found the square clear screen (NOT the front or back protective lenses, but apparently an internal "screen") had became dislodged and out of place.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n489/DavidnNC/EOTechIssues2011-05-26_15-50-24.jpg

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n489/DavidnNC/EOTechIssues2011-05-26_15-47-02.jpg

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n489/DavidnNC/EOTechIssues2011-05-26_15-45-39.jpg

There was absolutely no way to use the sight. I was admittedly disappointed as their nifty marketing shows them working even after taking bullets through the lenses. :(

There is no damage to mine, and no rough handling of the rifle. If not on a sling ON MY PERSON, it rides in a thickly padded case. The model is the 517 (I think) and it is at about the 1200 round mark.

So after I ranted and raved, I called a cell number for a regional rep Thursday evening the 26th and he answered but said they were closed for business (it was after 5:00; he said they were only there putting together a major last-minute package for Joplin Missouri responders).

He said it would be Tuesday 5/31 before I heard from anyone (due to the Memorial Day holiday) but I emailed my story Thursday evening anyway.

I DID-in spite of the holiday-get an email reply on Friday from a CS rep (Daniel Lelko) with an apology and an RMA number.

By the way-the next day, I talked with a special ops (MARSOC) Marine who said that in FIVE TOURS in Iraq, he'd never seen one break, and they mount them on M249s, M240s, and FIFTY CALIBER M2s!

The Marines can't break one in five tours of combat in Iraq while being shot at and attacked with IEDs/EFPs, but I can have one break shooting off a sandbag at the Sheriff's Range! :jester:

(This isn't new for me, I have a Nikon D300 camera which costs well over $1300 and it's currently "broke"-even though National Geographic carries them into the Arctic Circle and into live volcanoes; and I once bought a Colt Python revolver BRAND NEW IN THE BOX that jammed so bad in rookie school I had to send it back to Colt-TWICE! How many of you have ever had a revolver "jam"?)

On Tuesday 5/31 I heard from the CS manager (Michael Kroll) who confirmed the RMA and promised they would fix it. He said my problem was a "detached grating" caused by an assembly error.

I didn't get it to Staples (my UPS Shipping Center) until Saturday the 4th due to work and other issues, which meant it didn't go out until Monday 6-6. They received it on 6-8 and repaired it and turned it back around the same day, shipping it out that afternoon/evening Next Day Air at their expense. I received it today (6-10) at 11:15 AM, and it was back on the rifle at at 11:45 AM.

I have confirmed (for CQB level accuracy) the zero based on the co-witness of the irons. I will-at earliest convenience-confirm the zero by live fire.

So even though I was disappointed in the failure, EO Tech seems to have handled this exceptionally well.

From the time THEY received it, it was back out in a few hours, and back on my gun in 48 hours.

The longest wait was due to Memorial Day and MY usual procrastination! :lazy2:

So...as long as it doesn't fail me again...I have to give EO Tech credit for their service.

Dave in NC
06-10-11, 12:38
I should have added-

ANYTHING mechanical can fail!

Always run the BUIS "up" for immediate failsafe response to optics failure!

I was ingrained the latter in the last class I attended even though I had traditionally left it "down" so as not to "clutter" my view through the EO Tech. The instructor was "big" on this point and it "saved" me twice in the intense 3 day class when I simply forgot to turn it on when a drill commenced.

With the "failure" it would have "saved" me again! ;)

wahoo95
06-10-11, 12:48
We've seen several go down in local matches, however never seen the glass break like that. Glad to see they took care of you. I've never heard anything bad about the CS. What range is that you're shooting at?

SilentReaper66
06-10-11, 12:54
Cool Story! My next weapon will be for cqc and I was thinking very strongly of getting the new XPS-2 because of the 65 and 1 moa. Your story makes a strong case in me getting one now, thanks for sharing!

Breadman
06-10-11, 13:09
I have an eotech that is not on a "go to gun". Mine has never failed me, but I use it very little. I have seen them go tits up in training, classes and matches; usually from battery box, or just battery problems.
The only problem I have ever had was a broken mounting screw which they replaced free of charge even though I told them it was my fault. (This was back in the time that I liked to use red loctite:eek:!

Dave in NC
06-10-11, 15:19
We've seen several go down in local matches, however never seen the glass break like that. Glad to see they took care of you. I've never heard anything bad about the CS. What range is that you're shooting at?

This wasn't the outer glass-it was the "grating" that actually forms and projects the reticle onto the HUD... It normally rides well down inside the scope, epoxied to the body.

The range is the Burke County Sheriff's Office Range in NC. If any of you are also into GSSF competition, it is where the Table Rock Challenge GSSF Match is held. ;)

LiveFreeOrDie2111
06-11-11, 08:46
EOTECH has always honored replacements and warranty items in a case like this.

kmrtnsn
06-11-11, 11:05
Ours go down constantly. Usually for battery related issues (552's). Since our National Directors will not let us order the appropriate parts from Eotech to repair them we've been sending them back to HQ for repairs. I think they are getting annoyed but I hope they are getting the point.

HeavyDuty
06-11-11, 11:11
EOTECH has always honored replacements and warranty items in a case like this.

Did you read the OP?

Dave_M
06-11-11, 12:37
It happens. Heck, one of my friends got a bad TA11 out of the box a few years ago...

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-11-11, 12:57
Thats good they were able to fix it so fast. I ran around Afghanistan and Iraq with one and it always worked, I have one on my personal rifle now. I have never seen one break personaly but I have heard of it. I love the sight and have always prefered it to the aimpoint. Now if they can just make me a micro version......