PDA

View Full Version : Bolt-catch roll pin

greatblade
06-10-11, 14:29
Does it matter which side you install the bolt-catch roll pin? I've seen videos where one person taps it in from the left-side and another, where they tap it in from the right-side.

Thanks.

markm
06-10-11, 14:45
I've always tapped mine in from the rear (or right side).

Having a lower receiver block makes it easier...

I think Iraqgunz uses those handy Starett punches to get the pin started.

Blowby
06-10-11, 15:17
I tap it in from the rear as well (right side). Less chance of bouncing the punch off the magwell area that is protruded in the front (left). On removal just use caution. I have a LMT lower that someone beat up with the textured portion of the punch where you hold it. No big deal to me on cosmetic's and the price was right.

bigkracka
06-10-11, 16:03
Hmmm, I tap it from the left side, I'll try the right next time. I use a special punch from Brownell's http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26484/Product/BOLT_CATCH_PIN_PUNCH, makes it much easier.

Iraqgunz
06-10-11, 17:04
If you have never done it before I suggest using a piece of duct tape or similar and place it on the receiver in the event your punch should scuff it.

If you look at the receiver closely the best way is from the rear, due to protrusion of the magazine release from the front.

I use a roll pin starter punch first and gently tap it until flush. Then I put the spring, detent and bolt catch in place and gently tap it more until it grabs. Then using a standard punch I continue tapping until flush. Sometimes it will help to put a very small amount of lube on the pin before you start.

seb5
06-10-11, 17:35
Another right side guy. I use a roll pin starter, a bit of kroil, and a wooden "Q" tip inserted from the front to hold it all together while I'm tapping the roll pin in.

SomeOtherGuy
06-10-11, 20:41
Like most, I always insert them from the rear.

I use a roll pin starter punch first and gently tap it until flush. Then I put the spring, detent and bolt catch in place and gently tap it more until it grabs. Then using a standard punch I continue tapping until flush. Sometimes it will help to put a very small amount of lube on the pin before you start.

Is there a benefit to switching over to a standard punch for the last few taps?

Also, does putting oil on the rollpin have any effect on whether it stays in place?

and a wooden "Q" tip inserted from the front to hold it all together while I'm tapping the roll pin in.

I'm smacking myself for not thinking of that. It seems like it would make things a LOT easier. I'll give it a try next time.

Iraqgunz
06-11-11, 00:19
Starter punches are meant to start and not to drive it all the way in. The little lube just makes it easier to drive it in.

Like most, I always insert them from the rear.

Is there a benefit to switching over to a standard punch for the last few taps?

Also, does putting oil on the rollpin have any effect on whether it stays in place?

I'm smacking myself for not thinking of that. It seems like it would make things a LOT easier. I'll give it a try next time.