PDA

View Full Version : Eotech/aimpoint Question

Steve
08-13-06, 23:07
Ok guy's

I have to ask just in case, now this past weekend at a local match shooter procalimedhis EOtech was beter over the aimpoint for the reasons that it allowed more light and was better in low light condtions, and that was why while he was staioned in Iraq that more army units were taking them over the aimpoint for that reason?

i mean ok the window is a bit more open on the eotech but with both eyes open and white lights and nv gear is this an issue?

I mean i took it with a grain of salt cause his next comment to us was that he never replaced his AA batts in 2 years in the sandbox so i really am nto to sure about that whole thing

anbody have other input, i have trained in low light with both units and never felt hamperd by either or

Robb Jensen
08-14-06, 05:44
The US Military is using both. They are both good optics. I prefer Eotechs as I'm slightly faster with them. I also like the 1MOA dot in the center of the Eotech reticle. I was able to hit the small (about 9") piece of steel at Blackwater at 300yds with my 11.5" SBR with my forward mounted 552 about 8 of 10 shots.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/1fc5f20c.jpg

If I were in the sandbox I would probably use Aimpoints (I own 2 Aimpoints and 2 Eotechs). Since owning Aimpoints (2yrs) I've never had to replace a battery yet. 10-50,000hrs of battery life of the Aimpoint would be a plus in a hard to get battery place like Afghanistan or Iraq. I've gone through a lot of Eotech batteries.

Even though the Aimpoint has either a 2MOA or 4MOA dot and the Eotech has a 1MOA, neither is really made to be a precision optic. I think the Aimpoint is a bit more rugged unit as well. YMMV.

Currently I'm using an Aimpoint on my other SBR (14.5 LMT), it's does well but I want to mount an Aimpoint magnifier behind it in the future.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/36cf82ce.jpg

C4IGrant
08-14-06, 08:27
The Aimpoint and EOTech are both excellent optics for sure. I personally like the EOTech over the Aimpoint as I believe that I do get more FOV and is clearer. I also really like the new EOTech 552.D1 as it seems EVEN brighter than the standard reticle.

C4

Steve
08-14-06, 08:32
Yes, i understand all that, i guess i was a little off in my post this guy flat out said said( and i dont know why i even addressed it) that the Eotech was preferred cause it lets in more light

Jesh what was i thinking even asking that question. and i know better i really do ...

EXCUSE ME while i go LICK the school bus WINDOW

C4IGrant
08-14-06, 08:39
Yes, i understand all that, i guess i was a little off in my post this guy flat out said said( and i dont know why i even addressed it) that the Eotech was preferred cause it lets in more light

Jesh what was i thinking even asking that question. and i know better i really do ...

EXCUSE ME while i go LICK the school bus WINDOW

As you know, personal Pref. is everything. So if they like the EOTech over the Aimpoint (for whatever reason) then that is true.

C4

Steve
08-14-06, 20:01
Your 100% Correct, i have been geting alot of time on the Eo again as several of my students have them........

Manx
08-19-06, 18:18
All the lenses in the EOTech are clear, flat glass. The light transmission quality is much better in the EOTech than the Aimpoint. The wider FOV of the EOTech, the shorter optical body and clear glass windows means a brighter-clearer image of the target scene.

The Aimpoint has a partially-mirrored front lens that blocks out a good portion of the visible light spectrum. You might notice that it has a slight bluish tint when looking through it. The narrower and longer tube shape of the Aimpoint do not help matters.

There is no doubt the EOTech has a brighter image and better light transmission. The Aimpoint is not terrible, just not as bright. The EOTech will have a slight edge in low light encounters. Some users might not notice the difference.

Disclaimer - I work for EOTech, but that don't mean I ain't tellin' the truth.

Hoplophile
08-19-06, 18:59
Everything that Manx says is true, but I don't see how any of it matters. These are both zero magnification optics, not scopes. FOV and light transmission don't mean jack when you have both eyes open. You can completely block the front of either sight and they'll still work fine so I don't see where light transmission makes a difference.

The EOtech has a much smaller 'ring' around the reticle area so the reticle seems more like it is floating in front of your eyes. I've heard that the larger window and smaller ring make it easier to use with NV gear but I have no experience in that area.

The Aimpoint is smaller so you have more mounting options. I also find that the knob on the Aimpoint make it faster to turn on and to adjust than the buttons on the EOtech.

M193 BALL
08-25-06, 21:44
I have a 551 eotech and a ML2 aimpoint
Both are great
I dont think I shot one faster than the other
If I had to pick only 1 then I would go with aimpoint

BTW

I find most guys at the range dont understand how the sights above WORK?
most shut the left eye

once I shut the lid on my ML2 then there light goes off