PDA

View Full Version : FNP 45 Tactical review

orkan
06-10-11, 16:35
http://www.primalrights.com/forum/review.php?a=3129

Just finished writing up a review on the FNP 45 Tactical. Heck of a nice handgun. Any of you shooting these?

I've got 600rnds+ through this one so far with no malfunctions of any kind. It's a joy to shoot. Now I just can't wait until my form 4 gets back!!!

Those of you shooting these... would you buy another one or recommend it to friends?

Seraph
06-10-11, 17:54
Nice review!

mvician
06-10-11, 22:48
Great review :cool:

Mauser KAR98K
06-11-11, 23:38
How does it feel, say , with someone who has medium sized hands (guitars hands)?

eightmillimeter
06-12-11, 00:25
Great review! Makes me kind of want to buy an RMR more than anything else, not like I already wanted the 45 already though...

longball
06-12-11, 20:08
Thanks for the review. Please keep us updated as you continue to put rounds through it.

orkan
06-13-11, 12:38
Got another hundred or so through it this weekend. No problems to report. Stupid fun to shoot with that RMR on there. :)

I told Scott @ liberty optics to make sure he keeps a few around, because I'll likely be getting more.

ARonBoard
06-13-11, 16:43
That thing is sweet, well done!

HK45
06-18-11, 10:54
Great review. I like big 45's of all kinds. I've thought about the FNP but the Gen 4 Glock 21 would probably be my first choice in a new .45.

orkan
06-20-11, 10:36
What would that glock cost to get setup as a suppressor host?

markm
10-12-11, 11:24
I got to shoot one of these Saturday. I love this gun. I was toying with the notion of it before I bought my M&P 45, and I picked the wrong gun.

The FNP isn't any more expensive either. :rolleyes:

This will be my next 45 for sure.

jc000
10-12-11, 12:13
I'm in the market for a pistol, more recently for a semi-auto. This gun looks awesome--really makes me consider the .45 due to it's high mag capacity.

Hope to get a chance to test this at the range soon!

markm
10-12-11, 12:39
The grip is amazing. Hard to believe there's 14 or 15 rounds of 45 inside. I just hopped on it and started shooting it really well.

Unlike the M&P where I had to take a month of focused effort to get good with it.

orkan
10-12-11, 12:50
Yup, it truly is the king of tactical 45's. 15+1 capacity. The only people that don't know this... are in denial.

Now if my friggin AAC TiRant would clear ATF... I'd be happier. ATF is such bullshit.

markm
10-12-11, 13:04
Pappa has that TiRant. Holy Smokes is that a cool can!!!

His is on an HK45. Hearing safe, and No POI shift at all. After shooting Gemtech's trash, the TiRant is jaw droppingly impressive.

Alan Williams
10-12-11, 22:16
Love my FNP-45 Tac! Over 1000 rds through without any issues. Currently using a Gemtech Blackside to keep her a little quieter. Only complaint is the extra powder filth when running the suppressor (but worth it.) Added the Hogue slip-on grip this summer to help deal with sweaty hands. I have medium sized hands and am using the thinnest backstrap to get a good grip. Just got a new Bladetech that accommodates the Insight M3 too. One of my favorite handguns.
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc422/FNHFaN/FNP45Tactical.jpg

trinydex
10-13-11, 15:32
so often i wonder why the fnp/fnx never took off. it's got all the qualities of a perfect handgun.

adjustable backstraps without the presence of finger grooves on a polymer lower (customizable for those with more particular tastes)

it's got ambidextrous everything. slide stops in the right place. a manual safety. a hammer. a normal light rail.

why didn't this gun ever "make it?"

markm
10-13-11, 16:01
why didn't this gun ever "make it?"

It's going to make it in my hands this year. I assumed it'd be a $900 pistol and never gave it a second look.

I think the external hammer probably steers the striker fired simpletons away. I have to admit to being guilty of this to a degree myself.

maximus83
10-13-11, 18:44
Unlike the M&P where I had to take a month of focused effort to get good with it.

Would like to hear more on why you adapted quicker to the FN than the M&P. Trigger issues? Something else?

Javelin
10-13-11, 18:46
Love my FNP-45 Tac! Over 1000 rds through without any issues. Currently using a Gemtech Blackside to keep her a little quieter. Only complaint is the extra powder filth when running the suppressor (but worth it.) Added the Hogue slip-on grip this summer to help deal with sweaty hands. I have medium sized hands and am using the thinnest backstrap to get a good grip. Just got a new Bladetech that accommodates the Insight M3 too. One of my favorite handguns.
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc422/FNHFaN/FNP45Tactical.jpg

Beautiful gun. :eek:

markm
10-14-11, 08:35
Would like to hear more on why you adapted quicker to the FN than the M&P. Trigger issues? Something else?

The trigger was absolutely horrible. Then I bought the sear thingy which didn't work.... it was before they had the dedicated 45 sear.

I finally got to where I could shoot it well.... It made me a better pistol shooter.

maximus83
10-14-11, 11:36
The trigger was absolutely horrible. Then I bought the sear thingy which didn't work.... it was before they had the dedicated 45 sear.

I finally got to where I could shoot it well.... It made me a better pistol shooter.

Yeah, I was interested in the fact also that you found the FNP was easier to shoot better right out of the box. I've test-fired the FNP 45, also now the FNX 9 using rental units at my range, and I liked the triggers on both better than factory triggers on my M&P 9's and my one M&P 45. Though I'm already somewhat invested in the M&P platform, I've had a continuing interest in the FN hammer-fired pistols and do think their FACTORY triggers seem better out of the box.

Roodoodog
10-14-11, 13:04
Thanks, nice review.

doodi1
10-14-11, 16:34
Great review. I bought my FNP 45 Tactical 45 days ago. Saving up for a Trijicon RMR. Love the gun. Accurate and real fun to shoot.

Miusk544
04-25-12, 21:58
I bought mine about a month ago I filed Down the plastic around the slide release and it's much better waiting for the ATF on my osprey..
I love this gun. Have about 2000 rds thru it only problem is the mags get gunked up and start to jam a little but gun is flawless. Great review.

WillBrink
12-02-12, 14:48
Is the FNP starting to get some love from the BTDT types? I have a FNP .45 on loan from a buddy at the moment. Wanted it mostly to see how I like the RMR.

I admit I generally dislike DA/SA guns. I do best with a consistent trigger pull be it SA or DA but not both. Am I unique in that?

I'm sure with practice I could make it work, but just never liked the set up if given the choice. Seems to me the FN is not on the short list as is the M&P, Glock, HK, etc. is for hard use SD/duty/combat pistols.

Seems a quality handgun for the $$$, decent ergos, RMR cut already there, etc. and FN generally known for solid quality.

Is there some issue that prevents it from being listed on with other top tier choices I'm not aware of? Seems a lot of love for it in this thread.

Freakdaddy
12-02-12, 19:47
I do best with a consistent trigger pull be it SA or DA but not both. Am I unique in that?

No, not at all. I have the Browning Pro-9 which was made by FN and identical to the FN-9 with the difference being you could have it C&L like a 1911. My problem is that I'm so used to riding the safety on the 1911 that I found myself inadvertantly decocking the pistol while shooting it and would get thrown off when expecting a SA pull but getting a DA pull instead. I know it's only an issue with me and my technique but if it has a safety lever on it, I do like riding it...plain and simple. Transitioning from the first shot being in DA (fairly heavy pull on mine) to SA, I also found the first SA shot would a little wild as most often, it would go off unexpected. Once again, better familiarity with the gun would most likely absolve this but in a stressful situation, for me personally I'd rather have consistancy which is why I carry my 1911 or M&P. These FNs are great guns...reliable, accurate, nice SA triggers and good ergonomics at a great price point. As much as I want to get an FNP-45 Tactical as I know the quality and aforementioned features I'll be getting, I also have to realize and come to tems that like WillBrink, I'm more comfortable with either a straight SA or DA and not a combination of both. Too bad as I really like that Tactical version...VERY cool gun!

nalabama
12-03-12, 03:06
FN was slow to respond to complaints of failures to feed/load in early non-FNP45 Tactical models, most of which involved Winchester white box ammo that exceeded industry overall length specs. FN tweaked their magazines to provide a little more space, but don't seem too interested in producing them in sufficient quantities to either satisfy the demand or keep the prices low. Availability last time I checked was April 2013, and internet rumors are floating around that FN no longer intends to provide additional quantities. Prices a month ago were around $50± per, and the only online source that claimed to have them actually in stock was rated F by the Better Business Bureau. I've given up: bought a used Gen 3 Glock 21 last month and will buy it a running mate soon.

El Pistolero
12-03-12, 03:55
Been looking at these myself. I've been wanting another .45 that is less maintenance intensive than my 1911, and my top two contenders are an older West German Sig P220 or the FNP-45. Capacity isn't an issue for me but it's hard to ignore the capacity of the FN and I've seen a couple used ones going for $475 and that has me leaning towards the FN. I'd like to feel the grip before I bought one though, I'm not sure how a double-stack .45 would fit me.

markm
12-03-12, 07:25
I'd like to feel the grip before I bought one though, I'm not sure how a double-stack .45 would fit me.

It feels a lot smaller than the Regular frame Glock 45acp. I'd still like to get my hands on one of these.

ryr8828
12-03-12, 07:35
Love my fnp .45 and started drooling when I saw the rmr in this thread.

Unfortunately it seems only the tactical model comes ready to mount the rmr, mine is not a tactical.

BrigandTwoFour
12-03-12, 09:18
I convinced a friend to buy one of these a bit over a year ago. When I took him to the range to learn to shoot (it was his first gun). Right out of the box, I put a ragged 5 shot hole through the bullseye of a dirty bird target. I have never done that with any pistol, ever, without lots of range time for practice.

I was convinced that I would pick up an FNX-45, but concerns about not being able to easily CCW such a large pistol won out. Everything I owned up to that point was full size duty pistols. I picked up an FNS-9 earlier this year, which I have been absolutely thrilled with.

If I get another pistol, it will probably be the FNX-45 (which is the updated version of the FNP).

WillBrink
12-03-12, 11:18
I convinced a friend to buy one of these a bit over a year ago. When I took him to the range to learn to shoot (it was his first gun). Right out of the box, I put a ragged 5 shot hole through the bullseye of a dirty bird target. I have never done that with any pistol, ever, without lots of range time for practice.

I was convinced that I would pick up an FNX-45, but concerns about not being able to easily CCW such a large pistol won out. Everything I owned up to that point was full size duty pistols. I picked up an FNS-9 earlier this year, which I have been absolutely thrilled with.

If I get another pistol, it will probably be the FNX-45 (which is the updated version of the FNP).

What changes were made?

BrigandTwoFour
12-03-12, 15:14
What changes were made?

AFIK

The FNX-45 is pretty much the same thing as the FNP-45 Tactical being talked about in this thread.

However, the FNP-45 Tactical and USG models that were submitted to the military pistol trials made several changes from the original FNP design. The updated FNPs have different a safety/decocker, deep V rear sight, different polymer decocker, checkered grips, flat top slide, forward slide serrations, and fully ambidextrous safety/decocker and slide release. I think there is also a little bit more support under the chamber, which necessitated a slightly different magazine design.

I think FN liked the changes they in the USG/Tactical models, so they then incorporated it into the 9mm FNP series, and renamed it the FNX-9. The FNX-9 and the FNP-45 USG/Tactical models were produced at the same time for a while. FN then later dropped the FNP moniker and now use the FNX-45 name to show some distinction between the earliest design and the updated design.

Basically, not a whole lot has changed except for some added ambi capability. The FNP is still a great pistol, and if you get a USG or Tactical model like the ones in this thread, it will pretty much be identical to the "New" FNX line.

mdoan300
12-03-12, 20:20
What changes were made?

I believe FNX-45 mags are not compatible with the FNP-45. Which brings up a bummer about the FNP-45 -- finding FNP-45 mags (esp. 15rd mags) is like trying to find a unicorn. When they come out of backorder, order them before they go out of stock again.

Also, there are some concerns about the unsupported chamber on the FNP-45. There has been at least a couple of kB! posted on fnforum.net. Mine has been great and I have no worries about the chamber.

paperchasin
12-03-12, 20:34
Great review....nice gun!

El Pistolero
12-03-12, 20:49
Also, there are some concerns about the unsupported chamber on the FNP-45. There has been at least a couple of kB! posted on fnforum.net. Mine has been great and I have no worries about the chamber.

Is this a real issue? I mean KBs can happen to any gun and the .45 ACP is a low-pressure round so normally I wouldn't be concerned but does anyone have any more info on this? And maybe pics of the unsupported chamber?

mdoan300
12-03-12, 21:00
Is this a real issue? I mean KBs can happen to any gun and the .45 ACP is a low-pressure round so normally I wouldn't be concerned but does anyone have any more info on this? And maybe pics of the unsupported chamber?

I don't think it is and I'm not at all worried. I commented on it for sake of full disclosure.

unsupported chamber thread: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnp/23854-check-out-unsupported-chamber-fnp-45-a.html

kaboom: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnp/29389-how-many-fnp-45-kabooms-do-you-know.html

kaboom: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnp/30208-my-fnp-45-blew-up-w-pics.html

kaboom: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnp/28902-well-i-had-kaboom-my-new-fmp-45-a.html

case bulging: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnp/8424-fnp-45-bulged-cases.html

FAB45
12-03-12, 21:16
Great review! I have some trigger time behind one of these, great capacity for a .45, I like the way it handles as well. However, for a modern pistol (1911's aside) I still prefer striker-fired by a long shot.

El Pistolero
12-03-12, 21:51
I don't think it is and I'm not at all worried. I commented on it for sake of full disclosure.

unsupported chamber thread: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnp/23854-check-out-unsupported-chamber-fnp-45-a.html

kaboom: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnp/29389-how-many-fnp-45-kabooms-do-you-know.html

kaboom: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnp/30208-my-fnp-45-blew-up-w-pics.html

kaboom: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnp/28902-well-i-had-kaboom-my-new-fmp-45-a.html

case bulging: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnp/8424-fnp-45-bulged-cases.html

Great, thanks!

orkan
12-03-12, 23:12
Unsupported chamber problem huh? If you say so.

Lots of handguns have that style of chamber.

Hasn't stopped me from running nearly 3000 rnds through this particular handgun, mostly suppressed. Since that review, I have yet to have a single malfunction. People can say what they want about that handgun, my opinion in the review stands. I've shot a great many coons, skunks, badgers, and other vermin with that thing. I run a tirant 45 suppressor, and it simply puts the smack on critters.

oef24
12-04-12, 00:18
I had an FNP-45 Tactical and had no problems with it. I traded it in with the anticipation of the FNX-45 Tactical. I did not want any problems with finding mags for the FNP.
I just heard from FNH USA today that they plan on releasing the FNX-45 Tactical at the end of this year and expect it to be available mid January 2013. From what I have heard, the FNP-45 mags will not work in the FNX-45 and vice versa.

O

iveschrhis
12-04-12, 13:52
I have an FNP45 and have an FNX45 on order. Took the former into the LGS that had an FNX45 in stock, also bringing in several FNP mags and some snap caps. After the manager checked my firearm and the mags for safety's sake, we charged up mags for each and checked both types of mags in each firearm. The FNX mags required a little bit more deliberation in seating them into the FNP magwell/frame with no discernible/visual difference in dimensions. Both mags fed snap caps and they extracted from both pistols; both types of mags locked the slide back on each pistol.
I'll know soon enough how much interoperability there is.
OBTW, the FNX doesn't come with night sights like my FNP did.

B Cart
12-04-12, 14:36
My brother has the FNP-45 Tactical and we currently have close to 2,000 rounds through it. We run a Silencerco Opsprey suppressor on it most of the time and it is a dream to shoot and very accurate.

This gun is by far my favorite .45 out right now, and you gotta love the 15+1 capacity!