PDA

View Full Version : Magpul's, Ranger plates, or nothing on mags?

watchluvr4ever
10-16-07, 18:10
I'm just wondering what the consensus is here. From looking at peoples pics It seems many people do prefer the Ranger plates or Magpul's but is this just because it makes the mags look "tacticool" or is there really an advantage to them. Pat if you read this I would like to know your opinion please. Thanks!

R1pper
10-16-07, 18:15
I dont really care about being tacticool so I went this route (plus it was really cheap) http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6184 I just needed something to make aquisition of my mags from my vest faster.

Shihan
10-16-07, 18:17
The Magpuls serve a couple of real purposed besides looking cool. My main reasons is that it protects the mags when they are dropped like in doing a speed reload and it helps with grip

10-16-07, 18:32
They provide a nice tactile index point to use when manipulating mags, as the rigid loop gives you a consistent reference. They make retrieving mags from a pouch a lot more positive and fumble-free, for me.

As I bonus, they're nice to have when using my cheap M23 chest rig (russian mag carrier designed for the '74), because the pouches are too deep, and swallow AR mags whole. Most people would just get a dedicated AR chest rig, but I like the fact that the magpul allows me to use it for both AK and AR (saves money for more ammo).

ETA: they are also nice to have for retaining a partially empty mag duting a reload.

Stickman
10-16-07, 18:32
I'm just wondering what the consensus is here.

My opinion is based off what I do for a living, which may or may not be any help to you. Without knowing what you are looking to do, its a guessing game.

C4IGrant
10-16-07, 19:13
I personally love them and use them on all my mags. They make it easier for pulling mags out of a pouch and give you a little elevation when shooting prone.

C4

Patrick Aherne
10-16-07, 19:23
I have Ranger plates on a number of mags. They make it much easier to get the mag out of a pouch when wearing gloves. The original magpuls will sometimes hold the spring in when the tabs that hold onthe floorplate break, allowing the mag to continue functioning. They also cushion the mag when you drop it, reducing the likelihood of the tabs breaking.

Gibbles
10-16-07, 19:43
I personally love them and use them on all my mags. They make it easier for pulling mags out of a pouch and give you a little elevation when shooting prone.

C4

+1
and when I let my mags drop free they have a little bumper to land on.
It also helps me when inserting into the rifle, it also gave me a handle to grab on when I had a double feed and the mag was stuck in the rifle.
I think they are a great product.

Jay Cunningham
10-16-07, 20:12
For me, they are "nice to have" on AR magazines but "must have" on AK magazines.

rob_s
10-16-07, 20:12
I like the Ranger plates and put them on all my mags except those I use on the static range. I actually use the loop to pull them out of my chest rig when doing reloads.

On a side note, what's with all the posts lately from people that don't "get" a particular piece of gear that immediately jump to "so it must just be for poseurs"?

10-16-07, 20:32
The original magpuls will sometimes hold the spring in when the tabs that hold onthe floorplate break, allowing the mag to continue functioning.

Interesting...I never considered that.

Pat_Rogers
10-16-07, 20:37
I like MagPuls for two reasons.
First is that they protect the magazine from damage when (not if) they are dropped.
Secondly, they make withdrawing the magazine from the mag pouch easier, especially when wearing a chest rig/ PC/ armor.

The Ranger plate will do the first, but maybe not the second as well. I'd prefer to have the Magpuls on all of my AR magazines, but that may take a while.

FWIW- the PMAG's seem less prone to damage then the aluminum (and especially the hk mags:mad: ) and the lower lip of the mag is easier to grab then an aluminum mag.

DocGKR
10-16-07, 20:46
I like the original type magpuls, not the ranger plates. I turn them 90 degrees from normal, so there is no loop. I still get a good grip, the mag base plate is well protected, and it helps resist slipping when using the mag as a monopod on slicker surfaces and things like car hoods/trunks.

Mike91A
10-16-07, 20:47
I use L plates on milspec mags and magpuls on HK mags.

Joseywales
10-16-07, 20:48
Here is why I like them:

1. Cushions mag when dropped on bottom corners

2. When I am doing rapid reloads, I do not have to look at the mag to put it in the proper position

3. I can tell the difference between my mags and other people's mags at the range

4. When I clean my mags, I have something to hold on to when I dip them into Hoppes or other cleaners

Patrick Aherne
10-16-07, 21:08
Here is why I like them:

4. When I clean my mags, I have something to hold on to when I dip them into Hoppes or other cleaners

Slightly OT: Why do you put anything like Hoppe's on your mags?

FWIW, I clean my mags with one of those mag cleaning brushes and blow them out with compressed air. I never put anything in there that can attract dust/dirt. If I have problems with the mag that a brushing and blow-out with air won't fix, it gets sh!tcanned and I buy another.

Don Robison
10-16-07, 21:14
I'm still using 550 chord loops. I've got nothing against the Magpuls or Ranger plates, I just haven't decided to switch what's been working for me for years.

Rmplstlskn
10-16-07, 21:35
FWIW- the PMAG's seem less prone to damage then the aluminum (and especially the hk mags:mad: ) and the lower lip of the mag is easier to grab then an aluminum mag.

The Magpuls also slip on VERY, VERY securely on the PMAG due to the floorplate design, but having them above the "hump" does make the loop smaller... They're not coming off easily though...

I used 550 paracord on lots of my FAL mags... I took out the inner strands and ran a section of plastic zip tie through the tube to give it a firm loop structure. I then split duct tape in half and taped the 550 cord to the mag, overlapping the 550 cord like folding a book. It is very secure and dirt cheap... but takes a bit of time. Plus, the 550 cord loop with plastic insert allows a very fast clip point to hang a used/empty mag using a carabiner.

The .308 Magpuls seem to slide too easily on an FAL mag...

Rmpl

Gibbles
10-16-07, 21:43
Slightly OT: Why do you put anything like Hoppe's on your mags?

FWIW, I clean my mags with one of those mag cleaning brushes and blow them out with compressed air. I never put anything in there that can attract dust/dirt. If I have problems with the mag that a brushing and blow-out with air won't fix, it gets sh!tcanned and I buy another.

I use Wal-mart fish tank brushes (round) with simple green, the kitchen isle has some nice brushes that will work too :D
and K&N filter cleaner does wonders on carbon! I have also used the stuff to remove oil spots on my driveway... :cool:

Lumpy196
10-16-07, 22:16
I like the Rangers, but then again Im also REALLY partial to L-plates and para-cord. ;)

Eric
10-16-07, 22:59
For me, the original Magpul works well. Extra grip and aids in protecting the mag as it hits the ground.

watchluvr4ever
10-16-07, 23:00
[QUOTE=rob_s;86149On a side note, what's with all the posts lately from people that don't "get" a particular piece of gear that immediately jump to "so it must just be for poseurs"?[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry if I came across that way, I was just wondering what the advantages were. I bought a bunch of magpul's for my mags a while back and I personally don't see much advantage when doing reloads so I thought they must be good for something. :o

Shihan
10-16-07, 23:31
I like the original type magpuls, not the ranger plates. I turn them 90 degrees from normal, so there is no loop. I still get a good grip, the mag base plate is well protected,.

Got a pic.

Pat_Rogers
10-17-07, 03:15
It is in that little manual that comes with each of those 3 Pak/ Manuals.
That has been the way the majority of people have been carrying them for oh, 3-5 years now.

Jay Cunningham
10-17-07, 03:30
I'm sorry if I came across that way, I was just wondering what the advantages were. I bought a bunch of magpul's for my mags a while back and I personally don't see much advantage when doing reloads so I thought they must be good for something. :o

Have you had a chance to attend formal training yet?

Shihan
10-17-07, 04:13
It is in that little manual that comes with each of those 3 Pak/ Manuals.
That has been the way the majority of people have been carrying them for oh, 3-5 years now.

Pat your a funny guy tonight/this morning, I didnt realize that was what he was talking about. I thought he invented some new super duper way of using them with the strap to the side and not reversed.

Pat_Rogers
10-17-07, 05:08
Nah, that's just my dry, caustic Irish wit.......
Some people mistake it for humor, and others for being obnoxious.

watchluvr4ever
10-17-07, 07:30
Have you had a chance to attend formal training yet?

What's formal training have to do with this? I'll admit I'm fairly new to the AR platform but it isn't rocket science to eject a mag and put a new one in. I started this thread to gain information and If you have a better way of doing things I would like to hear them.

KevinB
10-17-07, 08:13
What's formal training have to do with this? I'll admit I'm fairly new to the AR platform but it isn't rocket science to eject a mag and put a new one in. I started this thread to gain information and If you have a better way of doing things I would like to hear them.

Dude - a lot of us have been playing the game for 20 years (or more in some cases). I did not get into Magpuls till around y2k - and found out what I had been missing (and why some buddies thought I was dumb, like the redi-mag).

Running, scared, wearing kit, taking fire etc, not a good time to have a tough time to get a mag - index it - and insert it -- all these things the magpuls make easier.

it may have zero benifit for the hobby shooter - but it does help those who use their weapons as weapons.

John_Wayne777
10-17-07, 08:18

He's asking you about formal training because exposure to it helps answer lots of questions about gear choices.

Once you've busted some feed lips by dropping a magazine and flubbed a couple of reloads during training because you couldn't get the bloody magazine out of the bloody pouch, items like the Magpul start to look pretty darned attractive. On a square range that may seem like no big deal, but in a place where you have some members of the merry martyr brigades coming to kill you, the little things start to matter. Stuff that isn't "rocket science" when all is quiet suddenly takes on a whole new level of difficulty when you may die if you screw them up.

I have Ranger plates on some of my magazines and they do help in a number of areas including when you have to get into an awkward half-prone, half kneeling position. The rubber of the Magpul can help you get a decent enough grip on a surface so you can use the magazine as a field expedient monopod to help with accuracy.

Do you *need* magpuls? No. Do they have some uses that might make your life easier and perhaps in some extreme cases make your life longer? Yes.

...and that is the case with lots of gear choices you will see out there.

Pat_Rogers
10-17-07, 08:26
Nope- it isn't rocket science. However, when "excited", scared, hungry, tired etc, simple things succumb to a friction that becomes glaringly evident.
The reason why formal training is important. It is to ensure that certain skill sets are deeply imbedded in the brain housing group.
Most people can shoot. Most people can't fight. Very few can manipulate properly.

The magpul should be standard on all mags. 550 cord etc was nice in the disco era, but does nothing to protect the magazine.

Hope this helps.

John_Wayne777
10-17-07, 08:33
The magpul should be standard on all mags. 550 cord etc was nice in the disco era, but does nothing to protect the magazine.

Next he's going to try and tell us that using giant hose clamps to affix a Mag-Lite to our weapons is out....

:D

Pat_Rogers
10-17-07, 08:36
Oh boy- i remember those days well...........

tiger seven
10-17-07, 09:06
Next he's going to try and tell us that using giant hose clamps to affix a Mag-Lite to our weapons is out....

:D

That always reminds me of "The Omega Man" when Heston had that flashlight clamped on his S&W M76. That's the first time I can recall ever seeing a light mounted on a gun. Great stuff... :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/zulu15/omega_l.jpg

Off topic, but does anyone know (historically speaking) when flashlights were first mounted on guns? I've always kind of wondered.

Derek

rob_s
10-17-07, 09:12

Maybe one thing that needs clearing up is that the Magpul isn't there to help get the mag out of the gun (although it can be used for that), but to help get the mag out of whatever device you're using to carry it.

The original Magpuls, and the 550 cord field expedient they were designed after, were created when GIs were still using the old ALICE triple mag pouches that completely swallow an AR mag. Having a loop to grab onto when you opened that pouch greatly improved the ability to quickly retrieve a magazine.

The original Magpuls could have a tendency to stick together a bit on the sides because of the rubber around the base. The Ranger plates were developed as a response to this. Coincidentally they are also turned 90 degrees from the way the Magpuls were designed to be installed as many people had taken to rotating them.

Either way, if they do nothing for you, don't use them. If you carry your reload on the support side of your belt and use a "beer can" grip to reload, they likely don't do much of anything for you. Even then, you may find that they aid in malfunction clearing, magazine retention, and tactical reloads. You likely will never encounter any of the above uses if you don't "run-n-gun" or attend a training class. If all of your reloads are done from the bench then a Magpul, or even the old 550 cord expedient, is probably useless to you.

The suggestion to "get some training" was a short way of saying all of the above.

HolyRoller
10-17-07, 10:50
One more reason to like Magpuls is they seem to help when using the mag as a monopod when firing from prone. The bottom rear corner of the mag is fine on grass and soft dirt, but on harder surfaces or shooting mats, Magpuls give a little friction. I have them on all my mags except the ones for highpower competition, where Magpuls aren't allowed on service rifle magazines.

About the HK mags, I have one, which I got on LAV's recommendation last year, before he or anybody knew about the durability issues--we are all still learning and LAV has posted here that he can no longer recommend them because we now know differently. The only advantage I see to the HK mag is the slightly longer length that gets me just a little bit higher in prone. And of course HK mags have wonderful fit and finish. Anybody want to buy it?

watchluvr4ever
10-17-07, 13:46
I now realize more of the advantages to these mag devices. I wasn't trying to say that they were useless, just that from my limited experience I didn't see much advantage. I do plan on getting some proper training in the very near future and again I appreciate those who have shared their knowledge with me.

nationwide
10-17-07, 13:49
I now realize more of the advantages to these mag devices. I wasn't trying to say that they were useless, just that from my limited experience I didn't see much advantage. I do plan on getting some proper training in the very near future and again I appreciate those who have shared their knowledge with me.

Hey, it's all about finding out what works for your situation... and then training with it like a mofo!!! :)

JLM
10-18-07, 19:36
Got a pic.

Thusly:

http://i21.tinypic.com/2rc35o6.jpg

Shihan
10-18-07, 20:01
Thusly:

http://i21.tinypic.com/2rc35o6.jpg

Thanks, I figured out what he was talking about aftr Pats response. When the poster said he installed them 90degrees I was trying to figureout how he but them on sideways lol

Don Robison
10-18-07, 20:21
When the poster said he installed them 90degrees I was trying to figureout how he but them on sideways lol

Stapler:D :D :D

Heavy Metal
10-18-07, 20:45
Nah, that's just my dry, caustic Irish wit.......
Some people mistake it for humor, and others for being obnoxious.

One looking for a cheap pun might also refer to it as a 'SNARK ATTACK'!:D

Shihan
10-18-07, 22:54
Stapler:D :D :D

LOL that would be the Po Mans Magpul. Staple a piece of innertube to a Pmag:D

toddackerman
10-19-07, 08:25
I also like both the MagPul and Ranger plates to assure a good grip, index properly, and protect the bottom of the mag on a speed re-load.

I also like the fact that on a tactical re-load you can use your little finger on the expended mag to secure the mag from falling to the ground when releasing it, and letting it swing down and away on the little finger while inserting a new mag in the weapon with the remainder of the digits securely wrapped around the fresh mag body. After insertion the expended mag is easily put into the dump pouch or other means of stowage.

This probably doesn't work well with gloves, because the loop on both the MagPul and Ranger Plates are too small to accommodate a gloved little finger, but it does work well with a bare hand.

Just my observation through my training. This technique has probably been covered in formal trainings, although I've never seen it in print. Interested if others believe it is a viable technique, and no, I haven't had the chance to go to school yet, but I'm working on it.

Tack

Shihan
10-19-07, 19:24
I also like both the MagPul and Ranger plates to assure a good grip, index properly, and protect the bottom of the mag on a speed re-load.

I also like the fact that on a tactical re-load you can use your little finger on the expended mag to secure the mag from falling to the ground when releasing it, and letting it swing down and away on the little finger while inserting a new mag in the weapon with the remainder of the digits securely wrapped around the fresh mag body. After insertion the expended mag is easily put into the dump pouch or other means of stowage.

This probably doesn't work well with gloves, because the loop on both the MagPul and Ranger Plates are too small to accommodate a gloved little finger, but it does work well with a bare hand.

Just my observation through my training. This technique has probably been covered in formal trainings, although I've never seen it in print. Interested if others believe it is a viable technique, and no, I haven't had the chance to go to school yet, but I'm working on it.

Tack

The Magpuls are alot less slippery than a plain mag when im wearing gloves even without being able to use the loop.