PDA

View Full Version : Bolt-Open Safety Engagement Issue

kevN
06-10-11, 22:56
I have a new complete daniel defense lower. Upon receiving the lower, I installed a Tangodown BG-16 battle grip.

I just noticed that on either my BCM upper, or my DDM4 upper this lower cannot engage the safety (either moving from safe to fire or fire to safe) with the bolt locked to the rear.

I have another DD complete lower which I installed a TD BG-16 in & a Geissel SSA-E which does not have this issue.

I have installed a different Safety detent, safety spring, and grip on this lower without resolving the issue. My next step is to change the trigger group and safety but I wanted to reach out to see if anyone else has encountered this and knows where I might have gone wrong.

Any thoughts?

GTifosi
06-10-11, 23:16
Have you tried a different selector lever all together?

What type hammer do you have in there and does it bump up against the selector lever when rolled back as far as a locked back carrier would do?

Duffy
06-10-11, 23:21
Trigger will be my guess. When the rear extension of the trigger is making too much contact with the selector center and binding it, it stops it from being rotated.

What kind of trigger is in the new lower?

Ghost__1
06-10-11, 23:23
I dont know for sure but the only thing that I can think of is that it is your actual trigger group. Something seems out of tolerance along the process. IE your bolt being back is pushing your hammer down enough to cause it or your trigger to block the safety from turning. The trigger has to be all the way forward for this to happen as the block that is machined into the back of the trigger piece is what fits into the recess on the safety. I hope that helps.

ETA I forgot to mention that the first place I would look is possibly the sear at the front. There may be a defect with the hammer. The hammer may not be truly round there in between the sear and the back of the hammer causing it to push on the front of the trigger when the hammer is pushed past the cocked position.

Ghost__1
06-10-11, 23:28
Trigger will be my guess. When the rear extension of the trigger is making too much contact with the selector center and binding it, it stops it from being rotated.

What kind of trigger is in the new lower?

This! Beat me to it. BTW Duffy I just received my new selector. I thank you much. Gonna take it to work and show it around.

Duffy
06-10-11, 23:31
Thanks ghost! Hope you used the MIL discount code :)

Ghost__1
06-10-11, 23:41
Def did. I was the guy that probably annoyed you from excitedly emailing you many times.

kevN
06-10-11, 23:53
Thanks guys.

I assume it is the trigger group from a DD LPK as I ordered this complete DD Complete lower from G&R.

I'll try another trigger group tomorrow and if that works maybe I'll go ahead and upgrade to a Geissel SSA-E, which I have in the BCM and is hogging all my trigger time lately.

I'll report back afterwards.

An Undocumented Worker
06-11-11, 00:08
Call Daniel Defense First! Their customer service is topnotch, and if it is their lower parts kit, they will do what it takes to get you taken care of.

Iraqgunz
06-11-11, 00:12
Please contact GandR or Daniel Defense before you do anything else.