PDA

View Full Version : review of YHM Titanium Phantom 7.62 Sound Suppressor

luckyguy1
06-11-11, 07:25
any reviews on the Titanium Phantom 7.62 Sound Suppressor from YHM?

Thanks.

jbsmwd
06-11-11, 14:20
Really?

luckyguy1
06-11-11, 14:30
Really?

so I'm guessing you got nothing.

thanks for the reply.

by the way I searched 7 pages back on the NFA board, nothing on YHM.

LMTRocks
06-11-11, 16:51
This can is so new that it'll be a bit before someone gets word out on it. My C3 has 2 of them coming in but won't be here until about end of Jul/begin of Aug so when it comes in I'm going to borrow my friend's and see how it goes on my 10.5" and 7.5" 22 upper. If I get my mount from Brightflashlights by then I'll also try it out on my Grendel and imagine that it'll be great on all 3. I used the SS on my 10.5" and 12" 6.8 and the bullet hitting the backstop was louder than the gun firing.

luckyguy1
06-12-11, 08:46
This can is so new that it'll be a bit before someone gets word out on it. My C3 has 2 of them coming in but won't be here until about end of Jul/begin of Aug so when it comes in I'm going to borrow my friend's and see how it goes on my 10.5" and 7.5" 22 upper. If I get my mount from Brightflashlights by then I'll also try it out on my Grendel and imagine that it'll be great on all 3. I used the SS on my 10.5" and 12" 6.8 and the bullet hitting the backstop was louder than the gun firing.

I have the SS model, but the thing is a tank. my concern is how the Ti will hold up over time.

I did not realize they were so new as to not be out yet.

I guess I'll just have to wait.:(

Tokarev
09-22-11, 07:19
I called YHM this morning to inquire about the 7.62 Phantom. The gentleman I spoke with told me the titanium version is backordered until February of 2012. Stainless steel will be available in late December of this year.

He also told me that the titanium cans are not rated for full-auto use.

luckyguy1
09-22-11, 17:42
thank you for the update.

kartoffel
09-22-11, 18:52
Titanium actually holds up to extreme heat very well. It's not as hard or wear resistant as steel though.

If you really wanted to make a gucci suppressor, maybe try Inconel for the first couple baffles, then go to to steel and finally titanium as you get closer to the muzzle. Maximizing both erosion resistance on the blast baffle as well as keeping weight to a minimum. You know what they say: "better, faster, cheaper - pick any two".

gunz213
09-22-11, 21:54
Byron from Major Malfunction tested a couple YHM Titanium cans a while back and the results are posted on his forum.

mtrmn
09-23-11, 07:38
I called YHM this morning to inquire about the 7.62 Phantom. The gentleman I spoke with told me the titanium version is backordered until February of 2012. Stainless steel will be available in late December of this year.

He also told me that the titanium cans are not rated for full-auto use.

I own one-or at least I paid for it a long damn time ago and I have fondled it at my dealer. Unfortunately the ATF has not sent the stamp yet. It's insanely light compared to the SS version. And allegedly the blast baffle is inconel. I have adapters installed on my guns ready and waiting...and waiting.....:lazy:

Tokarev
09-23-11, 18:50
I have been looking at one of these pretty hard. But I just pulled the trigger on the AAC 762-SDN-6. It's a little heavier than the titanium YHM but I think I'll like it.

Let the wait begin!

billybronco
09-23-11, 18:58
kartofell is incorrect.

titanium cans are NOT recommended for sustained fire and it's heat tolerance is doo doo compared to SS and Inconel.

billybronco
09-23-11, 18:59
bolt guns sure....FALs, AR10's, etc....a resounding NO.

mtrmn
09-23-11, 20:44
I own one-or at least I paid for it a long damn time ago and I have fondled it at my dealer. Unfortunately the ATF has not sent the stamp yet. It's insanely light compared to the SS version. And allegedly the blast baffle is inconel. I have adapters installed on my guns ready and waiting...and waiting.....:lazy:

I just posted this today--later I got a call from my dealer and I went and picked it up this afternoon. I can't do a proper review like some others on here can, but first impressions are good. I shot it on my Bushmaster BAR10 and one of my AR15's. I only fired full power ammo and it sounded much like unplugging an air hose in my automotive shop. I was at my range deep in the woods and I'm sure the surrounding trees exagerrated the noise. I would say it is not "hearing safe" with full power ammo, but not uncomfortable for a few shots.
I was very pleased also with my POI shift, especially on the .308. The .308 printed a tight group 1 1/4" left at 100 yds. Took the suppressor off and put it back on-grouped in the same place. The AR15 16" M4 type bbl printed 2" low and 1" left at 100 yds-again repeatable.
My BAR10 ejection shifted from 4 oclock to about 1:30 - 2:00. The AR15 was already ejecting at 2 oclock and it shifted to 1 oclock. May try a heavier buffer in both guns.

Tokarev
09-23-11, 20:51
Make us all smile. Post some pics!

mtrmn
09-24-11, 11:58
I'll TRY, although I haven't had much luck w/pics in the past9840

kartoffel
09-24-11, 20:43
kartofell is incorrect.

titanium cans are NOT recommended for sustained fire and it's heat tolerance is doo doo compared to SS and Inconel.

I don't recall clearing titanium cans for sustained fire. :confused:

Just said that titanium can handle getting hot. Titanium doesn't melt until over 3000 degrees F. Steel and Inconel both melts in the 2600 to 2800 F range.

You can anneal Titanium dead soft, quench it violently, lather, rinse repeat. It resists cracking and corrosion even at welds (if done right).

Suppose you design a part to operate at 2000+ degrees with enough strength to operate at that temperature. Inconel and titanium both beat steel in that environment thanks to corrosion resistance and grain stability. These firearm suppressors aren't meant to run at 2000 degrees day in and day out. YHM uses titanium because it's light and because chicks dig it. This can is probably thin enough to squish like a toilet paper tube if you heated it 2000 degrees, though.

mtrmn
09-25-11, 09:07
bolt guns sure....FALs, AR10's, etc....a resounding NO.

I agree if you do 10 straight mag dumps with your FALs/AR10s. I can't affford the ammo it takes to do that, and under all MY normal shooting with MY semi-autos it will never get overheated. The paperwork says it is warranted for full auto with barrel lengths 10.5" or longer.

Ring
09-25-11, 13:07
a local dealer has the yhm Ti for 775$.. im debating that or the SAS QD for my 260 bolt

billybronco
09-25-11, 20:04
http://www.modernrifle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44002

mtrmn
09-25-11, 20:04
a local dealer has the yhm Ti for 775$.. im debating that or the SAS QD for my 260 bolt

That's dirt cheap--sure it's not stainless?? My Ti 7.62 cost a few hundred more, but the stainless was near the price range you're quoting. The titanium weighs like 15 oz where the stainless is around 31 oz. The lighter weight was worth the extra cash to me.

Ring
09-25-11, 22:17
That's dirt cheap--sure it's not stainless?? My Ti 7.62 cost a few hundred more, but the stainless was near the price range you're quoting. The titanium weighs like 15 oz where the stainless is around 31 oz. The lighter weight was worth the extra cash to me.

he has the SS for 555$ :)

mtrmn
09-26-11, 06:22
man you need to lock in those prices now(I paid a LOT more)---you won't regret the extra money for the titanium. I waited 5 months on the paperwork-sooner you get it started the better.

Turnkey11
09-30-11, 00:05
There is a shop in Tucson that carries the YHM Ti cans, handled one there and was sold on them from the get go. Gonna grab a thread mount for my bolt gun as soon as I get caught up with the million other projects around the house that are $1k each.

eodinert
09-30-11, 15:13
Who in Tucson has them?

Turnkey11
09-30-11, 23:32
Black Weapons Armory.