PDA

View Full Version : Military application of a combat shotgun?

Mojo58
10-16-07, 18:25
A guy at the range told me that there is info on the net about the military use of the combat shotgun, specifically the Marines and Navy's protocol. Anybody aware of this site that he may be referring to? Things like how they practise starting with an empty chamber and racking the action before each engagement. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

nationwide
10-16-07, 18:40
I would be interested in this doctrinal info as well...

ETA: You can go post this question on TOS also, and have an answer some time next summer...

FJB
10-17-07, 22:52
There was a thread at Lightfighter about the application of combat shotguns.

S/F

KevinB
10-18-07, 12:22
That thread on LF was a trainwreck - some good info - but a lot of my grilfriends goldfish has a friend in Iraq...

Mojo - you are talking about running a breaching shotty chamber dry, you only cycle to choot the lock/hinge - and leave the empty in the chamber.

I'm a beleiver that the shotty is a breaching/LL platform only - and has not real role outside that anymore.

Mojo58
10-18-07, 17:26
Mojo - you are talking about running a breaching shotty chamber dry, you only cycle to choot the lock/hinge - and leave the empty in the chamber.

I'm a beleiver that the shotty is a breaching/LL platform only - and has not real role outside that anymore.

Roger that Kevin. A friend finally sent me the link from AR15.com. and just read it a couple hours ago. Outside of hopping on a flight to take a shotgun course in the good U.S. of A., can you recommend any publications or DVDs that will give me a better insight to the practical use of using a shotgun in a combative situation?

Obiwan
10-18-07, 17:54
I am with Kevin on this......

But you should hear the screamin when I actually say it to someone:rolleyes:

KevinB
10-18-07, 22:50
I would say you cannot learn to breach from a DVD. Its a hands on skill.

If your in the CF talk to someone who has taken the UOIC, or better yet a SOAC grad - who can talk you thru it - and run some ranges for you.

Lightfighter thread.
http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7206084761/m/8511024713

Mojo58
10-19-07, 03:27
Yeah, I hear ya Kevin. I'll take your advice and seek out some reliable sources. Thanks!

Striker5
10-20-07, 20:26
I never saw or heard of any application other than breaching, but that's hardly scientific. One company captured a sawed off 870 Wingmaster, which was added to the CMR and employed as a breaching shotgun. I saw exactly one very battered Mossberg 500 in the paws of a Marine outside the PX. I saw a handful of Benelli JCS's - always clean and in the hands of a sergeant major.

Somewhere in Iraq, GI's are shooting people with shotguns, but I think it's safe to say this is very much the exception. It is simply not versatile enough, in terms of range. It would be fun to have some in the armory, just in case, but if I could only have one long gun it would not be a shotgun.

Mojo58
10-21-07, 03:26
The following is from TOS (that was sent to me by a friend). The shotgun being employed as a primary weapon in close quarters (eg. house to house) and as a breaching weapon. Being that the combat shotgun is new to me, I was interested in learning how to efficiently load it, shoot it quickly and accurately at shorter ranges, malfunction drills and any other skills that would be beneficial in an offensive and defensive environment.

"The shotgun is the most misunderstood weapon in the Brigade Combat Team. The combat shotgun has found new life in the Infantry during the war on terror and through “Modularity” with the BCT being equipped with 178 M-500 shotguns. However, at issue is that no single “doctrinal” resource exists supporting the current combination of roles the shotgun is being employed in. Units are forced to either search through multiple FM’s, depend on unit “SME’s”, or simply make it up. The result is often shotguns being used in improper roles such as a primary weapon without a stock or supporting pistol, or as a secondary weapon with the full stock slung across the soldiers back. Here I will attempt to impart the lessons learned employing shotguns in the 10th Mountain Division since the summer of 2001.

Methods of Employment:

The shotgun should be employed in one of two methods. In the first method the shotgun is employed as a primary weapon with a full stock. Considerations for the commander when employed in this manner are the limited range and reduced ammo capacity of the shotgun. A soldier conducting house to house fighting at close ranges may be well served by the standard shotgun. However, skills that must be ingrained are: reloading constantly or the “load what you shoot” rule and transitioning to a handgun. With only six rounds at their disposal a shot-gunner may find themselves out of ammo quickly in a fire fight. Reloads must occur at every lull in the fight. Transitioning to a hand gun is one method of staying in the fight if you run out of ammo. Simply put, the shotgun is lowered and the M-9 is drawn and a controlled pair fired when the shotgun is out of ammo. The shot gunner maintains the M-9 until the situation allows him to reload the shotgun. The same process is used for a stoppage that can not be cleared by immediate action.

In the second method the shotgun is employed as a secondary weapon. In this case the primary weapon for the soldier is the M-4 or M-16. The shotgun is then typically employed with a pistol grip and some sort of retention system. The 10th Mountains Infantry ILARM course teaches the shotgun being slung on the firer’s side and to transition from the M-4 to the shotgun, then back again.

In the role of a secondary weapon to the M-4 the shotgun is carried un-cocked on an empty chamber or with an expended cartridge in the chamber. When employed the gunner pulls the M-4 across his body away from the shotgun, then brings up the shotgun, racks the slide and fires. Once engagement is complete the gunner leaves the shotgun action closed on the expended round and transitions back to the M-4.This process is repeated as required. The gunner will then reload the shotgun when the tactical situation permits.

Units should look at using NSN: 8465-01-491-4509 (Blackhawk Slung Weapon Holder) in combination with a sling for retaining their shotguns used as a secondary weapon. Also look at the new Bulldog Breachers Sling

The fundamental operation of the shotgun in ether role is the same. Vigorous racking of the slide back then forward assures positive extraction, ejection and chambering of the rounds. Weak manipulation of the slide will result in the shotgun suffering a malfunction. Immediate action for any malfunction is to cycle the action again. If you are still unable to fire transition to the M-9 or M-4 and continue the fight. Once the tactical situation allows go into remedial actions to clear the malfunction or reload as required.

Operational Roles of the Shotgun:

The greatest strength of the shotgun and its greatest weakness is the versatility of its ammo. Everything from bird hunting loads, slugs, flares; to 12 ga. High Explosive rounds are available today. Currently the Army only authorizes a few loads: #9 Shot, 00 Buck, M-1030 Breaching rounds, M-1012 and 1013 Less Lethal rounds. Other rounds such as the Action FRAG-12 (USMC), Joint Non-Lethal Warning Munition (JNLWM), XM-104 Non-Lethal Bursting Hand Grenade, Taser XREP and the Extended Range Point Less-Lethal Munitions are in various stages of development and should be expected to lead to new training requirements. This leaves a bewildering array of possible roles, anti-personnel, breaching, less-lethal, ect based on the type of rounds at the commanders disposal. Further many rounds can be used in multiple roles. For example 00 buck can be used to conduct breaches, but presents an increased risk of collateral damage to civilians of fellow soldiers. Also, lack of a STRAC that sufficiently supports training with the shotgun has extremely hampered commanders understanding the shotgun.

Currently, the shotguns roles can be divided into three general roles: 1. Offensive Weapon, 2. Breacher, 3. Less-Lethal Munitions delivery system. As an offensive weapon the shotgun should be employed as a full stocked weapon employing 00# buckshot rounds, supported by a M-9 pistol. In this role commanders must account for the limited effective range of the shotgun. Employing the current 00# buckshot loads 25-35 meters is the soldier’s realistic effective range. Employed with out a stock this range is reduced to 10 meters. Future munitions such as the Action FRAG-12 or a type classified slug round combined with an improved sighting systems should be expected to increase this range to 100 meters.

In the breaching role the shotgun provides the commander with increased momentum when conducting urban operations. The breaching shotgun is extremely effective in quickly defeating locked doors with reduced risk to the soldier compared to manual breaching methods. The M-1030 round is the primary breaching round, however, has only been procured in small numbers. The M-1030 round presents the most effective breaching round and presents the lowest risk for collateral damage. Typically units should expect to employ #9 shot loads for training and can also effectively employ them in combat with increased risk of collateral damage, and slightly reduced effectiveness. Commanders should also be aware that #9 shot loads are not effective anti-personal rounds much further than arms reach. Some versions of the M-1030 round perform similure to a standard slug round when used against personel.

Warning: Ballistic Protective GOGGLES must be worn by all personel supporting Shotgun Breach Training or Employment.

In the role of less-lethal munitions delivery system the 12 gauge shotgun offers exceptional versatility. Utilizing the shotgun instead of systems such as the FN-303 Individual Serviceman Non-Lethal System (ISNLS) reduces the training and sustainment burden on the commander also, since he already has shotguns organic to the unit. Here, more then any area, though the lack of training ammo or qualification standards has defeated the commander. The current M-1012 round provides the commander with a low to medium point pain compliance munitions effective to about 30 meters. The M-1012 round is most effective in a low threat environment against an individual target. The M-1013 is a medium pain compliance round designed for use against multiple targets, however, it is also effective against a point target. Munitions such as the USMC Sting ball grenade or Army XM-104 Non-Lethal Bursting Hand Grenade, with grenade launching cup extend the less lethal range up to 100 meters. Employed from the grenade launching cup attached to the shotgun the commander has an extremely effective method of dispersing rioting mobs. Developmental rounds such as the Flarebang also provide the commander with the ability to deliver more effective warning shots by providing a visual and audio cue. This round should approve exceptionally effective at check points.

Warning: Unit and Agency's employing Less-Lethal Munitions need to have a strong training program in place and Rules of Engagement.

SOPs:

Units must consider how they configure their combat loads of shotgun ammo if they are using multiple types of ammo on a operation. Units must determine the method of employment, then the role the shotguns will be used in. For example the commander determines that they will employ the shotgun as a secondary weapon. He further sees the role as being primarily to conduct breaching with a secondary mission of delivering Less-Lethal munitions. The commander elects in this case to designate shotguns as primary breachers and proscribes they will be loaded with breaching rounds in the mag tube, breaching rounds in the shotgun ammo pouch (fighting load) and less lethal ammo carried in the right canteen pouch (sustainment load). In each case the chamber is empty or after initial contact is closed with the pump unlocked.

Commanders may also segregate the types of munitions into special teams. The commander thus reduces the requirement to clear weapons in order to switch munitions. Instead the squad leaders are able to call forward a special team to meet the need as required. He has further reduced the likely hood of firing a lethal breaching round into a situation requiring less-lethal. Further segregating the load carried by the soldier reduces the likely hood of introducing the “wrong” round while reloading.

The same principles apply when the shotgun is employed as a primary weapon. The primary difference is based on METT-T one of the two loads carried should be 00 Buck. This provides the shot gunners lethal force and specialty munitions as required. Mixing more then two types (lethal, less lethal and breaching) of ammo per soldier should carefully considered and have sufficient measures in place to prevent employing the wrong munitions for the target.

Training Plans:

Commanders frequently are unable to locate qualification standards due to the lack of a supporting field manual. The STP for shotgun qualification is no longer in print and is difficult to locate online also. Short Range Marksmanship (SRM) standards are ironically listed in the M-16 manual. Listed after the M-16 SRM standards shotgun and automatic firing standards are described as being the same as rifle SRM. Less-Lethal munitions also do not have a published standard. The Civil Disturbance Manual, FM 3-19 and FM 3-22.40 Tactical Employment of Non-Lethal Weapons outlines a recommended range standard; however, notes the Army Does not have a qualification standard. Furthermore, no standards for breaching qualifications are published Army wide.

STRAC also does little to help commanders. Different types of Infantry organizations have different STRAC authorizations, with the Stryker BDE’s being the best resourced (Table 5-79). Some of those authorizations include breaching munitions, some do not. None of the STRAC shotgun tables support Short Range Marksmanship or Live Fire Exercises. Commanders must develop and resources a realistic training plan that will allow them to integrate the shotgun in to the full spectrum of operations. They must then push for the training system to provide them with enough ammunition to support their plan.

STRAC Table 5-79
Shotgun Ammunition/Training Strategy
Event DODIC Rounds Frequency

PMI N/A EST 2

Instructional Fire A011 3 2

Qualification Fire A011 10 2

Total Per Soldier A011 26

Shotgun Door Breaching Training Strategy

Event DODIC Rounds Frequency

Ballistic Breaching AA54 8 2

Total Per Soldier AA54 16

When developing their Breaching training plan the question of procuring doors is a frequent issue. A command or installation faces purchasing enough doors for 178 shotguns per BCT to conduct shotgun breaching semi-annually. Commanders should consider using such training aids as the Breaching Technology’s Shotgun Breaching Door or Royal Arms Breach Door Trainer. Either door provides for a reusable training door that can be emplaced in a MOUT Site or MOUT LFX facility in support of all phases of training. Both doors support M-1030 rounds and the more common #9 shot. Prior to procuring any breaching doors the command must do a risk assessment and is advised to coordinate their actions with the Installation Safety Office and their Range Division.

Commanders must also be aware that units and individuals are also modifying the issue shotguns to better meet their requirements with un-tested commercial parts. Such modifications are violating the Technical Manual and Army Regulation 750-10 Army Modification Program. While there are improvements that could be made to the issue shotgun, they are outside the scope of this article. Currently the only approved method for requesting modifications is through an Operational Needs Statement for “Special Missions Modifications”.

Once properly understood and resourced the shotgun presents the commander with many additional capabilities that he is able to tailor to his mission. From lethal force to less-lethal or breaching the combat shotgun is on hand and ready to support the Infantry.

Robert Clements"

PALADIN-hgwt
10-21-07, 09:18
xxxxx

nationwide
10-21-07, 09:42
Besides guarding prisoners, walking point in dense undergrowth and clearing tunnels are "military applications". The GWOT will eventually move to Indonesia or the Philipines where dense jungles exist, and a pump shotgun will be highly valued again.

Paladin

US forces have already seen action in the PI...