PDA

View Full Version : "Best" .22LR Defensive Ammo?

556A2
06-11-11, 16:48
I know its a oxymoron. Let me explain before the inevitable flaming, and beat-down occurs.

I'm seriously debating on getting a .22LR pocket pistol like a Beretta 21A as a BUG. The reason is at our workshop, I am 99% more likely to be a victim of a Copperhead, Cottonmouth, or Timber Rattlesnake bite than a human attacker due to it being by a heavily wooded (and secluded) lake. Plus it would be quieter than a centerfire cartridge as not to disturb the only local resident near our shop. I ALWAYS have a M9 or G17 on me, and my business partner normally has his G17 on him. So this will NOT be a primary defensive firearm.

So a .22 would actually be ideal to be in my pocket over a .380 for the intended use. I am in no way thinking a .22 is near ideal for defensive use, and this would pretty much only be in use at work.

However, assuming that I expended all my 9mm (and my business partner expends all his), and I'm only left with a .22LR...... what would be the "best" load to reach 12" of penetration?

usmcvet
06-11-11, 17:40
Stingers would be my choice. I've used them racoon hunting .

Bruce in WV
06-11-11, 17:56
Check out this tool to improve the terminal performance of whatever cartridge you choose.

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco2.htm

NWPilgrim
06-11-11, 19:37
Anyone have experience with that Paco Tool for forming the bullet? Looks pretty interesting since I have thousands of rounds of round nose .22LR. But I wouldn't drop $125 on it unless there was independent confirmation that it really improved accuracy and terminal effectiveness on critters.

Plan
06-11-11, 20:03
I would opt for a decent quality solid with a flat/truncated nose if possible to ensure penetration. CCI Velocitor is the only common hollowpoint that comes close as far as adequate penetration is concerned (as far as I know). In my mind, penetration and adequate ignition/cartridge quality are going to be the two major areas where the .22 is consistently lacking.

5pins
06-11-11, 20:26
The only ammo that works 100% in my M21 has been CCI Mini Mags.

Bruce in WV
06-11-11, 21:11
http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11376
http://www.gunblast.com/Paco.htm
http://www.gunblast.com/Paco_Scorpn.htm
http://www.gunblast.com/Paco2.htm
http://www.gunblast.com/Paco-Flatface.htm

Also, do a search at the leverguns.com site (which Paco owns and where he has the order form for the tool) and search on "ACU'RZR" for a years worth of archived threads, including hunting results, but not actual use in SD.

06-11-11, 21:22
I know its a oxymoron. Let me explain before the inevitable flaming, and beat-down occurs.

I'm seriously debating on getting a .22LR pocket pistol like a Beretta 21A as a BUG. The reason is at our workshop, I am 99% more likely to be a victim of a Copperhead, Cottonmouth, or Timber Rattlesnake bite than a human attacker due to it being by a heavily wooded (and secluded) lake. Plus it would be quieter than a centerfire cartridge as not to disturb the only local resident near our shop. I ALWAYS have a M9 or G17 on me, and my business partner normally has his G17 on him. So this will NOT be a primary defensive firearm.

So a .22 would actually be ideal to be in my pocket over a .380 for the intended use. I am in no way thinking a .22 is near ideal for defensive use, and this would pretty much only be in use at work.

However, assuming that I expended all my 9mm (and my business partner expends all his), and I'm only left with a .22LR...... what would be the "best" load to reach 12" of penetration?

Given that your "back-up" gun is going to have, at most, a three inch barrel, muzzle velocity will likely not exceed 950 fps and depending upon the expansion threshold of the JHP you use (should you select one), the JHP will probably not expand. I'd ask the ammo manufacturer if they can provide you with that number and use that to determine whether or not your pistol can produce the velocity (time for a chronograph session :D) necessary to initiate expansion.

When it comes to "back up" guns in miniature calibers, I'd go with the heaviest LRN (40 gr. LRNs seem to be the "standard" without getting into the one 60 gr. "novelty load" that I am aware of) at the highest velocity possible to guarantee penetration to the vitals and plan on dumping the entire magazine into the threat.

Stay safe.

Jake'sDad
06-11-11, 22:35
When it comes to "back up" guns in miniature calibers, I'd go with the heaviest LRN (40 gr. LRNs seem to be the "standard" without getting into the one 60 gr. "novelty load" that I am aware of) at the highest velocity possible to guarantee penetration to the vitals and plan on dumping the entire magazine into the threat.

Stay safe.

Good advice. If someone insists on using a .22 for defense, one of the lightweight hyper velocity hollow points would be the last thing you'd want. They're designed to fragment in squirrel size targets.

OP, I'd check and see if your Beretta will feed these.

CCI SGB (http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=2&loadNo=0058)

And I'd change out your ammo often.

PA PATRIOT
06-11-11, 23:18
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/images/blazer_shotshells.jpg
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?loadNo=3790

The O/P first stated he was looking for a quieter way to dispatch a unwanted snake which did not have the report of his Glock Model-17 9mm pistol. In my experience trying to hit a moving fang slinger with a little .22LR solid is a real challenge but if I recall correctly the last batch of snake repellent I used was in 9mm and .38spl shot shells from CCI which had a lesser report then standard loadings. The CCI shot shell is a very limited range single shot deal in a 9mm semi-auto pistol having to hand cycle the pistols action to load another round but the .38spl version function as a normal revolver would. I would suggest carrying at least one if not two 17rd spare magazines for your Glock giving you a total of 35/52rds to get out of harms way over carrying a .22LR pistol as a back-up, but if you feel the need to carry a second gun IMHO a better choice over a .22LR would be a little J-Frame .38spl loaded with 5 shots of Speer's 38 Special+P 135 Grain GOLD DOT Short Barrel Hollow Points http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/bullet_tests.htm and carry a speed loader of .38spl shot shells to deal with a possible snake encounter.

556A2
06-12-11, 00:58
<SNIP>

I had actually thought about the shotshell cartridges, but its a specialty round that won't work an automatic. I decided against going down the revolver path since I never shoot them as well as autos.

I'm pretty adamant about keeping this a .22LR for several reasons:
1. Report
2. Effective against its primary threats (Venomous Snakes)
3. Cheap cost & practice
4. While rimfire is not as consistent as centerfire, quality rimfire cartridges tend to always work (NEVER seen a FTF with CCI Rimfire).
5. I can do some plinking with it if I wanted to as well.

So while its far from ideal against a 200lb methhead, its actually ideal for my intended purpose. In fact, I will probably just use it as a BUG at work. When going home for the weekend, or going to town it would probably be replaced by a LCP.

I just don't know what loading I should pick in the very rare case I would have to solely rely on it against a human threat.

(Also open to other small .22LR autos. Just planning on a 21A since I carry a M9 frequently).

sjc3081
06-12-11, 01:39
You should look at the Aguila Interceptor. 40 grain plated round nose that is the hotest round available.

06-12-11, 12:35
I had actually thought about the shotshell cartridges, but its a specialty round that won't work an automatic. I decided against going down the revolver path since I never shoot them as well as autos.

I'm pretty adamant about keeping this a .22LR for several reasons:
1. Report
2. Effective against its primary threats (Venomous Snakes)
3. Cheap cost & practice
4. While rimfire is not as consistent as centerfire, quality rimfire cartridges tend to always work (NEVER seen a FTF with CCI Rimfire).
5. I can do some plinking with it if I wanted to as well.

So while its far from ideal against a 200lb methhead, its actually ideal for my intended purpose. In fact, I will probably just use it as a BUG at work. When going home for the weekend, or going to town it would probably be replaced by a LCP.

I just don't know what loading I should pick in the very rare case I would have to solely rely on it against a human threat.

(Also open to other small .22LR autos. Just planning on a 21A since I carry a M9 frequently).

556A2,

In the event that you have to employ your Beretta 21A loaded with shotshells against a 200 pound "meth-head", I believe that you'll find it terribly lacking since those tiny #9 pellets (0.08 inches in diameter and ~0.75 grains in weight) will only provide about 2.50 - 3.00 inches of penetration (@ 850 - 950 fps) against soft tissue and will be deflected by even the thinnest bone should they encounter it after impact.

Although the device above (the Paco tool) is an interesting idea, if the bullet is fired at a velocity that will not initiate expansion with the factory formed JHP (the pressure produced at impact velocity fails to exceed the yield strength of the lead alloy composing the bullet which in turn drives expansion), altering a LRN to a JHP configuration with the tool is also unlikely to produce expansion. (plastic deformation)

I'd really urge you to stick with the fastest .22LR 40 gr. (plated) LRN that you can find, but ultimately the choice is yours.

The Aguila Interceptor suggested by sjc3081 seems to be a promising option.

Stay safe.

sjc3081
06-12-11, 13:10
I tested my 21A ,350 rounds of Interceptor in one siting rapid fire no additional lube or cleaning , no malfunctions.

MountainRaven
06-12-11, 13:34

First, I've run CCI's shotshells (in small quantities) through an early production HK45 with zero issues.

Second, if you're shooting at snakes, does it really matter if you have to manipulate the slide after every shot?

556A2
06-12-11, 14:32
First, I've run CCI's shotshells (in small quantities) through an early production HK45 with zero issues.

Second, if you're shooting at snakes, does it really matter if you have to manipulate the slide after every shot?

I've never seen the 9mms run in several pistols. I'm leary of them, and I wouldn't trust #12 shot out of a 12 gauge let alone a 9mm if I ever would have to use it against an attacker.

I also find it unacceptable to use any ammo that requires me to manipulate the slide. It defeats the purpose of a semiautomatic.

I'm leaning towards 481's advice to go with a heavy 40-grain LRN. I think CCI's SGB will fit the bill with it being a 40-grain LFN.

NWPilgrim
06-12-11, 15:48
The OP states he plans to use his .22LR backup pistol for SNAKES! Not 200 lb meth heads. He carries a Glock for 2 legged critters. Please read the OP before criticizing him.

DeltaKilo
06-12-11, 15:58
The OP states he plans to use his .22LR backup pistol for SNAKES! Not 200 lb meth heads. He carries a Glock for 2 legged critters. Please read the OP before criticizing him.

So can we 1911 Afficianados make fun of his choice of a glock? :D

tpd223
06-12-11, 16:08
I know of a Sheriff's department that issued the 21s to all of the troops, required that they carry it as a BUG on duty unless they supplied a larger caliber personal weapon, and allowed them to be carried off-duty as well. They actually trained and qual'd with the little guns, quite a bit since ammo was so cheap.

Not my first choice, but a .22lr NSR to a bad guy's face ain't a bad option to have vs no BUG at all.

Check out "Southnarc"s Total Protection site and look up "old man gun". Claude Werner does a well thought out write-up on why he bought and modified a 21 for his dad (CT laser grips, tool on board to pop out a round in case of a fails-to-fire, etc.).

Ammo is whatever is most reliable in your gun, this is the most critical aspect.
Currently Claude uses CCI Mini Mags or the Velocitor as they have tested to be reliable in his gun. The Velocitor won't expand from that short of a barrel, but it does open up just slightly in the tests he ran so that the bullet becomes very wadcutter-ish.
Stingers ain't a bad choice either in my experience.

Doc can correct me on this, but almost any .22lr round, be it solid or HP, will pretty much act the same in gel, basically fails to expand and eventually yaws to a 180, penetration near 12" for the most part, give or take.

I think for your needs this ain't a bad choice at all, and you can afford to become VERY good with a .22 due to low ammo costs.

threeheadeddog
06-12-11, 18:36
I have thought many times about a .22 to carry as an "outdoor gun" in addition to my carry pistol. Every time I do, I relize that as much as I want a beretta 21 in .22 it is just not a good choice. For .22 I simply cannot see using any auto because of .22 ammo's spotty reliability. The S&W 317 looks like about the best option as you can simply pull the trigger again and go to the next round. Or try the beretta in .25.

06-12-11, 19:45
The OP states he plans to use his .22LR backup pistol for SNAKES! Not 200 lb meth heads.

Given the highlighted (in bold red) portion of the OP's initial (and one subsequent) post below, it would appear that the OP has considered using his 21A for "back up" use on 200 pound "meth-heads".

Why would he be looking for a load that produces at least 12 inches of penetration?

Do you honestly believe that he is planning to shoot snakes length-wise?

Please read the OP before criticizing him.

Are you serious?

I see no posts where anyone has criticized the OP at all.

In fact, it appears that there are several members here (including myself) interested in helping him arrive at a solid decision so as to ensure his safety.

06-12-11, 20:25
I've never seen the 9mms run in several pistols. I'm leary of them, and I wouldn't trust #12 shot out of a 12 gauge let alone a 9mm if I ever would have to use it against an attacker.

I also find it unacceptable to use any ammo that requires me to manipulate the slide. It defeats the purpose of a semiautomatic.

I'm leaning towards 481's advice to go with a heavy 40-grain LRN. I think CCI's SGB will fit the bill with it being a 40-grain LFN.

556A2,

The CCI SGB should do nicely!

Kudos to Jake'sDad for the recomendation. :)

tpd223
06-12-11, 23:44
Pick a reliable load, ain't enough of a difference in any of the high speed .22lr loads to make any real difference.

200RNL
06-13-11, 01:32
Wonder how effective a 40gr would be from a 18" 10-22 Ruger. It's about the only firearm my wife can handle for home defense.

tpd223
06-13-11, 09:36
Wonder how effective a 40gr would be from a 18" 10-22 Ruger. It's about the only firearm my wife can handle for home defense.

Go with solids, they penetrate rather well, and normally yaw, often to the 180 and finish up backwards typically.

The Velocitor does interest me in this role though.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/CCI%20Velocitor%2040%20grain%20Gold%20Dot%20JHP.html

5pins
06-13-11, 09:45
The 21 is a very reliable .22 when fed the right ammo. The cheaper value packs like the stuff from Wal-Mart and CCI blazes work well for practice. Hollow points are not going to expand from that short barrel; it’s just not going to happen.

Another consideration is the small sights on the pistol. They are tiny and crude and in the two I have used did not hit point of aim.

If you are going to carry in your pocket then I would recommend cutting the hammer back so it will not snag.

BullittBoy
06-13-11, 10:45
I can tell you the CCI Velocitors will kill 5 lb nutria rats out of my Walther P22 at 15 yards, I also have shot cottonmouths and regular water moccasins if you hit them with that bullet it will deter them rather quickly. The Walther barrel is not that much longer than the Beretta and at a few feet these bullets are very lethal on snakes, I blew a water moccasin in half when I emptied the mag on one a couple years ago.
The nutria all swim off if hit by regular .22's, but with the Velocitor they flop around and roll over dead if hit in any vital area or neck.

Shawn Dodson
06-13-11, 13:41
For a Beretta 21A I suggest CCI .22 LR 40gr SGB (Small Game Bullet). It uses a flat nose bullet propelled at Mini Mag velcity.

_rab_
06-13-11, 18:53
The previous posts have pointed you to the correct ammunition in my opinion.

Food for thought, I've never fired a .22 magnum, so I can't testify about it's report. However, you may consider a S&W 351 PD AirLite. Small, light, and a slightly more adequate round, with 7 shots, more reliable than a .22 autoloader.

I put down sneaks with my Glock 20, and I've never had to shoot at a poisonous sneak that's running from me. Every time, I have time to stop, take my ear protection from my backpack, take aim, and squeeze the trigger. I wouldn't be concerned with accuracy when talking venemous snakes.

Just food for thought.

Polymerhead
06-13-11, 20:44
Assuming it runs well in your gun, you may consider Aguila SSS. The 60 gr bullet means 50% more mass than a typical 22 LR. Expect below average accuracy but for a belly gun out to 20 feet or whatever, it's gonna punch a hole in what you hit

LHS
06-13-11, 22:01
Another vote for the heavy solids at max velocity.

I had some of the CCI .22 shotshells, and out of an 18"-bbl carbine, they wouldn't penetrate a single IPSC cardboard target @ 3 yards. I wouldn't even use them for snakes, much less anything else. The .38 loads seem to work well, though.

WS6
06-14-11, 00:34
Another vote for the heavy solids at max velocity.

I had some of the CCI .22 shotshells, and out of an 18"-bbl carbine, they wouldn't penetrate a single IPSC cardboard target @ 3 yards. I wouldn't even use them for snakes, much less anything else. The .38 loads seem to work well, though.

I shot a bird (medium size, about the size of a Bluejay) at about 30 feet that was terrorizing my grandpa's bird-feeder with a .22 CCI "rat-shot" load and it knocked it down. Did not kill it, but immobilized it until I got to it and put it down. 1 pellet appeared to have either penetrated the skull, or impacted it hard enough to damage the animal in such a way that it was a quick matter to end it.

I think it would do just fine for smaller snakes with thin skull-structure.

tpd223
06-14-11, 08:34
I shot a bird (medium size, about the size of a Bluejay) at about 30 feet that was terrorizing my grandpa's bird-feeder with a .22 CCI "rat-shot" load and it knocked it down. Did not kill it, but immobilized it until I got to it and put it down. 1 pellet appeared to have either penetrated the skull, or impacted it hard enough to damage the animal in such a way that it was a quick matter to end it.

I think it would do just fine for smaller snakes with thin skull-structure.

That bird had bad karma.

The CCI shot will get through the side of a Coors can at like ten feet, but will bounce off of the bottom and leave only very tiny sort-of dents.

For the OP's mission statement, snakes with the possibility of bad guys, I think the standard ammo is the best bet.

I will throw out a plug for the CT laser grips on that little gun, makes aiming much easier, especially aiming at things that wiggle.

Aurispector
06-14-11, 19:06
Velocitors hands down. It's a good quality load and quite reliable. Of all the 22lr loads it's the best combination of velocity and mass commonly available. It does penetrate but forget expansion in a 22lr.

I think serious thought needs to be given to 22lr for defense solely for the reason that it may be all you can get in an emergency.

Of course it's far from ideal but if your other firearms are disabled/stolen/out of ammo you may have no other choice. A couple of bricks of bulk for practice and some boxes of velocitors as a "duty" load could save your bacon.

tpd223
06-16-11, 10:17
Velocitors hands down. It's a good quality load and quite reliable. Of all the 22lr loads it's the best combination of velocity and mass commonly available. It does penetrate but forget expansion in a 22lr.

I think serious thought needs to be given to 22lr for defense solely for the reason that it may be all you can get in an emergency.

Of course it's far from ideal but if your other firearms are disabled/stolen/out of ammo you may have no other choice. A couple of bricks of bulk for practice and some boxes of velocitors as a "duty" load could save your bacon.

I concur for the most part.

You need to check reliability with .22s every time you buy new ammo.

I know a VERY accomplished shooter who uses a Beretta 21 at times. Recently he was checking a new batch of Velocitors and started getting regular fails-to-feed from his gun, which had been 100% reliable with Velocitors up to that point.

CCI Mini Mags were still GTG so he just switched "carry" ammo that day until he could get the problem figured out.

sjc3081
06-16-11, 10:28
Interceptors are 50fps faster than Velociters

El Gato
06-16-11, 11:02
Personally...
at our "school"...for those who feel the .22 is a gun they should carry...and make no mistake, it's a personal choice, and if they ask my opinion I will opine...

but we suggest Eley primed rounds...the priming is simply more reliable which is why we carry .. so it goes off... which... and I may be wrong about this... I'm willing to admit....is the POINT... going off every time...may be slightly more important than expansion in a .22...alot of .22 rounds simply don't go off when you want them to....

tpd223
06-16-11, 12:54
Interceptors are 50fps faster than Velociters

Book velocity or actually cronographed?

Just wondering.

bullseye
06-16-11, 12:59
just for conversations sake, and to go along with snakes and shotshells, i've killed 4 chicken snakes in my egg boxes this year. although i have some 9mm and 38 spec shotshells, i decided to try the 22 with a ruger bearcat, to minimize damage to my pressure treated plywood egg boxes. all 4 of the snakes were still laying up in the box, after eating all the eggs. i shot once from approx. 5', followed by another shot at 2-3',, barn-yard dead.. several have told me that .45 auto shotshells will cycle your gun, but i have not personally tried any.

sjc3081
06-16-11, 15:15
Book but someday I should chronograph them.

Buckshot TX
06-16-11, 22:15
Assuming it runs well in your gun, you may consider Aguila SSS. The 60 gr bullet means 50% more mass than a typical 22 LR. Expect below average accuracy but for a belly gun out to 20 feet or whatever, it's gonna punch a hole in what you hit

THE SSS is fun & hits hard, but it rarely functions reliably in semiautos & isn't very accurate unless you have a barrel with a fast enough twist.

tpd223
06-17-11, 15:39
THE SSS is fun & hits hard, but it rarely functions reliably in semiautos & isn't very accurate unless you have a barrel with a fast enough twist.

I've seen it crono'd out of small handguns and noted velocities in the high 500s and low 600s, a Sim round is almost 500fps, and the old "Super Police" load with a 200gr bullet launched at similar speeds was well known to be very poor at putting bad guys down.

SkiDevil
06-17-11, 15:51

I have a close friend who uses the Beretta model 21 as a BUG and that pistol is often complemented with a G-26.

I have fired several 21s and my opinion is that although it can be a reliable pistol, I would much prefer a .32 ACP chambered in a Seecamp or similar quality pistol. But FWIW, he seems to have had the best luck with CCI .22 LR loads.

I have personally fired hundreds of thousands of .22 rounds and only recall ignition problems with low-quality bulk type rounds. However, by the far the lowest quality/ problematic rounds that I have encountered were produced by Remington.

CCI is probably one of the most consistent quality made rimfire ammunition rounds that you can buy until you venture into the match ammo, as the other member referenced (i.e., Eley, RWS, SKD, Lapua, etc.). I have found that either CCI mini-mags or plain 40gr standard velocity rounds are very accurate, reliable, and not expensive for the quality.

In regards to the shotshells, I have used both .22 LR and .22 WMR shotshells on birds with a rifle and pistol. By far the .22 WMR was much more effective on birds (starlings). However, I have not shot a snake with either. I have shot three snakes in the desert with a 12 GA shotgun and a 9mm pistol and noted that rattle snakes have a tenacity for life.

I like .22s alot too. And have been considering picking-up the SW 351 in .22 WMR. It is a neat little pistol (I have handled one but not shot-it) and would fit my needs nicely for a trail gun and to dispatch a wounded Big game animal.

The .22 WMR is a great little round and would likely lend itself to dispatching a snake or other varmint better than the standard .22 LR. And a revolver is about as reliable as you can get. The only down sides to the choice are the additional cost of the ammunition, the greater cost of the gun (SW 351), and the larger size [than the Beretta 21].

Regards
SkiDevil

Links: http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/Category/614/2/Guns/Pistols/Seecamp-Pistols.htm

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764925_-1_757768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=5&loadNo=0032

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/pestcontrol_specialty.aspx

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/whatsnew/newproducts.aspx
Note: Name changed/ Used to be called Standard Mini-Mag High Velocity Rn load

200RNL
06-18-11, 00:49
a Sim round is almost 500fps, and the old "Super Police" load with a 200gr bullet launched at similar speeds was well known to be very poor at putting bad guys down.

Don't know what a 60gr .22 can do but the soft tissue penetration of the 200gr Super Police, even at 600fps, must be considerable. I know it doesn't do well against automotive sheet metal though.

tpd223
06-18-11, 16:37
Don't know what a 60gr .22 can do but the soft tissue penetration of the 200gr Super Police, even at 600fps, must be considerable. I know it doesn't do well against automotive sheet metal though.

Does really poorly against bone as well.

PA PATRIOT
06-18-11, 19:06
I think if I was going to use a .22LR for last ditch defense because I ran out of every other caliber then I would most likely go with a high end Match load were the brand was known for stringent quality control. More so that any other factor I want that rim fire to go bang when I pull the trigger and have enough velocity to positively cycle the action. After that a standard lead or copper plated 40gr solid would be best for penetration. I would totally discount any expansion as it would only limit the already anemic cartridge penetration wise.

sinjinhawk
06-18-11, 20:08
I too have a Beretta 21A and it always feed reliably with Federal Champion 40gr ammo

Wicked
06-19-11, 20:42
Food for thought, I've never fired a .22 magnum, so I can't testify about it's report. However, you may consider a S&W 351 PD AirLite. Small, light, and a slightly more adequate round, with 7 shots, more reliable than a .22 autoloader.

Just food for thought.

I have a few thousand holster hours with this lil' piece. It's my carry as a back-up or when it absolutely must stay out of sight for sure. Super light, very compact and shoots right where it points. Other than it's stiff price tag, the fact it is LOUD and it does shoot a bit of a flame - I can't find much fault with it. The debate on trusting a rimfire for self defense is one I'm not going to play. If you don't; then don't. I have specific requirements and this pistol fills that bill. I'm very comfortable trusting my hide to it. YMMV

I only shoot the Winchester Supreme 34gr jacketed hollow point ammo. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10201358_425004001_425000000_425004000_425-4-1

DeathMetal
06-20-11, 10:38
In a must use .22LR situation I would stick with CCI Min-mags and Velocitors. They are proven reliable as any .22lr and hit hard enough to cause some damage.

Inuvik
06-21-11, 12:34
I work for a .gov that controls coyotes and beavers on a weekly basis using a .22LR RIFLE. Both of those animals rarely stop right away after direct hits to the vitals. The example of the "200 LB Methhead" and a 3" barrel would be concerning.

We exclusivelly use CCI Mini Mag solids. The SGB is great as well, but not as easy to find locally. The biggest concern in my opinion would be reliable cycling of the weapon since any round is going to be marginal on lethal performance.