PDA

View Full Version : Feeling old

RWBlue
06-11-11, 23:28
I am feeling old. :sad: I could have posted this in the general forum, but I assume the reloaders are the only ones that know this feeling.

I have been shooting the 300-221/300Whisper/300Fireball for long time. Now it is being picked up by remington/ACC.

All that time and energy spent working on loads with virtually no load data to work with. I formed cases, trimmed brass, had neck problems, had loads so light the gun didn't cycle, had loads so hot that they dumped the primer (the new primer wouldn't stay in the brass).

I did gel tests with bullet weights from 110gr-240gr.

I assume this is how the pioneers felt after civilization came out to them and ruined the neighborhood.:mad:

eightmillimeter
06-12-11, 00:27
Every once in a while the mainstream picks up on a cartridge we handloaders have been working on for a while... just enjoy it because it usually means your troubles with getting working brass and load data are over.

SeriousStudent
06-12-11, 00:48
My friend, I am sure the mountain men felt the same way, seeing that first wagon train coming over the Rockies.

I'm glad you have the company out there on the prairie. Maybe your price of components will decrease, and you can shoot even more.

See, they are just following your lead. :D

Safetyhit
06-12-11, 10:00
I have been shooting the 300-221/300Whisper/300Fireball for long time. Now it is being picked up by remington/ACC...

I assume this is how the pioneers felt after civilization came out to them and ruined the neighborhood.:mad:

I don't understand, what specifically is your issue? Being sentimental to a fault I can understand somewhat, but these things happen and you can surely continue with just what it was you were doing.

Or am I missing something?

RWBlue
06-12-11, 11:51
Or am I missing something?

They are killing my uniqueness. I will go from being that interesting guy with an interesting platform. To being just another guy shooting 300Blackout in a Franken-AR with scratches.

My gel tests will be superseded by commercial testing. (The fact that my tests disagree with the official tests are interested. But then again, we are working with different bullets, twist barrel......)

I assume this is how the old timers felt when NASCAR went from production cars to cars that look production, but are no where near what you can buy at the dealership.

I am not saying change is not good, but as an early adopter, I feel a little old, a little screwed, a little (I am missing a word here).

THEY STILL HAVE NOT FIXED THE SUBSONIC TERMINAL EFFECTS ISSUES. A 200-240gr SMK will slice through gel like a hot knife through butter, but real life animal tests say that this wound is not very terminal. The animal may just stand there looking at you unless you hit them in the CNS.

They need to develop a new FMJ-BT with a thin jacket, front end steel core, backend lead, with a deep cannelure with performance like the SS109 except at subsonic speeds.

I know why I made the compromises I made, but .....

markm
06-13-11, 11:53
Switch to 6.8 SPC if you want a round that will NEVER be accepted! :jester:

RWBlue
06-13-11, 16:17
Switch to 6.8 SPC if you want a round that will NEVER be accepted! :jester:

The 6.8 will never be as cool as the 300-221.

I think I know what I want in my next project.

Anyone want to sponsor me on a new cartridge venture?
I need a new barrel, dies, case gauges.....

It will work in an AR. It will do everything the 300-221 will do, but better.