PDA

View Full Version : Austin PD- Anyone here?

Belmont31R
06-12-11, 00:47
Looking for an Austin PD officer to contact me. Not anything to do with an open investigation, ticket, ect.

All correspondence will be confidential (only between you and I), and I am more looking towards recruiting questions and some information I gleaned after talking with a few recruits due to grad this year.

Just trying to help out some of your recruits who will be on the job by the end of this year, and want to point them in the right direction. I spent this night discussing CCW permits, and such. Not looking for any confrontational matter just what would you want me to do teach your guys that you will be working with, what weapons are allowed, CCW, ect. I already did a quick lesson on CCW today, and they had no clue about out of state permits, reciprocity, ect. They want to buy AR's, and I got them to listen to the mil spec speech. I need to know what Austin PD allows for privately purchased guns. One of these guys is a neighbor, and I want to direct them right without guys spending money on something they cant use on duty.

NinjaMedic
06-12-11, 01:20
Not APD but I provide medical support for a group of them. Their duty weapon is now required to be an M&P .40 for all new officers (not sure if they are issuing them yet) and soon to be required for existing officers as I understand. SWAT is issued the USP 40 currently, not sure if that will change or not. As far as patrol rifles it is pretty much left up to the officer's preference within a set of guidelines however they have to attend the patrol rifle class and regular patrol officers are supposedly forbidden from using a magnifying optic. If they are concerned about purchasing something which they could not use on duty send them to GT Distributors, they provide a majority of the weapons for APD officers, are well informed on the current policies, ad have fairly reasonable prices. Here is the patrol rifle requirements as of 2009:

III. Semi-Automatic Rifles

WEAPONS

AR-15, caliber 223/5.56, semi automatic rifle, manufactured under U.S. Military specifications (MILSPEC). All rifles must be “factory built” with matching upper and lower receivers. Barrels must be 16” or longer.

Approval to carry a specific rifle meeting these requirements will be made by the Commander of Training, or his designee.

Absolutely no BATF Class II or Class III weapons will be allowed to be
carried by any officer on-duty unless assigned to a specialized unit and upon approval from their commander.

WEAPONS DESCRIPTION

TYPE: Magazine fed, gas operated, semi automatic.

CALIBER: .223/5.56

BARREL LENGTH: 16” or longer unless otherwise approved by the
Commander of Training, or his designee.

WEAPON CONTROLS: (i.e.) magazine release, safety, bolt release,
charging handle, dust cover. (Right and Left
hand controls allowed).
Must be of the same configuration and location
as the Colt AR-15.

SIGHTS: The officer’s rifle must be equipped with a front
and rear iron sight. The officer’s weapon must
also be equipped with at least one sighting
system designed to aim the weapon during a
low or no light situation. (The following are
examples, but are not limited to: Trijicon night
sites, Aimpoint optic, EOTech, ACOG).

Hope that helps but I will tell you that in Austin, as in any large city, we have a well developed bureaucracy and they will be given all of the information they need within reason by the end of their probation in order to be successful as an officer. If there is something more they wish to pursue such as additional firearms training that is something they can initiate after their probation. I know your intentions are well however you may do them more harm than good.

Just a thought.

Belmont31R
06-12-11, 08:54
Im not trying to teach him how to be a police officer...just that Ive also talked with a Wilco deputy before, and he didn't know about reciprocity, either. I carry on an out of state permit, and I keep a copy of the reciprocity list from the state AG website in my car. If he gets taught this later on so be it. All I really mentioned was for them to go to the state AG website, and read up on CCW, where ranges are at around here, which ones are good and bad, and if they want to go shooting they are welcome to meet me there and put some rounds downrange. I was just curious as to what they would be allowed to buy on their own, and just sending them to GT might end up causing them to be carrying around a less than ideal choice of rifle. The last time I was there I saw a guy pay over $1200 for a Bushmaster with a rail. Trying to avoid that type of thing, and Im not trying to be a firearms trainer. Just basic familiarity.

Thanks for the info...:)