PDA

View Full Version : Head twisted off screw for scope mount

platoonDaddy
06-12-11, 15:37
Friend dropped his AR off yesterday and when removing the scope and mounts for sale, he twisted off the head of two screws. We were able to grab one with a needle nose pliers and remove, but the 2nd guy is being a son-of-a-whore, unable to grab with any pair of pliers in our inventory.

As you are aware the screw is 'small' and we didn't want to try an easyout. Is there a gunsmith tool that might be able to get a bite of the screw? Or do we need to visit a gunsmith?

Thanks

MarshallDodge
06-12-11, 15:43
You could try a reverse/left handed drill bit. I would center punch the middle of what is left and then try the drill. The drill will try to back out the screw when it starts to bite into the metal.

austinN4
06-12-11, 17:30
You might get more responses in the Optics & Mounts section:
http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Good luck!

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-12-11, 17:39
Can you run another screw in from the other end? Some times a little pressure from the other side helps to free them up. Maybe you can even use and easy out from that side. What kind of rings are they?

platoonDaddy
06-12-11, 17:40
You could try a reverse/left handed drill bit. I would center punch the middle of what is left and then try the drill. The drill will try to back out the screw when it starts to bite into the metal.

Is a drill press required? If so, we don't have one.

Austin, great point on the Optics & Mounts section, never thought of that. Since the thread is started here, I will ride it out.

thanks guys

ucrt
06-12-11, 17:57
Is a drill press required? If so, we don't have one.

=================================

I've used a LH Bit several times and always just used a hand drill. At work, it seems screws break at inopportune places or they won't fit in a drill press.
But center punching is pretty important to get started in the center to stay drilling down the center of the screw.

I always used a little Kroil too. As a matter of fact, I don't think I have ever used a LH bit without letting it soak in Kroil a while. I think when using the LH bit, it works because of the combination of the constant LH torque, heat, and the Kroil.

platoonDaddy
06-12-11, 20:22
Can you run another screw in from the other end? Some times a little pressure from the other side helps to free them up. Maybe you can even use and easy out from that side. What kind of rings are they?

My bad - should have read the screws for the Weaver-style base

Thomas M-4
06-12-11, 20:34
Are you tying to save the mount?

A picture might be helpful.

platoonDaddy
06-13-11, 14:54
Are you tying to save the mount?

A picture might be helpful.

For sure a picture is worth a thousands words. Called my friend and he said I got frustrated and gave to gunsmith.

So thank you guys for your assistance.