PDA

View Full Version : Bulk ammo?

oboe
06-12-11, 17:22
It appears that bulk ammo - meaning, sold in bags of 100 rds - can be less expensive that the same ammo in a 50 rd box. Is there a reason I would NOT want to buy that bulk ammo?

davidz71
06-12-11, 17:31
I've seen vendors at gun shows breaking down cases of 223 PMC 55 gr. FMJ in their 20 round boxes into 100 round ziplock bags. They were priced slightly lower than 5 boxes of 20. I've purchased several of these 100 rd. baggies and have never had a problem. I've not tried any of the handgun ammo though.

polymorpheous
06-12-11, 17:33
If you suspect that these "bulk" bags are reloads, stay away from it.

platoonDaddy
06-12-11, 17:43
In my opinion, places such as http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/ and others have a great price on bulk ammo.

Personally I would never purchase ammo from unknown source bagged in zip lock baggies.

KhanRad
06-12-11, 17:43
If you suspect that these "bulk" bags are reloads, stay away from it.

+1

Never trust someone elses reloads.

ucrt
06-12-11, 18:06
It appears that bulk ammo - meaning, sold in bags of 100 rds - can be less expensive that the same ammo in a 50 rd box. Is there a reason I would NOT want to buy that bulk ammo?

===================================

I don't think a quantitiy of 100 is "bulk". To me, a box of 1000 is bulk but I have seen boxes of 500 called bulk, especially on the more expensive loads.

I think gun show dealers do bags because it looks like a larger amount than a box. All that shiny brass and copper...just marketing.

+1 on not buying no-name reloads. The only "reloads" I have shot in the past 5-years has been Black Hills Blue Box Re-Manufactured and I don't really consider that a reload and it is defineitely not no-name stuff.

But maybe it's just me...