PDA

View Full Version : T1 vs Eotech

Logicalpath
06-12-11, 18:54
Currently I run an Aimpoint T1 on my Colt and have about 2,500 through it. It's a great RDS & after watching the Daniel Defense video I was even more impressed. That said, today I was running some drills with a buddy who has an EoTech on one of his AR's. I found that I was significantly quicker on my target acquisition. I am righty & left eye dominant which causes me all kinds of issues with my shooting. As a result the bigger RD image seems to help with that issue.

My question is how durable is the EoTech? I see that DaveNC had an issue with his but I also read some feedback about Marines not having issues over 5 tours. Is there anything I should take into consideration that I may not have realized because of limited use with it(about 100 rounds fired using the EoTech)?

*The "no free lunch" guys please don't flame my feedback request. I'm merely trying to avoid spending more money on something that may have issues discovered by other M4C users.

beavo451
06-12-11, 19:36
What is your intended use? I have heard and seen too many failures of the EOTechs. Aside from that, my biggest problem with EOTech is the need to actually turn it on before use.

Logicalpath
06-12-11, 19:38
What is your intended use? I have heard and seen too many failures of the EOTechs. Aside from that, my biggest problem with EOTech is the need to actually turn it on before use.

Primarily home defense, carbine courses and local competitive matches.

Abraxas
06-12-11, 19:47
I have both an eotech and an aimpoint. While I prefer the eo's reticule, the aimpoint is superior in every other way. Trust me, the reticule preference is only slight. I would go with the aimpoint.

cop1211
06-12-11, 20:02
If the Eotech works better for you get one. Keep the T1, after you put some rounds through the Eotech decide which one fits your needs then sell the other. The newer line of Eotech (xps) dont have as many issues as the older ones with breakage or battery issues.

I had an Eotech that was issued to me for SWAT, I think it was the 512, around 7 years ago, used it for 2 years, didnt like the reticle and battery life sucked. I bought my own, switched to the Aimpoint M4s and the TR24 triangle.

Jeff Franz
06-12-11, 20:31
I've owned both, and I no longer own anything made by Eotech. I've had too many go down on me and seen too many shit the bed in classes and competitions to put one on my rifle.

Doesn't mean all Eotechs are crap, doesn't mean someone is a moron, looser, etc. for running one. Based on my personal experiences, I am of the opinion that it does mean an Eotech is more likely to be troublesome than an Aimpoint.

Will488
06-12-11, 21:02
I own an XPS and a Comp ML3. I’m also right handed but left eye dominate so I feel your pain:p. I’m a firm believer that there is very little proper training can’t fix. I find the eotech is easier with my deformity, but for home defense milliseconds matter so I would stick with the aimpoint and its insane battery life. In my opinion both are fantastic optics. Good luck.

Hmac
06-12-11, 21:05
I own both a T1 and a few Eotechs. Frankly I prefer the Eotechs, certainly the XPS/EXPS series, by a pretty substantial margin. I don't really care for the small tube (more difficult dot acquisition IME), the dot is 4MOA (and comma-shaped), and in some lighting conditions it has some annoying internal reflections (red "shadowing"). I wouldn't mind if the Eotech were lighter, but I don't have to hump the rifle all day long so it's no big deal to me. Battery life?...irrelevant for my use. I'm sure the T1 is robust, and no doubt it's well-made. I do have a buddy who had battery contact issues with his Eotech 512, but I've never had an issue with any of the newer transverse-battery models.

If battery life is important to you, look at the Aimpoint PRO. Frankly, I still prefer the Eotechs over that model too, but YMMV.

Kahlendrrari
06-12-11, 21:47
Eotechs are pretty durable, I dropped my rifle topped with a 557 on some concrete from about 7ft. (had it propped up on the banister to the deck) besides making a bunch of racket, and bouncing all over the place the EOTech survived, the hood need to be replaced, but that is what the hood is made for

Logicalpath
06-12-11, 22:34
I own an XPS and a Comp ML3. I’m also right handed but left eye dominate so I feel your pain:p. I’m a firm believer that there is very little proper training can’t fix. I find the eotech is easier with my deformity, but for home defense milliseconds matter so I would stick with the aimpoint and its insane battery life. In my opinion both are fantastic optics. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback, I was really surprised at how much easier it was with "the issue"(lol). But I'm glad I posted this thread, I guess I'll be sticking with the Aimpoint. Thanks for all the feedback guys, I appreciate the input.

Dave_M
06-13-11, 15:25
the hood need to be replaced, but that is what the hood is made for

Yup.

This one resulted from a 200+pound LEO falling with his rifle directly on the hood. Still managed to crack the glass though

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/DavePAL84/projects/EoTech1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/DavePAL84/projects/EoTech2.jpg

IZinterrogator
06-14-11, 07:31
Primarily home defense, carbine courses and local competitive matches.Your intended uses kind of conflict with each other as to which would probably be preferred. For home defense, the Aimpoint is better due to not having to turn it off. For carbine courses, the high round counts would cause issues on the old AA model EOTechs, but not on the transverse-battery XPSes, EXPSes, or Aimpoints. For competition, it's all personal preference, but I prefer the EOTech there for speed.

Singlestack Wonder
06-14-11, 08:43
It would be interesting to see an Eotech go thru the same testing...

https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest

Watrdawg
06-14-11, 08:52
I have an Eotech 553 and the Aimpoint T1. I like the reticle of the Eotech and how fast it is to put on target. As others have said the battery life sucks compared to the Aimpoint. All things considered it really isn't that bad. The weight was my main issue with the Eotech. I switched to the T1 mainly for that reason. Battery life is awesome and I keep my sight on always. I wish Eotech would come out with a sight that had the battery life of the Aimpoint or Aimpoint came out with a reticle like the Eotech.

Dave_M
06-14-11, 21:59
It would be interesting to see an Eotech go thru the same testing...

https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest

Standby :D

(Okay, 'similar' not 'same')

Wolfhound86
12-28-13, 20:17
I used an Eotech for 4 years in a 11B unit, so I used in the worst conditions possible and I never had any problems with it. That being said I now use a T1 because I don't have to worry about turning it on and the T1s smaller size. Though I do prefer the Eotech over the M68, so I guess the Micro's size make it more appealing.

Boba Fett v2
12-29-13, 09:23
OP, the newer EOTech XPS/EXPS line addressed the shortcomings of the earlier models, so you should be GTG if you should decide to pick one up. WRT durability, I would trust my life to my EXPS if it came down to it. You should really check out this torture test conducted by a member here: EOTech XPS Torture Test (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?83558-EOTech-XPS-torture-test-%28pics%29) I chose EOTech over Aimpoint for the same reason you're considering it, and I have no regrets. I've used EOTech, Aimpoint, Trijicon, and ELCAN on active duty..

Ryno12
12-29-13, 10:24
This thread is 2.5 years old...

Sent via Tapatalk