PDA

View Full Version : 'Thank My Lucky Stars,' Officer Says

Jay Cunningham
10-17-07, 03:50
PHOENIX -- A Phoenix police officer shot point blank in the chest said he credits his vest and law enforcement training for saving his life.

Officer Bret Glidewell was shot Sunday after pulling over a 1998 Chevrolet S-10 pickup around 5 p.m. for running a stop sign near 32nd Street and Sweetwater Avenue.

"Something about the traffic stop gave me a gut feeling that something is not right," Glidewell told reporters on Tuesday.

"Because of that, I changed my tactics a little," he said.

Police said the driver, identified as Jose Abel Cabrera-Somosa, 35, stuck a .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol out the window.

"As I approached, before any words were said, before anything, the occupant looked over and turned his body," Glidewell said.

"I saw the muzzle flash. I knew I was hit," he recalled.

Police said Cabrera-Somosa fired one shot at Glidewell as he was walking up to the truck, hitting him right above the heart.

"To me, it felt like someone shoved me in the chest.," Glidewell said.

"My concern was, 'This guy fired a gun. I need to stop this person from hurting other people,'" he said.

Glidewell's vest stopped the bullet.

"I'm trying to back pedal to my squard car and all the while returning fire," he said.

"It happened so fast there was no time to be scared," Glidewell said.

Police used a GPS tracker in Cabrera-Somosa's cell phone to track him to a home near Seventh Avenue and Loop 101, where he had been living for the past three months with 10 other people.

Cabrera-Somosa was arrested at the home around 11:30 p.m. and booked for investigation of attempted first-degree murder of a law enforcement officer and misconduct involving weapons.

Police found an S-10 pickup backed into the driveway of the home with what appeared to be two bullet holes in the rear window. The license plate associated with the shooting was found inside the truck, according to police; a different plate was affixed to the vehicle.

Police: Suspect Denies Involvement

Police said Cabrera-Somosa denied involvement in the shooting, telling investigators he had loaned the pickup to an acquaintance named Julio. Cabrera-Somosa told police Julio returned the pickup with bullet holes in the window that he could not explain.

Cabrera-Somosa said he was surprised to learn the license plate on the pickup had been switched.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials said Cabrera-Somosa is an illegal immigrant who claimed he is from El Salvador. Cabrera was caught in the United States in 2001 and he voluntarily returned to Mexico, police said.

Cabrera-Somosa was denied bond because of his illegal status, because he has no known employer and because he allegedly shot a police officer.

Police records show he was cited for traffic violations in August of 2003. He received one criminal citation for failure to provide driver license or evidence of identity. He also received four civil citations. His fingerprints and a photo were taken for identification purposes. Cabrera-Somosa was cited and released, police said.

Officers said he was again cited in October 2003 for three civil traffic violations and released. According to the City of Phoenix Court, he addressed the citations with the court.

Police said it's still unclear why he opened fire on Glidewell. Officers said they have not located any arrest warrants for the man.

Glidewell said he can't wait to get back to his job.

"I love my job and I want to get back. I'm good to go," he said.

:D :D :D :D :D

Shihan
10-17-07, 04:45
Its becoming like LA hee or worse. We have had too many LEO's(1 is too many) here recently and this illegal thing is going to come to a boil sooner or later.