PDA

View Full Version : Building my first rifle for IPSC

9MX
10-17-07, 06:05
I'm a total newbie and am currently building my rifle specifically for IPSC competition . I recently bought a slightly used upper with the following specs:

Upper - DPMS upper receiver, Olympic Arms for bolt and 16 inch barrel, flashider was made my a top gunsmith here in Manila.

Lower - DPMS parts kit, JP trigger

I plan to mount an ACOG TA01NSN and a Docter sight on a YHM offset mount on this upper

However, a veteran local IPSC rifle shooter whom I recently started to hang is urging me to replace my upper with the following:

WOA 16inch SS midlength barrel
STAG upper receiver (M4 feedramp variant)
Colt/Elisco Bolt carrier
Troy Industries free float handguard
Geissele Trigger kit
Millet DMS-1 Optics

I have to sell the items I previously acquired to get the new stuff.

My question is, should proceed with the reconfiguration?:confused:

Robb Jensen
10-17-07, 06:14
I'm a total newbie and am currently building my rifle specifically for IPSC competition . I recently bought a slightly used upper with the following specs:

Upper - DPMS upper receiver, Olympic Arms for bolt and 16 inch barrel, flashider was made my a top gunsmith here in Manila.

Lower - DPMS parts kit, JP trigger

I plan to mount an ACOG TA01NSN and a Docter sight on a YHM offset mount on this upper

However, a veteran local IPSC rifle shooter whom I recently started to hang is urging me to replace my upper with the following:

WOA 16inch SS midlength barrel
STAG upper receiver (M4 feedramp variant)
Colt/Elisco Bolt carrier
Troy Industries free float handguard
Geissele Trigger kit
Millet DMS-1 Optics

I have to sell the items I previously acquired to get the new stuff.

My question is, should proceed with the reconfiguration?:confused:

The WOA barrels are excellent as are Colt carriers, Geissele triggers and the Millet scope is good for it's price for a 'economy' scope. I'd go with a JP VTAC FF tube and a Daniel Defense upper receiver. IMHO a variable scope is better for 3gun/multigun. An ACOG is a fixed power optic, a decent variable like a 1-4x MeOpta or 1.5-5x is a better choice (the MR/T Leupold with SPR reticle is great). Since you already have a good carrier (Colt) I would get a BCM bolt.

9MX
10-17-07, 09:22
gotm4,

thanks! i was really hoping to get your feedback. :)

i agree on the attractive price of the dms-1, though i've read a lot of negative feedback on quality.

i'm gonna take a look at the meopta (w/k-dot)

Robb Jensen
10-17-07, 09:28
gotm4,

thanks! i was really hoping to get your feedback. :)

i agree on the attractive price of the dms-1, though i've read a lot of negative feedback on quality.

i'm gonna take a look at the meopta (w/k-dot)

If I ever switch from the Leupold I have it'll be for a MeOpta or a S&B Short Dot.

9MX
10-25-07, 11:50
If I ever switch from the Leupold I have it'll be for a MeOpta or a S&B Short Dot.

I'm going for a Meopta K-dot and plan to use Warne Scope Rings on a GG&G Scout Rail. Do you have an idea as to what scope ring heigh I should get for the scope to clear a Troy BUIS? TIA

Robb Jensen
10-25-07, 12:26
I'm going for a Meopta K-dot and plan to use Warne Scope Rings on a GG&G Scout Rail. Do you have an idea as to what scope ring heigh I should get for the scope to clear a Troy BUIS? TIA

Medium height should be fine.

9MX
11-09-07, 09:04
gotm4,

i finallly got a meopta kdot. however, i also have docter sight and a yhm offset mount. does it make sense to use it as a secondary optic?

Robb Jensen
11-10-07, 16:14
gotm4,

i finallly got a meopta kdot. however, i also have docter sight and a yhm offset mount. does it make sense to use it as a secondary optic?

It'll put you in open class at sanctioned USPSA multigun matches but if that's fine it is great and VERY fast. Sight it in for POA/POI at 15yds.

9MX
11-20-07, 09:29
gotm4,

thanks, i'd be competing in ipsc format as i'm based in manila, philippines:cool:

Robb Jensen
11-20-07, 12:16
gotm4,

thanks, i'd be competing in ipsc format as i'm based in manila, philippines:cool:

I totally didn't see that.........DOH! Well I guess you'll be in Open class anyway, as there isn't a Tactical division just Open and Standard, page 54. http://www.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesRifle.pdf

9MX
11-21-07, 08:37
I totally didn't see that.........DOH! Well I guess you'll be in Open class anyway, as there isn't a Tactical division just Open and Standard, page 54. http://www.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesRifle.pdf

no problem:) thanks!!