PDA

View Full Version : Dump Pouch for KISS Kit

OldState
06-13-11, 13:11
I am attending my second carbine class (Carbine II) at a local club and want to run as simple as possible. In my last class I went with 2 kydex mag pouches and an instructor belt (thanks Grant). I was gtg but the next class will be more intense and have a higher round count. Also, I'll be taking a pistol.

The only thing I thought may help is a dump pouch. I've read some reviews here but do not have actual experience with any. Any suggestions for good quality but simple solution?

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-13-11, 13:29
What does the instructor recomend? I have a dump pouch that I use for 2 diffrent applications that are dependent on the weapons system I am employing. If Im running my shotgun the dump pouch is used for ammo. If im running a carbine then its for spent mags. If you need to carry more ammo on your persons than 2 spare mags you have a few options.

Add more pouches to your belt. Instal a redi mag system or suplement your belt with some sort of LBV or chest worn mag carrier. If you live near me in NY i can even let you barrow one.

Jon

High Tower
06-13-11, 13:56
I like the Blue Force Gear dump pouch. They have some other term for it, but that's what it is.

The nice thing about it is that when you don't need it, you can tuck it in under the elastic part of it. When you need it, just pull the tab and you have a pouch.

It is not as large or rugged as some others, but I have yet to have it be inadequate or tear. It also has a drawstring top.

markm
06-13-11, 14:12
I like my Maxpedition. Very tough with all the features.... although I've never found a dump pouch of much use in class. I just use cargo pockets to store mags.

OldState
06-13-11, 15:22
although I've never found a dump pouch of much use in class. I just use cargo pockets to store mags.

Thats what I planned on but an instructor told me at the last class I would probably want one for the next class.

That being said, this instructor was using a lot of gear. This instructor also had his gun choke 2x (FTE and failure to go into battery if I remember) while doing a demonstration. The funny part was he had just been harping on how you don't need to clean your weapon frequently and he had not in 4000 rounds:rolleyes: .......

soooo I thought I would ask here.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-13-11, 15:27
can we ask who the instructor is?

markm
06-13-11, 15:50
The funny part was he had just been harping on how you don't need to clean your weapon frequently and he had not in 4000 rounds:rolleyes: .......

I've never had an instructor preach that before. :eek:

OldState
06-13-11, 15:53
can we ask who the instructor is?

He is not a big name instructor or anything like that and you would not know him so there is no point in naming name him here. It is a course sponsored by a local club

In fairness to him, I believe this is just one of his rifles that he is trying to prove a point with (he did preach proper lubrication). I just mentioned it because I think this "don't clean your rifle" stuff goes way overboard sometimes and confuses new shooters. I also thought it was ironic.

calicojack
06-13-11, 15:59
you can't get much more KISS than the emdom fixed dump pouch. it's just..... there. nothing to undo, nothing to unroll. if you need to, and it's empty, you can sit/lay on it.

the OSOE is bomb-proof, but it's a)fixed and b)not crushable (if you like that design, look at the drop leg version)

then you get into all the roll up versions. you have the long roll up versions (csm, dbt, tag, blackhawk) and then the fold and rolls like ats, maxpedition, and >choke< egl.

markm
06-13-11, 16:09
In fairness to him, I believe this is just one of his rifles that he is trying to prove a point with (he did preach proper lubrication).

That makes sense.

BBJones13
06-13-11, 16:21
I would stick with what worked for you the last time. Maybe add an extra magazine to your belt and fill your pockets too. Or get a really simple chest rig. Decide if you were missing something by not having a dump pouch. I doubt it.

wahoo95
06-13-11, 16:37
During classes I am able to run (3) AR Mag Pouches and (2) Pistol Mag pouches on my belt and have never had an issue. I really like the ones made by Kytex and Ready Tactical as both designs take up very little belt space, are durable, and easy to get on and off. Nice thing about this set up is that I can carry 2 extra mags most times and simply add another for high round count drills without having to wear a heavy chest rig all day. I did the chest rig thing for a class and realized I could get by easier with some belt mounted mags.

http://www.kytexgear.com/AR15.html

http://www.skdtac.com/Ready_Tactical_AR15_Mag_Pouch_p/rdt.110.htm

tnt1106
06-13-11, 19:09
I went with an EGL Loopy Dump Pouch. when closed it takes up almost no space. Opens easy enough one handed.

http://www.skdtac.com/EGL_Loppy_Dump_Pouch_p/e1x.301.htm

Backstop
06-13-11, 19:45
Thats what I planned on but an instructor told me at the last class I would probably want one for the next class.

Before I go to a class, I always ask questions, and generally do what the instr said/suggested.

I figure I'm giving him money to teach me stuff, so I may as well go whole hog, and learn - and try - what he's selling.

What's he's selling may, or may not work for me.

But the whole point in going - at least for me - is to try.

I use the Maxpedition #0208 Rolly Polly.

drtywk
06-13-11, 23:10
you can't get much more KISS than the emdom fixed dump pouch. it's just..... there. nothing to undo, nothing to unroll. if you need to, and it's empty, you can sit/lay on it.

the OSOE is bomb-proof, but it's a)fixed and b)not crushable (if you like that design, look at the drop leg version)

then you get into all the roll up versions. you have the long roll up versions (csm, dbt, tag, blackhawk) and then the fold and rolls like ats, maxpedition, and >choke< egl.

What's wrong with the EGL pouch? I have found it to be useful, but to each his own.

When it comes down to it, use what works best for you. However, the mission drives the gear and if your primary focus is home defense, the floor of your house or your yard are the best places for spent mags. I have found that the same goes for the ground at the range during training. Mag retention goes out the window when rounds are flying both directions.

calicojack
06-14-11, 03:16
What's wrong with the EGL pouch? I have found it to be useful, but to each his own.

nothing to my knowledge. if you know the history, great; if not, i'm not going to rehash it.

30 cal slut
06-14-11, 06:47
ah, maxpedition works for me.

ChristisKing
06-14-11, 07:03
http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-tactical-medium-drop-pouch.html

I bought this one in dark earth and I think it's worked well. I've taken one carbine course with it and sometimes I throw shotgun shells in it for three gun matches. It's easy to attach to to molle belts and I beleive it's well built. Don't get caught on a big name for this item as it's just a bag that fold up and down with velcro.

Failure2Stop
06-14-11, 08:02
I like the MM/Emdom dumper.
I can't say it's better than every other dump pouch ever, but it fits my needs.

Really though, cargo pockets work just fine, and about 40% of the time I just stuff empty mags in my pockets and forgo the dumper.

Many of the dump pouches you see on the market today are made for the range, not for fights.

ChristisKing
06-14-11, 08:37
So how many fights have we all been in, and does that mean that our dump pouches that survive two day carbine courses will simply fall apart if we enter into a real gun fight?

Failure2Stop
06-14-11, 08:46
So how many fights have we all been in, and does that mean that our dump pouches that survive two day carbine courses will simply fall apart if we enter into a real gun fight?

No, it means that they are larger than they need to be and people stuff so many mags into them that they can't assume basic positions and somehow think that they are an essential part of this balanced breakfast. Dump pouches evolved on the range, not as a dire necessity during a fight. There's a reason that I said that pockets work.

BTW- the attitude is completely unnecessary and unappreciated.

rudy99
06-14-11, 10:56
I like the MM/Emdom dumper.
I can't say it's better than every other dump pouch ever, but it fits my needs.

Really though, cargo pockets work just fine, and about 40% of the time I just stuff empty mags in my pockets and forgo the dumper.

Many of the dump pouches you see on the market today are made for the range, not for fights.

Not that I'm the most experienced person here, but I generally agree with F2S's comments above. I ran 2 kydex pouches on a belt and a CSM mini dump pouch (http://www.csmgear.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=minidrop&cat=10&page=1&search=&since=&status=) at a rifle class I took at CSAT and it turned out to be a great combo. The size of the pouch was exactly what I wanted, which was basically a place to put my first mag to be loaded and then a place to stick 2 or so empty mags. That being said, cargo pockets would have probably worked just as good. Plus, I found the dump pouch to be a pain to get off and on the back of my belt (I had mine mounted at 6-7 o'clock to keep it out of the way when going prone). In that regard, to me it is more of a range tool of convenience than something I would consider 1st line gear.

FWIW, I asked Paul Howe something about dump pouches when he was discussing used mag storage and he basically didn't care for them and said once you get a few things in the bag and start moving.....clankity clank, you sound like a tank.

ChristisKing
06-14-11, 11:01
The pouch I posted is a medium and not very large. I'm sorry to call you out on your comment but I have to assume you speak from experience if you are going to poo poo on the pouches all together and you make mention of combat as if it is a fact that they will not work during combat. I know that Murphys law applies to everything in life so yeah you could be right.
I get that cargo pockets work but I've also heard of cargo pockets ripping out due to whatever has been shoved in them in a hurry.
So I guess we can just agree to disagree.

Dave L.
06-14-11, 11:06
The pouch I posted is a medium and not very large. I'm sorry to call you out on your comment but I have to assume you speak from experience if you are going to poo poo on the pouches all together and you make mention of combat as if it is a fact that they will not work during combat. I know that Murphys law applies to everything in life so yeah you could be right.
I get that cargo pockets work but I've also heard of cargo pockets ripping out due to whatever has been shoved in them in a hurry.
So I guess we can just agree to disagree.

Did you even read anything F2S wrote?

militarymoron
06-14-11, 11:51
ChristisKing - as dave L pointed out, READ what F2S wrote, as you're arguing with him based on your misinterpretation of his post.

markm
06-14-11, 15:42
Dump pouches evolved on the range, not as a dire necessity during a fight.

Exactly. I bought one years back thinking it would be helpful... and never really used it once.

Now I just take it on the rare bird hunting trip to carry my game birds...

ra2bach
06-14-11, 17:05
http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-tactical-medium-drop-pouch.html

I bought this one in dark earth and I think it's worked well. I've taken one carbine course with it and sometimes I throw shotgun shells in it for three gun matches. It's easy to attach to to molle belts and I beleive it's well built. Don't get caught on a big name for this item as it's just a bag that fold up and down with velcro.

I'll agree with this as I have a couple of these and they work well for what I paid.

I got the M and the XL on closeout from the same place as I thought I'd need one for pistol mags and one for carbine mags. the XL is way too large and ended up trading it for a L off to someone who is using it for an evidence collection bag.

in theory, the L should be great but I find the M to work better for everything. it also doubles as a nice place to put a 1/2 liter bottle of water to take to the line with you...

titsonritz
06-15-11, 04:50
I have been very pleased with my O.S.O.E. dump pouch. I have the pistol mag/chem-light version. It can be attached to PALS on a war belt or rig or used as a subload and is very tough.

http://originalsoegear.com/dump.html