PDA

View Full Version : Optics question

RRMan03
06-13-11, 21:45
I have just purchased a Colt HBAR Flat Top rifle and am lookig for good optics package for it. I would like suggestions form people who know far more than I about this setup. All suggestions appreciated and thanks for your time.

06-13-11, 21:50
What do you intend the primary purpose of the rifle to be?

cj5_dude
06-13-11, 22:23
If you don't need or require any magnification then I'd go with anything with the name Aimpoint on it. Some people really love the micro's, some love the M2, M3, M4. Just depends on what you need.

Then you get to pick between mounting heights, absolute co-witness and lower 1/3rd are the two most popular. I personally don't like the lower 1/3rd, it just doesn't work for me. So I think you should play around with other people's before you buy your own.

RRMan03
06-13-11, 22:54
I will need it to be decent out to 300 if possible. Definitely need it to be good to 100-150. This is not going to be used for close quarters. Its going to be a target/varmit style rifle. As heavy as it is its not going to be a good carry weapon but I do expect with a little work on my part it should be a pretty good shooter after I find the ammo it likes.With a decent scope 300 should be pretty reasonable and 100 -150 should be pretty good wit ha decent scope and the right ammo.I should have mentioned the yardage to start with. The Red Dots are great for up close but not much for longer ranges. I definitely need something with a Bullet Drop Compensator set for the .223 Nato round.

RRMan03
06-13-11, 22:57
That was a very good question and I should have described it better in my original post. Just got to get used to the thought of the rifle being used in Close Quarters. I have always been a long range rifle shooter so I just forgot to explain it.Thanks for asking and your time.

sgtjosh
06-14-11, 01:18
Agreed. 1/3rd lower co-witness is the most comfortable for me. I'm about 6' 2" and I understand height may play a role in it. I have an Aimpoint PRO. If you can get your hands on one, it's a solid buy @ $400.

+1 on the Aimpoint PRO!

Failure2Stop
06-14-11, 11:44
What is your budget?
What size targets do you need to hit at 300?
What type of optics have you used in the past?
What is your experience level with the optics you have used?

Singlestack Wonder
06-14-11, 12:16
Hey moderators:

I suggest we post a "sticky" thread entitled, "I have a new rifle. What optic should I get?". Within the post will be a list of questions for the OP to view such as, "What is the rifle going to be used for?", etc. ;)

RRMan03
06-14-11, 12:35
I have a lot of experience having hunted all over the world. I just do not know much about the newer AR's as the one I carried was about 40 years ago in a jungle.I wanted the gun to be better than I am so paper plates at 300 with good optics if the gun is capable.Yes I can shoot better than most. I am not a close quarters combat experienced person. My shooting is all from 50 to 500 yards..223 to 416 Rem. Mag.Best long ranger gun I own is a custom 300 Wby.I am just trying to get my AR up to speed equipment wise for target shooting and maybe some coyotes. If I knew the answers I would not be asking the questions. I appreciate all help and do not pay attention to anyone who gives a smart ass answer. If thats all they have to do I know where they are in life.I am trying to gather info, nothing less nothing more.

Singlestack Wonder
06-14-11, 12:53
Use the "Search" function and you will find a multitude of threads with this same topic.

JSantoro
06-14-11, 13:15
I'm thinking that a lo-power fixed mag or a 1-4x variable of one brand or another. I'm not reading you as the kind of guy that wants to fiddle-f**k with a flip-aside magnifier and an RDS.

For the first, you get a BDC in whichever variant of the Trijicon TA33 you'd prefer. Small, relatively light, offers a lot in tems of a GP optic. Not so great 50m and it, but functional, great at the middle-distance, more the shooter than the optic with 400m+. Relatively spendy, though, which may or may not be a concern.

For the second, which I think better satisfies your ranging requirements from a capabilies standpoint, there's lots of them that offer a BDC reticle of one sort or another. Lots of monetary tiers in the 1-4x option, too. Here's a thread that shows A LOT of them, soup-to-nuts, from 2006 to present: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=104

EDIT: Good Lord, that thing's dense! But there's some gold in it...

Alaskapopo
06-14-11, 18:50
I will need it to be decent out to 300 if possible. Definitely need it to be good to 100-150. This is not going to be used for close quarters. Its going to be a target/varmit style rifle. As heavy as it is its not going to be a good carry weapon but I do expect with a little work on my part it should be a pretty good shooter after I find the ammo it likes.With a decent scope 300 should be pretty reasonable and 100 -150 should be pretty good wit ha decent scope and the right ammo.I should have mentioned the yardage to start with. The Red Dots are great for up close but not much for longer ranges. I definitely need something with a Bullet Drop Compensator set for the .223 Nato round.

I would recommend a Burris TAC 30 1-4 scope, if you can afford more get a Meopta 1-4. If you can afford the best get a Swarovski Z6i 1-6x scope.
Pat

Singlestack Wonder
06-14-11, 19:51
RRman03:

A search for "Which Optic" from the top search function results in 100pages of results (which you may or may not find helpful in your quest). I apologize if you took exception to my previous post suggesting the search function. :agree:

RRMan03
06-17-11, 19:40
Thanks all for the input.

Failure2Stop
06-17-11, 21:06
RR- if you had given us some more info we could have done a lot more for you.
My post earlier was not rhetorical.
What is your budget and what do you want to hit?