PDA

View Full Version : Hey FreeFloat guys...Which gas block

BCmJUnKie
06-14-11, 00:10
Im gonna be running a gas block on the SBR. What do you guys prefer. Ive heard some speculation on the clamp on style moving or set screws backing out, however...it always seems to happen to
"my friend" or "this guy I know".

Im thinking the Noveske or LaRue but Im open to seggestions and havent ruled any out. Thanks

CoryCop25
06-14-11, 00:20
I like the looks of the LaRue but they are hard to find in stock. It is also going to depend on what hand guard you are using. I was using a mil spec micro gas block but since Daniel Defense started making their lite rails piston friendly, the only micro gas block that fits under it without any grinding is the gas block from spike's tactical. I like gas blocks with screws on the bottom so that I can dimple the barrel, locktite the threads and stake the holes. It adds extra protection from backing out when pinning is not available.

BCmJUnKie
06-14-11, 00:43
Ya sorry, it will be the Troy TRX.

CoryCop25
06-14-11, 00:51
Personally, spending the coin a LaRue gas block costs when it is going to be hidden under a rail is not worth it. I just installed a mil spec micro gas block on a TRX the other day. It cost $23.00. I dimpled the barrel, thread locked the bolts and then staked it. Rock solid and it had good clearance. A LaRue would look great on a rifle set up where the gas block would be in front of the hand guard and visible.

Iraqgunz
06-14-11, 01:09
Does the barrel in question have a fixed FSB? If so, I recommend having it chopped, grinded and refinished. You could even do it yourself.

Im gonna be running a gas block on the SBR. What do you guys prefer. Ive heard some speculation on the clamp on style moving or set screws backing out, however...it always seems to happen to
"my friend" or "this guy I know".

Im thinking the Noveske or LaRue but Im open to seggestions and havent ruled any out. Thanks

BCmJUnKie
06-14-11, 01:15
Does the barrel in question have a fixed FSB? If so, I recommend having it chopped, grinded and refinished. You could even do it yourself.

Yes it does, and its a very good possibility thats the route im going. Just seein if any feedback to change my mind. Its an 11.5". Just wanting it to come out nice

Iraqgunz
06-14-11, 01:21
I don't know if mine is "nice" but it's fully functional and hidden by the rail so I don't care.

Yes it does, and its a very good possibility thats the route im going. Just seein if any feedback to change my mind. Its an 11.5". Just wanting it to come out nice

rob_s
06-14-11, 04:23

Was going to suggest exactly this. I have three done this way, one by ADCO and two I did myself. On the last one I cut off everything that wasn't absolutely necessary for function, including the front half where the front pin attaches.

Magic_Salad0892
06-14-11, 07:14
Chop down sight tower, or go with DD, or KAC Mk. 12 gas blocks.

tradja
06-14-11, 11:29
I did this recently on a 14.5" BCM lightweight barrel under a 13" Troy TRX Extreme, then had a local machinist pin and weld the FH back on.

I'm no machinist, but chopping the FSB myself was really quite easy. I used a hacksaw and belt sander, then finished with some cold blue. Unlike other scope-creep gun DIY epics I've had, this was straightforward and I'd do it again.

BBJones13
06-14-11, 11:47
Chop the FSB. Hack saw for the cutting and dremel for the shaping.

Todd.K
06-14-11, 11:52
Make sure to put a good coat of high temp paint on there, cold blue is very prone to rust.

Shave is the best option if you have an FSB on it.

If you don't have an FSB to shave, set screw WITH dimples in the barrel or clamp if no dimples. I'd get the set screw and pay to have it pinned on myself, I've seen a couple of rifles with gas blocks that shifted.

BCmJUnKie
06-14-11, 12:01
Make sure to put a good coat of high temp paint on there, cold blue is very prone to rust.

If you don't have an FSB to shave, set screw WITH dimples in the barrel or clamp if no dimples. I'd get the set screw and pay to have it pinned on myself, I've seen a couple of rifles with gas blocks that shifted.

Thank you. A good friend of mine just did his, it came out really nice. Since this is my first one Im gonna get him to stand by so I dont mess it up too bad. Im pretty good with building stuff so I dont think I will. But it cant hurt to have help

rob_s
06-14-11, 13:20
Make sure to put a good coat of high temp paint on there

good reminder. I used grill paint that I already had on hand for my smoker.

Iraqgunz
06-14-11, 18:18
I used Alumahyde on one and high temp 1100 degree black paint on another. Both are doing great.

DaBigBR
06-14-11, 18:22
I would also go with the shaved route. I had a coworker with limited mechanical expertise do his so fit a DD Omega over it...it required a LOT of chopping and shaping, but came out great.

MistWolf
06-14-11, 18:38
Cut the FSB. A visit to the office of Dr. Dremel and Nurse Bighammers is always satisfying

BCmJUnKie
06-14-11, 20:06
Dr. Dremel and Nurse Bighammers is always satisfying

Lol LOVE it:lol:

The_Hammer_Man
06-15-11, 05:17
+1 on the LOL's about "Dr. Dremel and co."

Using a bandsaw or a Saws-All make fast work of trimming a FSB down.

Under 5 minutes for the cutting and another 5 minutes or so to sand/grind it down and your done.

Also its a nice way to get rid of the big box of FSB's I have left over from "long tube" conversions.

Paint choices: Flat black "smoker" or stove paint seems to work best for me. YMMV

SteadyUp
06-15-11, 08:10
Does anyone have pictures of their DIY cut down gas blocks? I think it might help give people an idea of how much to remove (obviously you need to make it small enough to fit under the rail, but pictures are always nice).

uniform64
06-15-11, 09:56
Here ya go, from my C4 project. Even did it while on the BBL.

BCmJUnKie
06-21-11, 12:43
I took good advice and just did it myself, saved myself at least $50.
Thanks .
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/Danger131/DSC00640.jpg
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/Danger131/DSC00641.jpg

The_Hammer_Man
06-21-11, 15:11
Good clean work you two!

Kept your proportions and radiused the gas tube proper like.

BCmJUnKie
06-21-11, 17:05
Good clean work you two!

Kept your proportions and radiused the gas tube proper like.

Thanks man. Not the prettiest but it should work.

Packman73
06-21-11, 17:43

This is what I did and it came out great and is the best choice.

This is the one I did.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/001259.JPG (http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/149717/cat/500)

BCmJUnKie
06-21-11, 17:46
Im thinking the same thing. It only took a couple hours to do, that includes disassemble, cut, grind and blue...thanks to a friend/member here I got it blued also. And also thanks to members and Iraqgunz

Packman73
06-21-11, 17:51
Oops, came in a little late. Good work.:cool:

BCmJUnKie
06-21-11, 18:07
[QUOTE=PackerfanXD;1028423]This is what I did and it came out great and is the best choice.

This is the one I did. QUOTE]

Wow that looks really good man. Very nice.

Packman73
06-21-11, 18:54
Thanks.:)

SteadyUp
06-21-11, 19:48
Thanks for the photos guys; good work too.