PDA

View Full Version : Teach your kids how to shoot

johniac7078
06-14-11, 15:43
Hi Folks: I think we often forget, or at least too many do, that as shooting enthusiasts it is critical to each the next generation. The AR 15 is a great platform to introduce kids to the sport. I have been teaching my daughter, I think she is getting pretty good. Have a look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IRH_6CTAfs

Always stress the basics and SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY. We also do a safety briefing on the way to the range and before we start to shoot.

Take care.

evenodds20
06-14-11, 17:38
Its funny this topic came up because i just purchased a S&W M&P 15-22 for my 3 year old to learn on. I took him out for the first time 3 days ago and he loved it. Hes still a little small to hold the rifle up by himself but he tries to look down the iron sights and fires in rapid succession. Its funny as hell but im a proud dad. Actually, my wife bought the gun for me to take him with, kind of a present for him, but with the meaning and the holiday all wrapped together. I wasnt supposed to know about it til fathers day but as soon as i walked in from my motorcyclw safety class, he grabbed my hand and said "daddy daddy mommy bough u a gun" haha! That alone was worth more than the actual present. He always looks out for me.

Inkslinger
06-14-11, 18:58
I remember like it was yesterday...I was six years old the first time I fired my grandfathers .22lr revolver, his "Saturday night special". Starting out with an AR would be like going from Pong to Playstation.

tealio
06-14-11, 20:13
I was a little older the first time my dad let me shoot his marlin model 60 .22lr. Maybe 10 or so? He never really caught the gun bug, but I sure did. He gave me that old .22 a while back and it's a great shooter still.

I have an "almost 5" year old girl and another girl that's 18 months. Inwant to get them into shooting at an early age, but I'm not sure what age is appropriate, and I also don't want her (my oldest) to be scared of all the noise and get turned off by that. She asks to go to the range with me, but I don't think she understands where I'm going or what I'm doing. Any suggestions? I think this would be easier with a boy.

jbo723
06-14-11, 20:32
I have three daughters, a 17yr old, 11yr old, and a 3yr old. Everyone one of them thouroughly understand the just how dangerous a firearm can be if not handled properly and treated as a toy. I make the two older one recite the 4 firearm safety rules prior to any range session and let them work on the fundementals by handling the gun/rifle at home with dry fire exercises. They all have shown a genuine interest since and I take them out as much as I can. Obviously the youngest one still has a way to go but, she seems like the one that will share the same passions I have when it comes to everything that surrounds getting proficient with shooting.

halo2304
06-14-11, 22:52
I was a little older the first time my dad let me shoot his marlin model 60 .22lr. Maybe 10 or so? He never really caught the gun bug, but I sure did. He gave me that old .22 a while back and it's a great shooter still.

I have an "almost 5" year old girl and another girl that's 18 months. Inwant to get them into shooting at an early age, but I'm not sure what age is appropriate, and I also don't want her (my oldest) to be scared of all the noise and get turned off by that. She asks to go to the range with me, but I don't think she understands where I'm going or what I'm doing. Any suggestions? I think this would be easier with a boy.

I know what you're going through. My girlfriend has a son who's 5yo and I'd LOVE to take him to the range, but he's just not mature enough. I think that's the thing people should be looking at rather than a specific age to start the next generation of shooters.

evenodds20
06-15-11, 01:10
like i said b4. my son is 3. hes is relatively obedient so i gave it a shot. b4 we exited the car, i put his hearing protection on. he understands what it is since i make him wear it when he rides the lawn mower with me too (i own a small Landscape biz). anyways, i tried to communicate to him that he is going to hear alot of loud noises and that its ok. nothing to worry about. the first step out of the car.....POP. his eyebrow raised, and stood erect and looked to see what was going on. i bent down and asked if that scared him. he shook his head no. right there, i knew he was gonna be ok!

I think you just have to take baby steps with them. im not a believer in keeping toy guns away from kids. I also think that they are never too young to learn the basics. every time he gets a toy gun, i tell him NEVER point it at anyone and NEVER touch the trigger until you are ready to destroy whatever it is your weapon is aimed at. he may have a little trouble comprehending fully, but i think he gets it for the most part. he know not to point it at people.

As far as range behavior, it was all business. I made if very clear we were not playing any games. i let him know to sit in his chair, on the opposite side of the fire line, and stay seated until he grabbed my attention to get up. i was proud that he obeyed that command. he sat patiently waiting for his turn to try out his new rifle. I have let him hold it in the house before but under strict circumstances triple checking the chamber, making it safe, etc...

When he finished his first mag, he stood calmly while i loaded up a second. i think he got the message that guns are not toys. he knew that was not the place to play, and that i would end the trip at the first sign of immaturity or disobedience. To sum it up, he acted like a well disciplined soldier and did everything i asked. I think that age can understand, you just have to ask yourself if you have that control over your child. not that its a bad thing.

Both my 3 year old and my 1 year old are very obedient. When we go outside, they know not to go into or past the ditch in our yard unless my wife or I are at the end of the driveway. they know that if i speak, they stop and listen. it takes being stern, consistent, and fair. They may not like it but I only have to say lets go in once, and they both turn around and head for the garage. maybe its because i still believe in the old fashioned spanking, whereas my neighbors across the street get 20 minutes of cardio every day to get their 4 year old in because they do not believe in using the stern voice, or a pop on the ass once in a while. the boy knows they wont do shit, therefore he runs around all he wants.

bottom line, give it a shot. you can always call the trip early if things get out of hand. and introduce them slowly to it as well so u dont scare them. sorry for the long post, just thought i would give my 2 cents.

evenodds20
06-15-11, 01:37
might i add that the youngins tend to mimic what the bigger siblings are doing. well, thats the way it is in my house anyways. my daughter absolutely cannot take it if she doesnt get to do everything my son does. (son is 3, daughter is 1) if he lays down behind my sniper rifle in the living room, shes gotta do it. if we are hitting golf balls in the front yard, shes gotta be doing it. if he takes a ride on my motorcycle around the front and back yard, believe, shes gonna have to do it as well. my wife and i have evolved into extreme life enjoyers. we scuba dive (my son talks non stop about scuba diving and seeing sharks and fish) ski/snow board, we both ride street bikes, we fish, walk, ride bicycles, exercise/do half marathons (my wife, not my lazy ass) just all around have a great time. and my son is picking up on all of it. he sees the hard work we put in to live that life style, and i think eventually he will correlate that eventually as his mind evolves. he surprises me every single day with something new he has learned. and i think everyones kids can do the same.:happy:

5cary
06-15-11, 08:19
Great thread. I have a 3yo and a 5yo (boys). People that know me as a gun enthusiast are often surprised by the fact that I don't allow them to play with toy guns. I just don't want them seeing guns as toys you can point at people. As they go to school, and play over other children's houses, I'm can see losing control of this - but I'm still trying to teach them early not to treat any gun as a toy.

My intention is to start the 5yo on a 10/22 in the next year or so. I had never even considered the 3yo yet! Good stuff. I have to overcome some of my wife's trepidation. She's not entirely on board yet (and has not real interest, more's the pity).

evenodds20
06-15-11, 08:41
Great thread. I have a 3yo and a 5yo (boys). People that know me as a gun enthusiast are often surprised by the fact that I don't allow them to play with toy guns. I just don't want them seeing guns as toys you can point at people. As they go to school, and play over other children's houses, I'm can see losing control of this - but I'm still trying to teach them early not to treat any gun as a toy.

My intention is to start the 5yo on a 10/22 in the next year or so. I had never even considered the 3yo yet! Good stuff. I have to overcome some of my wife's trepidation. She's not entirely on board yet (and has not real interest, more's the pity).

i understand the reasoning for not playing with toy guns. but, i had them when i was a kid and remember being told not to point them, dont touch the trigger, etc.... so i figure if i understood at an early age, he hopefully will too. The wifes parents let her and her siblings have toy guns as well.

as far as the wife on board thing. My wife thinks its a waste of money to buy weapons. then have to buy ammo, range pass, time to shoot, etc. but over the years she has understood that there is a slight necessity for firearms. personal protection, competition, hobby/past time target shooting etc.

i actually had the M&P 15-22 on the mind for the rifle of choice to start by boy out on. we looked at the cricket but figured he would eventually out grow in, then we would have kids rifle in the safe for no reason. atleast this way she can fire it, as well as me. it will never get old or outdated. just a 22lr AR-15. She is the one that went out and bought it for me, for a fathers day present. he told on her so i got it early. haha. it took a while for me as well, by my wife now picks up ammo for me if i need it, and gives her opinion on accessories, as well as future gun purchases. She wants to get a taurus or beretta .380 for personal carry.

black op
06-15-11, 08:54
Great Thread! I have an 8 y/o and a 1.5 y/o. I started the 8 year old at about 4 years of age. Started with a 10/22 then progressed to the AR after a year or so. He loves to shoot both. This year we started with a Ruger .22 pistol. He does well with both the pistol and the rifles. I have mixed feelings on the toy gun issue. I have used air soft guns to teach my oldest "gun safety". It has worked very well. I do agree we need or it is our "DUTY" to teach them at a young age. I have great confidence that if my oldest were to ever come across a firearm at one of his friends house that he would know exactly what to do. I can only say this because I started him very young teaching him about safety and firearms.

tealio
06-15-11, 09:04
As far as the wife goes... She feels protected having guns around, but with 4 rifles, a shotgun and 2 pistols, she realizes what this really is. The chances of being the victm of any violent crime is statistically low. Peace of mind is great though, and it helps me be able to continue my hobby. Because that's what it is. All the training and range time and, of course, more guns (duh) is fun. I don't bug her about blowing money on makeup and shit, she leaves me alone about going to the range. If i can get the girls on board with me, then she'll have to find something else to complain about. :smile:

Bimmer
06-15-11, 13:31
I have an "almost 5" year old girl and another girl that's 18 months. Inwant to get them into shooting at an early age, but I'm not sure what age is appropriate, and I also don't want her (my oldest) to be scared of all the noise and get turned off by that.
She asks to go to the range with me, but I don't think she understands where I'm going or what I'm doing. Any suggestions?

I'm in the same boat. My daughter will be six in October. She sees me packing to go to the range and coming back, and she wants to come along. I want to take her.

Age appropriate: IMHO, a kid should be at least 5 or 6.

Evenodds obviously thinks differently, but then he also just did an MSF course and he takes his 3-year-old on his riding mower with him...
I'm not judging, just saying that he obviously worries a lot less about things that I do.

Anyway, she's tall for her age, but her arms were still too short to shoulder the Savage Mini Youth Cub I got her last time we checked. Maybe this Fall or Winter...

Suggestion #1: if you don't have one, get a .22. EDIT: I've also got a .22 conversion for my AR, in addition to the little Savage.

The last thing you want to do is try to teach a new shooter to shoot with full power .223 ammo...

Suggestion #2: Go to a range when/where you know it'll be empty, or go to BFE. There'll be a lot less distractions if it's just the two of you.

Suggestion #3: when you take your kid shooting, then just take your kid shooting, and don't expect to get any shooting done yourself.
Again, Evenodds expects his 3-year-old to sit still while he shoots, but I wouldn't let my daughter out of my sight at the shooting range.

I think this would be easier with a boy.

Wrong, IMHO.

I've taught a lot of friends and colleagues to shoot, and it's invariably MUCH easier to teach women than men.

I've spent a lot of time around little kids, too (I volunteer in my daughter's kindergarten), and the girls are almost always better behaved and less spastic than the boys.
Before my daughter was born I always thought that I wanted a boy, but now that I've seen what maniacs most little boys are, I'm glad I have a daughter.

black op
06-15-11, 13:39
I agree that when you take your kid shooting it should be about them and not about you. Most kids attention spans are very short so in no way can you expect them to sit there while you shoot. the only time I shoot when I take my son to range is to verify sights and such. The Range is the last place you wont your kid wondering off.

black op
06-15-11, 13:41
I also agree with easier to teach woman than men comment. Most woman I have instructed are very open to instruction and generally have no preconceived notions.

Bimmer
06-15-11, 13:50
The Range is the last place you wont your kid wandering off.

Wandering off is one concern...

What really worries me is when I see a father park his little kid (who looks still too young to be shooting unsupervised to me) with a .22 and a brick of ammo in one lane, and then he goes to the next lane to do whatever shooting he came to do...

Not quite father-of-the-year material, IMHO.

black op
06-15-11, 13:57
Bimmer, thanks for the spelling lesson.

I agree 100% I watch my son like a hawk when he is shooting. Maybe too much but the last thing I want is for him to put a whole in anything other than the target.

Dad and son time is precious to me. So when him and I are at the range its all about him. I know one day he will look back at those times with fond memories. I know I do remembering when my dad took me out.

Bimmer
06-15-11, 14:11
Dad and son time is precious to me. So when him and I are at the range its all about him.

Amen. Forgive the pop child psychology, but my impression is that most kids (even if they pretend otherwise) just crave their attention (especially their father's).

Bimmer, thanks for the spelling lesson.

Sorry, I'm compulsive. You mean: " ...put a HOLE in anything... "

I teach writing, and I can't stand a mis-spelled word, even in a quote, even when it's clear that it's not mine.

The one time I was put on probabtion on this forum was for correcting one of the moderator's spelling...

5cary
06-15-11, 15:05
What really worries me is when I see a father park his little kid (who looks still too young to be shooting unsupervised to me) with a .22 and a brick of ammo in one lane, and then he goes to the next lane to do whatever shooting he came to do...

Depending on the definition of "little kid", that would be my cue to leave the range. Perhaps with a comment to the range master (if there is one). I can't see not shoulder surfing a youngster at the range for any reason.

ssracer
06-15-11, 15:12
My boy turned 4 in feb. Haven't had him out shooting yet but I have already been teaching him gun safety at home. Plan on getting him something like a red Ryder for Christmas this year that will stay locked up with my guns till we take it out to learn. Also got a spare stock for my old 10/22 that I plan to cut down for his LOP.

My biggest concern is that he hates loud noise and I'm hoping that won't deter him. He does love wearing ear protection around the house and then screaming "can you hear me?" lol

5cary
06-15-11, 15:14
i understand the reasoning for not playing with toy guns. but, i had them when i was a kid and remember being told not to point them, dont touch the trigger, etc.... so i figure if i understood at an early age, he hopefully will too.
Different frame of reference, I guess. I had lots of toy guns when I was a kid, but did not shoot regularly until I was in the Marines. Guns were just toys to me (my parents were from overseas and knew nothing of the gun culture here - though my dad eventually did get a couple of guns and joined the NRA when I was in High School).

My oldest is already "making" guns out of stuff. He plays with other kids that have them, but he never wonders why he can't have a toy gun - we've had the conversation enough. The fact that I come home with a gun on my hip every night reinforces the "no toy" thing with him.

He does get to handle my firearms quite often when we talk about them, and he enjoys that. I don't want them to be a mystery to him.

Inuvik
06-15-11, 15:20
I have really mixed feelings about the whole topic of when to teach your kids to shoot.

I was personally turned loose with a Red Rider at age 8, with minimal supervision. That was a poor decision on my parent's part in hindsight. I bought my first firearm (10/22) at 15, and that was a much bigger affair for my parents safety wise. Lots of training, demonstrations by me of responsible behavior etc.

Now as a parent of a 4 and 2 year-old boys, I am constantly thinking about when the "right time" will be to teach them to shoot. No offense, but I don't see the point of taking a 3 year old shooting. It might be fun for you, but they are too young to learn much of anything, and certainly won't be defending themselves with a gun for many many years. I am more inclined to wait a few years until my boys can actually "get it" when I teach them. All kids are different, and the appropriate age will vary greatly.

Just my 2 pennies.

black op
06-15-11, 15:25
You make a good point about not being a mystery. I firmly believe a lot of the accidental shootings we here about are a direct reflection on parents not allowing their kids the chance or not allowing them often enough to handle (safely) firearms. I always have taught my son and will the little one too that if he wants to see one or wants to go shoot to ask and we will do it. I believe this has given him the confidence that a lot of kids have not been given. One of the first things I taught him was the 4 rules of guns. He is very good about that and I know he knows them very well. I can hand him anything and he keeps it pointed in a safe direction while keeping his finger out of the trigger guard.

evenodds20
06-15-11, 15:26
I'm in the same boat. My daughter will be six in October. She sees me packing to go to the range and coming back, and she wants to come along. I want to take her.

Age appropriate: IMHO, a kid should be at least 5 or 6.

Evenodds obviously thinks differently, but then he also just did an MSF course and he takes his 3-year-old on his riding mower with him...
I'm not judging, just saying that he obviously worries a lot less about things that I do.

Anyway, she's tall for her age, but her arms were still too short to shoulder the Savage Mini Youth Cub I got her last time we checked. Maybe this Fall or Winter...

Suggestion #1: if you don't have one, get a .22. EDIT: I've also got a .22 conversion for my AR, in addition to the little Savage.

The last thing you want to do is try to teach a new shooter to shoot with full power .223 ammo...

Suggestion #2: Go to a range when/where you know it'll be empty, or go to BFE. There'll be a lot less distractions if it's just the two of you.

Suggestion #3: when you take your kid shooting, then just take your kid shooting, and don't expect to get any shooting done yourself.
Again, Evenodds expects his 3-year-old to sit still while he shoots, but I wouldn't let my daughter out of my sight at the shooting range.

Im not sure i understand what your getting at with mentioning my MSF course and then taking my kid shooting, but ill comment on what i think you mean.
Ive been riding for 10 years or so. But never took the course because at Shaw AFB they made the civilians pay their way through it. here at keesler its free for me. well, i want to become a Rider coach now to help others out, so i figured starting from the beginning and going through the whole thing would be best. so to answer what i think ur implying, NO im not a new rider riding my kid around the front yard. i have years of experience and a totally clean riding record!

as far as riding a mower, whats the problem with that? he likes to steer and at 4 mph riding on level grass, i see absolutely nothing wrong with it and i can promise im not the only one on this board that feels that exact same way. i know you prefaced your responses with "not judging" but its the same thing as saying "no offense" and then calling someone a fat tub of lard!

and to address the comment about not getting any shooting time for your self when you bring your kid:

a friend and I both went to the range together. I only took the 1 M&P15-22 to try out. it was primarily meant for him but yes i did send a couple mags down range my self! it was a brand new rifle. My son was less than 4 feet from me the whole time and if i was shooting, my range partner was not. he was watching me shoot while sitting next to my kid! I honestly dont see anything wrong with any of the comments ive made and would be glad to submit them to Social services for review. I guess its a situation where "ya had to be there" because clearly peoples minds wander to the most fathomable disaster they can dream up! ....and heres my preface: Im not offended, just clearing up the doubt buddy!:cool:

black op
06-15-11, 15:29
I have really mixed feelings about the whole topic of when to teach your kids to shoot.

I was personally turned loose with a Red Rider at age 8, with minimal supervision. That was a poor decision on my parent's part in hindsight. I bought my first firearm (10/22) at 15, and that was a much bigger affair for my parents safety wise. Lots of training, demonstrations by me of responsible behavior etc.

Now as a parent of a 4 and 2 year-old boys, I am constantly thinking about when the "right time" will be to teach them to shoot. No offense, but I don't see the point of taking a 3 year old shooting. It might be fun for you, but they are too young to learn much of anything, and certainly won't be defending themselves with a gun for many many years. I am more inclined to wait a few years until my boys can actually "get it" when I teach them. All kids are different, and the appropriate age will vary greatly.

Just my 2 pennies.

Yeah this is a tough one for sure.

evenodds20
06-15-11, 15:39
You make a good point about not being a mystery. I firmly believe a lot of the accidental shootings we here about are a direct reflection on parents not allowing their kids the chance or not allowing them often enough to handle (safely) firearms. I always have taught my son and will the little one too that if he wants to see one or wants to go shoot to ask and we will do it. I believe this has given him the confidence that a lot of kids have not been given. One of the first things I taught him was the 4 rules of guns. He is very good about that and I know he knows them very well. I can hand him anything and he keeps it pointed in a safe direction while keeping his finger out of the trigger guard.

i agree with this statement. I have first hand experience. Both parents were police officers. Dad was detective, and mother just a street cop/prostitution decoy!
well, i was always fascinated with firearms, and as a result wanted to play with them. my dad NEVER wanted me playing with toy guns, bb guns, or handling real guns. So, when they were not home, i wouldhave to go in their closet and look at them. i didnt touch them, but just look. i can see how a kid in my same boat, but with a little less discipline would actually pull it out and start playing with it. even at the age of 12,14,15,16, my dad didnt want me messing with bb guns or paint ball guns. i can understand a kids determination at being totally closed off from something, and it making him want it that much more.

markdh720
06-15-11, 15:49

I agree that the right time is subjective to the child. I have a daughter who soon turns 5. She is interested in my guns and respects that they are not toys. She'll "help" me clean them and I'll let her touch them while I explain how to be safe with them. When she starts telling me how to be safe with them, then she will get to shoot.

I've asked my wife for a 10/22 for my 30th birthday coming up, so that I can teach my daughter to shoot with that. I really just always wanted one for myself, but it sounds more noble if I include the kid. ;)

evenodds20
06-15-11, 16:03
I agree that the right time is subjective to the child. I have a daughter who soon turns 5. She is interested in my guns and respects that they are not toys. She'll "help" me clean them and I'll let her touch them while I explain how to be safe with them. When she starts telling me how to be safe with them, then she will get to shoot.

I've asked my wife for a 10/22 for my 30th birthday coming up, so that I can teach my daughter to shoot with that. I really just always wanted one for myself, but it sounds more noble if I include the kid. ;)

i did the same thing for my 22. I kept dropping hints that i was interested in it, and bam. she finally got it. haha! but really, its the perfect caliber to teach a kid ( no matter what age), as well as its cheap and fun to shoot, all while keeping the cool look of the AR platform. its not just for him, but he was a big part of the sales pitch to her lol!

arc
06-15-11, 16:45
I'm so glad this thread came up. I've been wondering how other people handle this with their kids.

My daughter is only 2, but I'm eagerly awaiting the day she asks about my guns or range trips so I can start talking about the 4 rules.

I was planning to split them up into 4 rules for kids (Stop, don't touch, leave the area, tell an adult) and the 4 rules for adults (every gun is loaded, finger off trigger, point in safe direction, be aware of target and beyond). Once she has all of those down we'll see if she can behave herself for a range trip.

At the range I had definitely planned for it to be all about her while I supervise and load mags. I even got her a little bolt action .22 (mossberg 802) so I can load single rounds and make sure she takes her time.

Clearly all of this is planned for years down the road. Right now mostly what I get is "Daddy go away"

-James

agr1279
06-15-11, 21:32

I am in the same boat. I have a 4.5 yoa and a 9 wk old little girl. This really isn't aimed at the youngest one. She wants me to teach her how to shoot (along with fight bad guys). She sees me carry both an AR and 870 in from work everyday. So she know what they are and I need some way to get her to understand what they can do.

Dan

Atticus Rex
06-15-11, 21:36
I took my two biggest little boys to the range with me a few months ago...only my 7 year old Sam was really wanting to shoot. And after a mag of 22lr he got bored with the 10/22 and wanted to shoot papa's black rifle. Well, I happened to record his first time shooting it..and seeing his face after that shot was priceless and a proud moment. My son Sam officially has black rifle disease.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO9tCS6tETs

But yes, as the OP states, it's a duty for any parent to get their kiddos *safely* and *properly* handling and shooting guns. Get 'em over the curiosity, the fear, and any other lost gun culture stigmas that exist. You'll not only be keeping everyone safer by teaching them but you'll add to your family's arsenal of zombie supression experts! One night for "family night" we all learned the 4 basic firearm safety rules. My 6, 8, and 10 year olds can recite them anywhere at anytime. What's more is when they see movies or shows with people holding guns (youtube videos too) they immediately recognize violations of those four rules! Very proud of my kiddos!

Glock Star
06-16-11, 01:16
Great thread! It really is important to get your kids involved early if they show interest. Only a child's parent knows when the time is right. I would never presume to know a child better than his own mother or father just based on age.

I took my two biggest little boys to the range with me a few months ago...only my 7 year old Sam was really wanting to shoot. And after a mag of 22lr he got bored with the 10/22 and wanted to shoot papa's black rifle. Well, I happened to record his first time shooting it..and seeing his face after that shot was priceless and a proud moment. My son Sam officially has black rifle disease.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO9tCS6tETs

Awesome! His face really did light up after squeezing off that first round. My daughter will be 5 in September and I picked up a Crickett .22 (in pink of course) for her last year that she will probably get for her 6th birthday. She LOVES helping me do anything with my guns now so after she masters the fundamentals with the Crickett I can definitely see a .22 dedicated build coming her way. We have been talking about the 4 rules (kids version) for the last year or so and I'll start teaching her THE 4 rules very soon.

What 4 y/o girl who thinks she is a princess 99.9% of the time loves getting her hands dirty cleaning a BCG? My girl :D

DasBulk
06-16-11, 03:34
Having no rugrats of my own, I've taken to my nephews. So far theyve all shot ARs and some .22pistol except two. Youngest was 4 when he pulled the trigger on my AR with 5.56. The oldest at 10 hasn't quite exibited the wherewithal to fire it without the .22 kit. But he's working up to it. His father already gave him his old marlin 30-30 so he has that to look forward too.
I do have two nephew, though, that are still working up from red ryders. Their father/my brother is an Marine, now TxDPS captain. But he's married to a child pscycologist. So yeah...

I fired a gun once before my 20s. Family was adamantly against firearms. So when my older brother bought an d marlin .22 the mystique was abound. I was ten or so. I wonder where I'd be if I had what my nephews have at their age. I didn't buy my own guns till my middle twenties.

Bimmer
06-16-11, 09:01
Im not sure i understand what your getting at with mentioning my MSF course and then taking my kid shooting, but ill comment on what i think you mean.

... i know you prefaced your responses with "not judging" but its the same thing as saying "no offense" and then calling someone a fat tub of lard!

I'm not passive aggressive, and if I say I'm not judging, then I'm really NOT judging.

I was just pointing out that we're all averse of risk in different ways, and we all deal with our kids and our concerns in different ways.

There's no way I want to tell anybody how to raise his kids (no more than I want anybody telling me how to raise my daughter).

For example, I just got back from Rome, and I was surprised to see Italians riding their scooters with their 2-year-olds on their laps (at least the kids did have helmets on).
Obviously that's not something I would do, but they seemed perfectly comfortable with it. Fine. It's their kids...

As for the MSF course and the riding mower:
There's an inherent risk in riding a motorcycle, and you're obviously OK with that level of risk. I was, too, once, but not anymore.
And I wouldn't let my daughter anywhere a lawn mower, but you're obviously comfortable with letting your son ride with you.
And I'm still mulling over whether my 5-year-old is mature enough to go to the shooting range, and you've already taken your 3-year-old.

So, I'm guessing that you're generally a lot less risk averse than I am. Again, this doesn't mean I think there's anything "wrong" with what you're doing, it just means you're obviously comfortable doing a lot of things I'm not.

A friend and I both went to the range together... My son was less than 4 feet from me the whole time and if i was shooting, my range partner was not. he was watching me shoot while sitting next to my kid!

Yeah, this makes a lot more sense than how you explained it the first time...

I had images of you putting your 3-year-old on a chair and telling him "stay" while you shot "his" gun.

I honestly dont see anything wrong with any of the comments ive made and would be glad to submit them to Social services for review... Im not offended, just clearing up the doubt buddy!

I don't see anything wrong, either!

Bimmer
06-16-11, 09:08

A note about guns for little kids: size and weight is a real problem.

The typical .22 is designed for adults, and the "pull" is too long for little kids, and they can't get the butt up on their shoulders at all.

So, if you really want a 10/22, then get one, but don't expect that it'll fit your 5-year-old... At least take her along to a gun shop and see whether she can hold one.

I made the same mistake... I got an old bolt action Marlin .22 "for my daughter" and then figured out that it was too big for her.
Now it's just "mine" and the Savage Mini Youth Cub is waiting for her (this was not really a bad outcome).

Smuckatelli
06-16-11, 09:09
I strongly recommend safety glasses especially when the kids are firing gas operated weapons.

Smuckatelli
06-16-11, 09:12

My young ones started shooting when they were 6 & 8. Their rifle is a CZ 452 Scout, the pull was just right for the 6 year old.

black op
06-16-11, 09:20

The typical .22 is designed for adults, and the "pull" is too long for little kids, and they can't get the butt up on their shoulders at all.

So, if you really want a 10/22, then get one, but don't expect that it'll fit your 5-year-old... At least take her along to a gun shop and see whether she can hold one.

I made the same mistake... I got an old bolt action Marlin .22 "for my daughter" and then figured out that it was too big for her.
Now it's just "mine" and the Savage Mini Youth Cub is waiting for her (this was not really a bad outcome).

Great point! My solution to this was first I change the stock on my 10/22 to the blackhawk with retractable stock second I used a bench with a sand bag. Worked very well.

evenodds20
06-16-11, 09:57
I'm not passive aggressive, and if I say I'm not judging, then I'm really NOT judging.

I was just pointing out that we're all averse of risk in different ways, and we all deal with our kids and our concerns in different ways.

There's no way I want to tell anybody how to raise his kids (no more than I want anybody telling me how to raise my daughter).

For example, I just got back from Rome, and I was surprised to see Italians riding their scooters with their 2-year-olds on their laps (at least the kids did have helmets on).
Obviously that's not something I would do, but they seemed perfectly comfortable with it. Fine. It's their kids...

As for the MSF course and the riding mower:
There's an inherent risk in riding a motorcycle, and you're obviously OK with that level of risk. I was, too, once, but not anymore.
And I wouldn't let my daughter anywhere a lawn mower, but you're obviously comfortable with letting your son ride with you.
And I'm still mulling over whether my 5-year-old is mature enough to go to the shooting range, and you've already taken your 3-year-old.

So, I'm guessing that you're generally a lot less risk averse than I am. Again, this doesn't mean I think there's anything "wrong" with what you're doing, it just means you're obviously comfortable doing a lot of things I'm not.

Yeah, this makes a lot more sense than how you explained it the first time...

I had images of you putting your 3-year-old on a chair and telling him "stay" while you shot "his" gun.

I don't see anything wrong, either!

I appreciate the explanation. I understand your message isnt meant to tell us/me how to raise my kid. I just didnt want everyone to start thinking worst case scenarios and then subconsciously link them to my outing without actually reading it from my post. thats why i reiterated and explained further. the short version is....i ride my bike like a girl. to keep my insurance low, and make sure i make it home. I no what i have and i no what it can do. under very strict circumstances will i crack the throttle a bit. i still have yet to hit triple digits on the speedo and ive had it since feb.

the mower is a zero turn. not that its a big difference, but i just feel like its another one of those bonding things. like i said in my original post. I am safety conscious. I make both my kids where those blaze orange stihl hearing protection u get from ace hardware or wherever stihl is sold. I also make them wear the eye protection and a mask to keep the dry debris out of their face but they usually rip it off after a bit cuz its way too big for them. but all in all, i dont go cutting on inclines with a kid on board. ill let him get on in my yard cuz its completely flat. he stays well away when im edging, trimming, or blowing. and they usually always have their sunscreen and a hat.

i know what you mean about the safety aspect. i just wanted everyone to know im not just some redneck drinking a beer and running over the yard with a kid in diapers on my lap. both my wife and i are very protective of our kids, we just both feel like we have more than average control of our kids and with that, can participate in activities some others wouldnt dream of.

DeathMetal
06-16-11, 14:03
I know what you're going through. My girlfriend has a son who's 5yo and I'd LOVE to take him to the range, but he's just not mature enough. I think that's the thing people should be looking at rather than a specific age to start the next generation of shooters.

I agree totaly! Maturity level is the biggest key here.

sgtjosh
06-16-11, 20:52
Hi Folks: I think we often forget, or at least too many do, that as shooting enthusiasts it is critical to each the next generation. The AR 15 is a great platform to introduce kids to the sport. I have been teaching my daughter, I think she is getting pretty good. Have a look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IRH_6CTAfs

Always stress the basics and SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY. We also do a safety briefing on the way to the range and before we start to shoot.

Take care.

I just bought my boys (10 and 11 y/o) a Davey Cricket .22 LR single shot bolt action rifle with a peep sight. Before going out shooting, they had to sit through a safety class and pass dads safety test questions. They did well and had a great time. We are going out again this weekend.

evenodds20
06-17-11, 10:02
my wife and i took my son to a few gun stores just to get opinions and see if anything fit him. the cricket was pretty good, but the M&P 15-22 fit him better. so thats what we got.

Surf
06-17-11, 13:01
Age isn't as big of a factor as is maturity of the child. It also depends on the exposure and the type of education that they receive on the topic. Also the child needs to show an interest.

My 7yr old son has more knowledge of the weapon, how it operates, how to function check them, about fundamentals of shooting, firearms safety and practical shooting skills than most adults. He started learning at the age of 3 with basic safety in mind and it all started with his toy guns or squirt guns. His progression then went into nerf guns and then airsoft. The next level might be air rifles etc, before the final progression into say a .22 caliber type.

tealio
06-18-11, 10:30
My marlin 60's feel small to me, but maybe they would be too big for my daughter? She's at her G'ma's for 2 weeks right now so I can't check by letting her hold it. What would be an average LOP for a 5-yr-old girl?

The_War_Wagon
06-18-11, 10:56
I envy you guys with boys you can shooting with. My sons all have Autism, and while they're VERY high functioning, I'm not sure they'll ever be able to handle serious firearms.

Here's two of them at Cub Day Camp last year, shooting BB guns.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Scouting/100_6704.jpg

My oldest likes archery better than BB guns, and that's OK too. #3 son (the younger of the twins by 2 minutes - he's much higher functioning than his twin brother, who DIDN'T go to Day Camp BECAUSE of that) thinks he's Audie Murphy. I'd brought him on Family Day when he was 4 a few years ago, and he got to shoot during lunch. He grabs the gun and says, "NO - Tommy do it by himself!!!" :rolleyes: And of course, he can't keep his finger off the trigger. :o

We're having fun in Scouting, but they're the MAIN reason I own firearms - they CAN'T defend themselves, so if it ever comes down to it, I'LL need to.

Bimmer
06-18-11, 12:41
What would be an average LOP for a 5-yr-old girl?

I'm guessing about 10" or so...

For reference, the Savage Cub's LOP is 11", and it's still awkwardly long for my little girl — her arms are still too short.

By way of comparison, if I collapse the stock all the way, then she can shoulder my AR and get her right hand around the pistol grip just fine (with me standing by, holding the weight), but she still can't reach the foreend with her left hand.

Of course, 5-year-olds come in different sizes, but mine is big: off the charts for height, and now five-and-a-half.

BTW, I looked at the Cricket, but the on-line reviews I read were right: the trigger is horrible. I don't like open sights, either. For a bit more the Savage has a sweet trigger and an adjustable aperture sight (it was $186, brand new, OTD).

evenodds20
06-19-11, 01:25
I'm guessing about 10" or so...

For reference, the Savage Cub's LOP is 11", and it's still awkwardly long for my little girl — her arms are still too short.

By way of comparison, if I collapse the stock all the way, then she can shoulder my AR and get her right hand around the pistol grip just fine (with me standing by, holding the weight), but she still can't reach the foreend with her left hand.

Of course, 5-year-olds come in different sizes, but mine is big: off the charts for height, and now five-and-a-half.

BTW, I looked at the Cricket, but the on-line reviews I read were right: the trigger is horrible. I don't like open sights, either. For a bit more the Savage has a sweet trigger and an adjustable aperture sight (it was $186, brand new, OTD).

my wife and I checked out the cricket quite a few times. even though they had some pretty cool colors and packages, with the scope, i just thought adding a little bit more the this M&P15-22 was the best all around bet. i can load 1 at a time if i want, i can change the LOP, it can be shot my me or my wife as well and be fun and cheap to do so.

a1fabweld
06-19-11, 02:50
My daughter is 6-1/2 & my son is 4. I stress to them constantly that if their water gun was real, they'd kill someone. I'm pushing the safety of firearms heavily. They really take it seriously but I'm going to wait until they are about 8 to start shooting. First with a Cricket. They each already own matching BCM AR's, 1911's, HK clones, GSG's, & 10/22's. They know it and ask periodically to see "their guns".:D I also have literally thousands of rounds for each of them to enjoy the sport of shooting in the event that laws tighten up or prices skyrocket. I want to make sure they enjoy shooting when the time is right.

I'm contemplating starting them shooting airsoft in the backyard to understand & get a feel for safety, sights, & position. I think this will make the transition to real guns much more pleasant.

AMMOTECH
06-19-11, 09:03
My dad passed his love of hunting on to me and I started shooting and deer hunting at age 10. {Took my first buck when I was 12.} We started out with safety, operation of the weapons and some dry fire. I tried to do the same with my daughters but they do not want to hunt; my yougest does like to shoot which is a good thing.

Some shots of her on the G19 & AR. (first range trip)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/AMMOTECH/IMG_9962.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/AMMOTECH/IMG_9963.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/AMMOTECH/IMG_9967-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/AMMOTECH/IMG_0049.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/AMMOTECH/IMG_9977.jpg

:D

Harv
06-19-11, 11:09
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/harv24/Spring2010020.jpg

Already on it... she is 7 in this pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/harv24/Spring2010012.jpg

Her pellet gun

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/harv24/Spring2010013.jpg

The results...

RWBlue
06-19-11, 11:33
It is funny how some kids get it and some kids don't.

I was teaching some yard apes a couple weeks ago. There were issues with coordination and there were issues with concentration.

I think I learned something in the process.
#1. Use a sing shot rifle.
#2. You can not start from scratch and expect to finish in one day.

GLOCKMASTER
06-24-11, 15:40
It's investing in their future.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/Kids%20Range%20Time/KidsShooting136.jpg

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/Kids%20Range%20Time/KidsShooting128.jpg

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/Kids%20Range%20Time/KidsShooting111.jpg

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/Kids%20Range%20Time/KidsShooting076.jpg

hunt_ak
06-24-11, 16:28
Since we're adding pics ;)

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/hunt_ak/Guns/IMG_5250.jpg

Bullseye!! HAHA!!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/hunt_ak/Guns/IMG_5255.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/hunt_ak/Guns/IMG_5240.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/hunt_ak/Guns/IMG_5234.jpg

lifebreath
07-09-11, 23:08
My boys love to shoot. Went to the range with my 11 yo today ...

http://youtu.be/R5wr5xmEBxk

http://www.lincolndiagnostics.com/public/doug/guns/AJH-shooting1.jpg

abaran
07-10-11, 15:50
I took my 6 year old today.
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn153/abaran720/untitled.png

a1fabweld
07-10-11, 17:24
I took my 6 year old today.
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn153/abaran720/untitled.png

That's awesome man! What's that he's shooting? My girl is 6yo & I'm itching to take her to the range.

abaran
07-10-11, 21:06
Just a single shot 22
It was really nice to be able to sit at the range by ourselves.
We were able to work on safety and I was able to dedicate all my time to him.

Travelingchild
07-16-11, 10:54
Don't have kids but this is my entry 22 for people who want to learn to shoot,
Last time a buddy's 8 year old wanted to shoot I loaned it out.
Two months later couldn't remember who had it.:smile:http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd214/fallsafe/tacsol005.jpghttp://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd214/fallsafe/tacsol002.jpg

overbyc1
07-18-11, 23:17
My 4yo is showing interest, but I'm certain he is not ready. I need to make sure his excitement doesn't trump my ability to have absolute control of his actions. I'm certain it will come in time. He is learning that good mild behavior has its rewards. :)

evenodds20
07-19-11, 02:03
im glad all of you are waiting for just the right moment to let your kids "pull the trigger" so to speak. I know everyone has a different comfort level. Im a rather young parent at the age of 26, with a 3 (almost 4) year old boy and a 1.5 year old girl. maybe its just me but im not releasing him with a weapon and telling him to just have fun. at 3 years old he just wants to sit in daddy's lap and see what its like. kinda like driving the car. you don't just toss him the keys and tell him to be home at 9. you enter the road you live on, let him sit in your lap and steer all the way to the driveway. same difference. my son knows what all the colors of the stop light mean, and the shape of a stop sign. Im flabbergasted that he's so intelligent. just as with guns, he knows not to touch anywhere around the trigger until your ready to shoot. he knows never point it at anyone, or anything (including the dog). he understands death and what it means. but sometimes, you just need that father son smile and giggle of approval. i dont know. maybe its me trying to reach that extra distance for some father/son bonding since my father walked out on me when i was 3. either way, we are safe, sound, and secure. Responsibility is #1 on the range, and as long as you have total and complete control of the situation, you should have a relatively smooth trip. I shot my first weapon at the age of 18. sad isnt it. but hey, thats what a step father that resents you, and a mother that is at work all the time does.

yellowfin
07-19-11, 10:07
I'm so glad my wife wants to move before having kids: they can't shoot here in NY until age 12. That's WAY too long to wait.

762xIan
07-20-11, 18:35
I had my kids out shooting starting around 8 and 9ish. BB guns earlier. Instilled in them all the safety rules. So far so good. How early do you start your kids out?.....It really depends on maturity level, don't kid yourself, seriously evaluate your kids if they can handle the responsibility.

That said, I am one proud papa here, my youngest son (13) just got his Rifle Shooting merit badge in Boy Scouts. We were short handed with adults at camp, so he did it all on his own, he spent almost all his free time during "open shoots" to qualify. Very suprised at how he went about this and how proud he was when that last target was checked and he made it.

RHINOWSO
07-21-11, 07:57
I started my son at around 8 w/ a BB gun, more for the safety and rules than anything else. He quickly disliked the inaccuracy of it and it was awhile until we could get him to the range with something more acceptable.

A couple of weeks ago we went with a SW K-22, Beretta 87, CZ452 (suppressed), SCAR 16s, and HK P30/9MM.

He had a blast and enjoyed everything but the HK (we shot it last and he was really tired).

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/Range%20day/SW18.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/Range%20day/BERETTA87.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/Range%20day/CZ50YDS.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/Range%20day/FNSCAR16.jpg

Results w/ CZ, center & right targets @50yds.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/Range%20day/IMG_0262.jpg

HK P30 - we shot it last and should have tried it earlier before he got tired.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/Range%20day/HKP30.jpg

Cheers,

Rhino

PS - video of the CZ452 Suppressed. :smile:
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/Range%20day/MVI_0260.mp4

SSGGunBunny
08-31-11, 08:38
I started my son off around 5 with general weapons functions and safety, he is 6 now and we moved up to BB guns. I am gradually working him up.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/0dce1.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/0dce1)