PDA

View Full Version : Upper: Noveske or LMT?

buckjay
06-15-11, 00:57
I'm curious as to what the consensus is out there regarding Noveske and LMT these days.

I have a LMT MRP upper which I'm happy with (its my first), however a friend has offered me a really sweet deal on a Noveske 14.5" monolithic VLTOR upper (the one listed here: http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lcmv-556&cat=137&page=1&search=&since=&status=).

I'm only considering this because I'd prefer short as possible and LMT doesn't offer a 14.5" DI Barrel - however if I'm giving anything up (besides the MRP system) then I'd prefer not to make the switch.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

El Pistolero
06-15-11, 01:16
If you already have the monolithic LMT I would just keep it. You can find 14.5" barrels for the MRP out there, as well as various other lengths, in stainless or chrome-lined, gas-piston or DI, in multiple calibers. The MRP is a great system if you are willing to take advantage of its quick-change features and own multiple barrels for it.

If all you want is a 14.5-inch barrel on a monolithic platform then you would save money by just buying a 14.5" MRP barrel versus buying a Noveske upper: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=234978306
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/LMTL7NA1B.aspx

Just my take on it.

buckjay
06-15-11, 01:42
Thanks for the response!

It wouldn't be a matter of saving money however, as I think I could most likely make a bit of money switching my upper from the LMT monolithic upper to the Noveske VIS (He's offering me the upper for $900). So assuming I never took advantage of the MRP system, would I gain anything by switching to the Noveske?

I just wish I could shoot it and get some hands on experience, but unfortunately he's in Texas so I can't check it out before buying.

Dave

MikeCLeonard
06-15-11, 01:53
Dave,

I don't think you would gain anything over your MRP by going to the Noveske. Noveske is known to have some of the most accurate chrome lined barrels, but LMT is right up there with them and also thought of as very accurate.

Might not be a concern to you...but one thing that always kept me away from the VIS receiver is how big the diameter of the hand-guard rail is. The MRP rail has a much smaller diameter which I like. To me, the VIS is just too wide...especially if you have rail panels installed.

I vote to stay with your LMT and just pick up one of their 14.5" barrels.

buckjay
06-15-11, 01:57
Mike,
The rail diameter is a huge deal for me - I tried the DD and I didn't like it, the MRP felt so much nicer.

I think I'll just stick with the MRP :)

Thanks!

El Pistolero
06-15-11, 02:00
Good choice. Noveske makes fine rifles but in this case you are not really gaining anything by buying the Noveske upper from your friend, despite the known quality of their barrels.

ALCOAR
06-15-11, 02:12

Kahlendrrari
06-17-11, 22:21
if what your friend is offering you is a Noveske 14.5 with VIS, i would just stick with the MRP, and get another barrel. the VIS uppers are nice, but the damn rails are too big, I have some decent sized "richard" beaters and the VIS rails just don't feel right.... they are too big and bulky. i am a Noveske fan, and i am even trying to sell a rifle with VIS, but if i were you i would just get another barrel