PDA

View Full Version : Diamondback DB9/380

eightmillimeter
06-15-11, 08:06
Little company popped up in American Rifleman with a review of the DB380. Now it seems they have a nice small 6rd 9mm as well. Wonder if anyone has any experience with these. The DB380 seemed to have some documented issues with reliability and then the DB9 has not been out long.
There is a forum for these guns and customer service guy for the company posts regularly and stands behind their product and keeps people informed... kind of like when the president of Charles Daly was a member here before they went under... I like that.

I am going to try and find one but in the mean time if anyone comes across one please share your experiences.

Norinco
06-15-11, 08:29
My buddy and I have been putting his DB380 through the ringer and the results are less than desirable. FTF, FTE…We can't even get a round chambered on a full mag.

bigghoss
06-15-11, 11:28
I've read they need premium ammo to work reliably but I'm not about to buy one to test that. sucks that the guns don't work because the DB380 feels great in my hand and I've been looking for something exactly like the 9mm version for a while.

Norinco
06-15-11, 11:36
We were using Winchester white box.

iCarbine
06-15-11, 11:49
I've shot exactly one mag through a friend's DB380. It functioned perfectly and had usable accuracy at 7-10 yards. It was difficult for me to get a good grip on it being that it's so small. I honestly don't find it a very safe weapon in my hands because it's small size made it difficult for me to properly manipulate. I was very surprised at the almost non-existent recoil (I have no idea what the loading was other than it was FMJ). With such light recoil, I just can't imagine much effectiveness is present on the business end, not that I'd volunteer to stand in front of it.

Other than this very brief experience, I know nothing about them. I, personally, don't care for .380s or tiny guns.

Abraxas
06-15-11, 11:54
We were using Winchester white box.

Not exactly premium ammo. But personally anything I own better still cycle it

RioGrandeGreen
06-15-11, 12:16
I bought a DB380 and it worked fine for a about one hundred rounds with a couple FTE, FTF. Then it just started to FTE, FTF every other round. Cleaned it, lubed it and retried different ammo and still it FTF. I read in their forum that it is a picky ammo eater. My recommendation is not to get any of their products until they work out the bugs. Anybody want to buy a DB380MS cheap? Ha Ha.

Norinco
06-15-11, 13:44

My thoughts exactly.

bigghoss
06-15-11, 16:34

same here

jonconsiglio
06-15-11, 16:58
A good friend bought the 9mm. There was a few things about it I didn't like. Now, take this for what it's worth as I now only carry and own full size handguns. If I had to get one of these, I'd opt for the Kahr. I've shot them back to back and prefer the Kahr.

Now, obviously it's a snappy gun. I'm a pretty good shooter, but every little mistake really shows on these small guns. I had a hard time shooting it accurately compared to the Kahr at 7 yards and due to the slick feel of the gun, it wasn't easy to get a good grip on and fire follow ups easily.

This is on a very limited number of rounds, about 8 mags total, but it was enough for me to know I don't want one. I was set on getting ne for a while after trying the Kahr as I assumed the more expensive, more "stylish" gun would be a better choice as a back up. I'm very glad I got to shoot one first. He ended up selling it after a short time.

Spahr0311B
06-15-11, 21:23
I bought a DB380 after reading an article that gave it good reviews. That is the last time I will ever buy a firearm based on a magazine article. I fired the reccomended 100 rds for the break in period, experiencing numerous FTF's and FTE's. I called there customer service, left a message, and recieved no response for a few weeks. I had sold the gun (with full disclosure about it's problems) before they got back to me. Since then I have bought a KelTec .380, have had no problems with it for 500+ rounds.

RiggerGod
07-01-11, 18:46
As an off shoot of Diamondback Airboats ($hit) and Keltec ($hit… innovative lately but still $hit) ... I am not inclined to look at one much less buy one! Horrible CS and products that won't work right fresh off the block?!? Don't walk, RUN away from these!!!

Too bad too because I like the overall lines of the design.

Buckshot TX
07-01-11, 20:48
I just WISH the Diamondback worked as well as the average Keltec! Great little design whose execution has been chock full of fail:rolleyes:. The failure rate of all DB380s I have 1st hand knowledge of has been a perfect 100%.