PDA

View Full Version : Future M4/M4A1 contracts

Slater
06-15-11, 08:16
So is Colt still the best bet to win this award or do FN and others have a reasonable shot?:

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=f5b06e4839ee252feb6fc4dccb252722&tab=core&_cview=0

CAVDOC
06-15-11, 08:30
I would still bet Colt would have somewhat of an inside track but it all come down to low bidder on the package. I don't imagine the gov is looking to procure a whole lot more m4's- they have a boatload.I always wondered why they didn't just buy rebuild kits for exisiting rifles and retro fit them. Then again they are working to convert all our current allies in Iraq and Afghanistan form ak's to the m16 platform, so thousands of our older m16A2's are being "donated" to those forces.
While I'd say 80+% of deploying troops are getting m4's there are always a few guys toting rifles when deployed(this is Army, I understand the USMC is still issuing the full length rifle,except for nco's and officers who are getting m4's.)

The rumor mill I have been keeping tabs on suggests the USMC may go the way of the Canadians with a 20 inch barrel rifle but now with a tele stock.

Spooky130
06-15-11, 10:18
I was watching a show on TV - Discover/TLC/NatGeo - and it showed people tearing down old US military small arms and rebuilding them. They would check all the parts, replace the beat down, out of spec parts, then refinish/anodize the whole thing, and test fire them. From what they showed there were even small arms that had been through big fires after the vehicle they were in was hit by an IED. The process was pretty thorough and seemed to make sense. So I doubt the military disposes of old small arms just because they are old. Which falls in line with the question of why we need more M4/M16s - are we giving them away by the cargo ship full or are we replacing combat losses?

Spooky

C-grunt
06-15-11, 11:25
I bet FN will get any future contracts. They underbid Colt by a significant amount for the M16 and I dont see why they wouldnt for the M4.

piperpilot3tk
06-15-11, 16:04
Don't forget DD. I toured thier facility six weeks ago and Josh told me they are getting ready to break ground on a new building that is about 25%-30% larger than the existing factory. This facility will be operated as an addition to the current factory.

randolph
06-15-11, 16:22
you guys are over looking the obvious.

Spike's Tactical has this wrapped up :p

Wouldnt the question be, who besides Colt and FN has the capacity to produce the required numbers.

C-grunt
06-15-11, 18:21
Wouldnt the question be, who besides Colt and FN has the capacity to produce the required numbers.

When discussing this elsewhere, several people said that Ruger and S&W could produce the numbers needed.

superman
06-15-11, 19:04
USMC are riflemen 20''

piperpilot3tk
06-15-11, 20:33
(this is Army, I understand the USMC is still issuing the full length rifle,except for nco's and officers who are getting m4's.) /QUOTE]

[QUOTE] USMC are riflemen 20''

Exactly! This is why the Marines don't need a DMR.

sgtjosh
06-16-11, 01:45
you guys are over looking the obvious.

Spike's Tactical has this wrapped up :p

I can just see the spider logo on GI weapons...