PDA

View Full Version : Butler Creek flip-up sizes for S&B Short Dot LE?

flyfishdave
10-17-07, 21:07
Hello!

Can anyone confirm the Butler Creek flip-up scope cover sizing for the S&B SD LE? Searching has revealed that 02A OBJ/18 EYE works with the 20mm Gen I and II. The PDF specs for the SD LE is unfortunately missing the diameter of the eyepiece so I cannot figure out what size I need, and don't know if the 4mm increase in the eye occular corresponds directly to a 4mm increase in diameter.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Dave.

HolyRoller
10-18-07, 00:21
When all else fails, as it did with me, dismount your Short Dot (it IS in a LaRue mount is it not?) and haul it to a fair-sized sporting goods store. They should have a template that you can set your scope on and see which size you need. Gander Mountain in Fayetteville NC did that for me and even though I rarely buy anything there because almost everything at Gander is chronically overpriced, I sure did buy a Blizzard see-through flip-up for the eyepiece end. Turns out they don't make a 30mm Blizzard that would go on the front end, but I'm mostly worried about sweat and rain dripping on the back lens so that's all right.

S&B sent along a clear bikini set with the scope, which lasted me about a week until I dripped cleaning solvent on the front one. When I put the covers back on and looked through them, I about had a heart attack and stroke because all I could see was fog and I was sure I had ruined the lens. No, it was only the plastic lens cover.

However, I'm not so sure that lens caps are the greatest idea for a Short Dot on a fighting carbine. The clear Blizzards are easy to see through for shooting at 1.1x and easy to flip up when you need absolute clarity on 4x. However, then the cap is in your field of view, and rather distracting, when you lower the carbine enough to see over the optic and scan your sector. Also, the clear cap reflects sunlight and may be hazardous to your stealth. I might just slip my Blizzard back off and keep a lens cleaning cloth handy.

UPSguy
10-18-07, 02:51
It uses the same size.

Nick S
10-18-07, 15:15
The sizes are listed on the sheet that comes with the scope. I will post it when I get home.

Nick

ST911
10-18-07, 21:49
I just bought two sets of BC flip-ups for two scopes. The sizing guide listed sizes corresponding to the template. There was so much variability in fit within the same sizes however, that I ended up trying out every single cap on the shelf in each of three sizes to find a good fit. QC, mispackaged, I don't know, but what a pain. Recommend the dismount previously suggested.

flyfishdave
10-19-07, 16:03
It uses the same size.

You are correct. Heard back from Mark Cromwell over at S&B and confirmed that the Zenith SD LE uses the same size:

02A OBJECTIVE
18 EYE

PALADIN-hgwt
10-19-07, 18:44
xxxxx

UPSguy
10-20-07, 03:02
The problem with BC caps is the packages are not sealed at the factory, and the caps themselves are not marked with meaningful part numbers. It is VERY common for some Bubba to have put them back in the wrong package around my area. It's always best to take in your optic, as suggestions regarding fitment are sometimes wrong.

Paladin
He doesn't have to worry about that if he justs gives Mark another call and orders them straight from S&B.

Warp
03-31-13, 12:25
Alright, I've searched for this all over the place, and I'm not getting anywhere. I know this is an old thread, but its covers the topic and I want to avoid the "USE THE SEARCH BUTTON" Nazis by showing that, well, I did.

You are correct. Heard back from Mark Cromwell over at S&B and confirmed that the Zenith SD LE uses the same size:

02A OBJECTIVE
18 EYE

What does this mean?

I keep seeing these sizes, as I am trying to figure out which Blizzard caps I need to buy for my TR24, but when I get to somewhere that has them for sale how does the above translate into the listed sizes?

I see them for sale here

http://www.opticsplanet.com/butler-creek-blizzard-see-thru-scope-covers.html

and here

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=748680#BVRRWidgetID

Which ones, specifically (link preferred) do I need for my Trijicon Accupoint TR24?