PDA

View Full Version : Best Glock rear sight tool??

mactastic
10-17-07, 22:45
I'd like to get a few opinions from those of you that have used a Glock rear sight adjuster. There are a few choices and none are cheap. I'd like to avoid buying a piece of crap.

Thanks much for any suggestions!!

Robb Jensen
10-18-07, 04:17
The MGW works very well and fits both the 9mm/.40 and .45/10mm size slides.

John_Wayne777
10-18-07, 07:18
What Robb said. I have the MGW tool and it works great. As a bonus, it even worked on my M&P when I switched out the standard 3 dot Novaks for some Trijicons. Because S&W hides a spring under the rear sight, it would have been almost impossible for me to perform that change without the MGW tool. The old school "brass punch and big-ass hammer" approach would have been almost impossible.

If you buy a lot of pistols it might be worth your while to get one of the nice universal units.

markm
10-18-07, 08:19
For simple adjusments I just use a punch with a wide tip.

For installing a rear sight, you can simply use a bench vise to squeeze the sight 75% of the way in and drift it the rest of the way with a punch.

I don't do enough intalls to buy one of the tools.

10-18-07, 10:02
I've had an MGW for a couple years now, and can recommend it highly. I remember it being a lot cheaper than the Glock tool.

On top of making installation a lot easier, I also like having the tool for zeroing the sites. It's a lot nicer to be able to make minute adjustments with the turn of the handle, versus hitting stuff with a punch and hammer.

nationwide
10-18-07, 10:08
If you can get one tool for both slide sizes I would...

Thing that sucks about the Glock tools is you need two :(

markm
10-18-07, 11:03
On top of making installation a lot easier, I also like having the tool for zeroing the sites. It's a lot nicer to be able to make minute adjustments with the turn of the handle, versus hitting stuff with a punch and hammer.

The beauty of the Glock, however, is that if the front site is installed properly, no rear adjustments are necessary.

Simply center the rear sight in the rear dovetail cut, and you're done.

I've seen guys who have some windage on their rear sight. Usually this is because they did not true up the front sight blade. (slightly twisted due to the nature of how the front sight blade installs with a screw instead of a dovetail cut.)

NotDylan
07-11-10, 17:18
Raising this one from the dead. I'm wanting to purchase a MGW tool for Glocks and would like to be able to use it with Ameriglo, 10-8, and possibly Warren rears. Do I want the regular or tall version?

bgoode
07-11-10, 22:14
I have a tall I think. I mainly looked at straight sides or angled sight sides. Look at that option also.

ck1
07-12-10, 10:30
FWIW, I've installed at least 10 sets of sights on Glocks and have NEVER needed a specific sight tool... even a couple sets of tritium rears for friends that I was scared might break (didn't happen, worked fine).

I use a piece of soft pine 2"x1" cut to maybe 10" and a framing hammer. In most cases I try to remember to put the slide in my freezer for 10-15 minutes (may not do anything really, but since heat expands metal...) and I use some rem-oil in the dovetail before I commence the wacking, if you don't have a vise, an old washcloth or shop towel under the slide is just fine, just hold on tight... with rear tritiums I used lots of light taps at half-strength, with plain steel ones I hit 'em like I mean it.

ucrt
07-12-10, 12:39
My wife bought me a Kaiser Uni-200L Unitool for Christmas and it works very well. I've adjusted and changed several rear sights on Sigs and changed out one rear sight on a Glock. It is supposed to be good for a bunch of different pistols.

Seems like a well built tool but I think if you had a lot of sights to do, the rubber protective coating on the "pusher" might wear down. If that did happen, from what I understand, Kaiser stands behind the tool 100% otherwise, I'd slip a piece of leather in there to protect the sight.