PDA

View Full Version : NO +P in M&P 9's ?!

1oldgrunt
06-15-11, 15:35
is this true or them just covering their collective behinds? I KNOW Glocks can shoot +P+ all day long as I had one reamed to 9x21 for IPSC major. So what's with S&W ?

Thanks in advance.

sorry edited in I meant +P+ dooooh ! sux getting old !

mtdawg169
06-15-11, 15:45
is this true or them just covering their collective behinds? I KNOW Glocks can shoot +P+ all day long as I had one reamed to 9x21 for IPSC major. So what's with S&W ?

Thanks in advance.

Where did you hear this? The M&P 9's generally shoot better with +P ammo and the barrel twist was supposedly chosen specifically for use with 124gr. +P (NATO spec.) ammo.

jaredm1
06-15-11, 16:01
Since the M&P9 is derived from the M&P40, I would think +P is fine. Can't say I've shot a large volume of it through my own though.

mini4m3
06-15-11, 16:14
Totally bogus

HuttoAg96
06-15-11, 16:26
manual says not to shoot +P+ as the pressures aren't regulated - it says nothing about "normal" +P

shred4Him
06-15-11, 17:11
I have access to almost unlimited amounts of military 9mm, nickel and brass cased, (couple of operator friends) and that is all I shoot. ZERO problems with it. Shoot as much of it as you want.

iCarbine
06-15-11, 18:07
Page 11 of the M&P manual states that the use of +P may result in more frequent need of service, however it does not state that the use of +P ammunition is forbidden.

It does state that the M&P is not to be used with +P+ ammunition because there is no recognized standard for this ammunition.

edited to add:The SAAMI specs I found state 9mm has a max avg. pressure of 35,000 psi, while +P has a max avg of 38,500 (according to handloads.com).

jwperry
06-15-11, 18:59
My everyday carry M&P9 had 250 rounds of Winchester RA9TA to test function and gets a mag full each range session as I try to shoot my carry ammo on a regular basis.
I've seen no accelerated wear compared to my 'shooter' M&P9 which will get gets up to 800 rounds a month.

arcticlightfighter
06-15-11, 20:27
All of my 9's have had a steady diet of Federal +P and +P+ with no issues.

It is more accurate in my experience

ccosby
06-15-11, 21:38
manual says not to shoot +P+ as the pressures aren't regulated - it says nothing about "normal" +P

Yea thats the thing, +p+ isn't really a standard. SW is doing more of a cover your ass by saying they don't recommend it. Have a few friends that have shot a lot of +p+ through theirs. I've shot some through mine but generally just shoot standard ammo or +p.

LanceOregon
06-15-11, 22:41
Yea thats the thing, +p+ isn't really a standard. SW is doing more of a cover your ass by saying they don't recommend it. Have a few friends that have shot a lot of +p+ through theirs. I've shot some through mine but generally just shoot standard ammo or +p.

You are absolutely correct. It is just legalese to protect them from lawsuits. There are some submachine gun 9mm +P+ loads that are not safe to shoot. But any standard commercial +P+ ammo is going to be just fine. I've shot 3 of them without any ill effects:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/DSC_4413a.jpg