PDA

View Full Version : What to do with all my 9mm brass?

Vlobb
06-15-11, 17:05
I've been collecting my brass almost every range trip for the last 2+ years. I've accumulated about 25lbs, roughly 2500-3000rds (maybe more) of mixed 9mm brass. Most of it (2000rds) was Fed Am Eg 124gr but there are several other makers like Win, CCI Brass, Rem and Speer. I do not re-load ammo and have no interest whatsoever in starting but I'm not sure what to do with it.

- Does a bunch of mixed 9mm brass actually hold value to re-loaders?

- Would it have to be sorted and separated by brand to be sold to someone for re-loading?

- Would it just be better to scrap it?

Like I said, I have no idea what to do with it or what it's value (if any) actually is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mizer67
06-15-11, 18:19
You should be able to sell mixed 9mm brass for ~$35-$45 per K shipped (use a flat rate box), unless there are some in there with crimped primer pockets.

You'd probably get ~$5 more per K for same head stamp, but I doubt it's worth your time.

Or, you could trade it in to Scharch http://www.scharch.com/brassexchange.php and get $2.25 per pound, but you still need to ship it there also.

markm
06-16-11, 09:32
I toss all my 9mm straight into the recycle bucket. It's just too plentiful to pick up any time you want some at almost any shooting spot.

With all the rifle and 45 ammo I load, 9mm just isn't worth the trouble.

Boxerglocker
06-16-11, 10:14
I toss all my 9mm straight into the recycle bucket. It's just too plentiful to pick up any time you want some at almost any shooting spot.

I have to agree with Mark. 9mm is all I load these days.... 2500 rounds a month. I have a 5 gallon bucket full of it and got it all for free.
Where I shoot indoors on the weekends when all the occasional shooters come out. I tend to sweep the lanes clean of all the brass no reloaders leave behind (asking first).
I get it home run it through shell sorters keep the nine, separte the .40 and .45... when it has added up to a 1000 or so, clean it in the tumbler then sell but usually trade it for something I need.

markm
06-16-11, 10:54
It's worth a couple bucks a pound in the current market.... so I use it to help fill my recycle buckets... then turn that cash into other reloading supplies.

mizer67
06-16-11, 10:54

Too many brass vultures where I shoot, esp. since 2008, but even before.

Every bucket, bay and firing station is picked clean almost before the brass hits the ground.

Even 9mm is picked clean. His brass has some value, at least in my area.

markm
06-16-11, 11:01
Wow. Out here there's a few spots where you never find the range picked over.

Boxerglocker
06-16-11, 12:41
Wow. Out here there's a few spots where you never find the range picked over.

I shot Tac rifle with my new S&W M&P 15-22 last Saturday. The gun ran flawlessly, though the operator was flawed on a couple of stages.
I wanted test the gun out in dynamic movement with various types of 22lr ammo 230 rounds of Federal Auto Match, CCI Tactical during and another 100 or so after plinking around but came home with this booty.

http://photos.plaxo.com/photos/get/55/11/130/210/187507/4290462-m-0.jpg

About 5 and half pounds worth :D Lots of LEO's shooting up thier department allocation of practice ammo and leaving the cases behind.

GunnutAF
06-17-11, 14:47
Yep I'd just scrap it! I tried selling the 9mm that I'd pick up but nobody would buy it! So scrap bucket it goes! If I don't shoot it scrap bucket it goes!